Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Character] Horns and muscles

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Popol interpolator
Hi everyone! =) So this is my first post on Polycount.

I'm currently working on this character.

troll_turn.jpg

And here is a closer shot of his face.

troll_face.jpg

I was wondering if any of the many talented character artists on this forum could check the anatomy of my character. I had quite a hard time transposing the human anatomy on a creature with such proportions (tiny legs!).

I know the transition between the head and the rest of the body is too harsh but I kept these as two different meshes because I'm still not really sure about the head.

Thanks in advance for your comments and critiques =)

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You're linking your dropbox files incorrectly. Just go to your public folder in Windows Explorer, rightclick the image you want, Dropbox -> Copy public link.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Thanks for telling me. I should be fixed now =)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    some nice volumes- I feel like the face needs to be fatter to match whats going on down in the gut.
    The stylization is dramatically different from the face to the body as well. while the body has cartoony proportions, the face looks more realistic.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    konstruct : Thanks for your advices. So I reworked the face based on what you said to make it match the body.

troll03.jpg

I exaggerated some features of the face, like the chin, jaw and the brow to make it look more "cartoony" like the body. But I still kept it quite realistic since I think the contrast between the face and the body is quite interesting and funny to watch.
    With these changes done, I think the head fits better, let me know what you think =)

I also did some color tests for the skin

troll_color01.jpg

if anyone is wondering what matcap I used, it's a custom made by zbro365. Here is his youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/zbro365

Sorry for the super ugly eyebrows, but I really don't know how to make them look good. I think I'll just photosource them on the lowpoly.

Any idea of how I could improve this?
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Hey, just a quick bump as I really would love some more critiques on the anatomy to know if it's going the right way.

Here's the concept

concept02.jpg

I sculpted his beard today, couldn't do much more as I have to work on other stuffs for school.

troll_beard.jpg

Again, feel free to critique my work =)
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    It's been quite a long time since my last post, I haven't had as much much time as I wished to work on this character because of other school works, personal projects and other minor problems.

So the concept for his clothing is duelist/adventurer from the 18th century. I still have some stuffs to add. So feel free to critique =) Hopefully I'll be done with the highpoly this week.

3/4

troll34.jpg

Front/Back

troll_front.jpg

Close ups

troll_close_ups.jpg

PS: the sword is just a decimated place holder, not the final model.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Finally finished this guy =D

It's more or less 14.5k triangles, including the sword (which is quite expensive, 3k triangle, because of its design ). And it's using a set of 2048 maps (diffuse, normal and spec)

CnC are always welcomed even thought I don't plan to make any big changes on this character right now as I have many other works due in a few days. I'm just happy I finally managed to completely finish a character for the first time, rigging and animations included! =)

Screens taken from 3dsmax viewport with xoliul shader

troll_beauty_master.jpg

troll_neutral.jpg
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Looks good. It would be nice to see a little fabric texture on the vest and pants. and having the vest and pants the same color makes it harder for the eye to separate them. I think there would also be more of a skin bump or scaring where the horns come out. Other than that, it's a nice design.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Thanks a lot for your input katana =)

I wasn't too sure about adding some fabric texture on his clothes during the texturing process, as I thought it would be too distracting. But you're not the first person to suggest me to add fabric texture so I'll give it a try.