Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UDK] Supernatural: Winchester's Blood

Hi everyone, first serious post here. I started my school in 3D animation in September and we will have to create an actual game at the end. And because a love the TV show Supernatural, i'm going to create one based on the First episode of the seventh season. So here's what i have so far

So i'm starting this W.I.P with the iconic object of the TV show, the car!!

Here's the screen shot that i Have so far

facebooky.jpg

indiegogo3.jpg

The game will happen inside this building, so i'm not really interested on working on the outside. But still, I'll keep working a bit on it

And here's the screen shot for the cinematic at the begenin.
indigogo2.jpg

indigogo1.jpg

Trying to recreate as close as possible the desk of bobby!

And part of your program, your teacher want to show us how yard a game is by ''forcing'' us to create a account on Indiegogo (an alternative of kickstarter, but for canadian), so here's the link

Indiegogo Link

This is no spam or publicity, just trying to show how big this is for me and this is the only time I will talk about this! ;P

Last thing, i already did Sam & Dean winchester back in october (with bobby and Death), but i will work on them more (specially Sam). So what you are seeing isn't the final result but more of a 3D sketch
But this is what i have so far

facebookes.jpg

fulla.jpg

raphm.jpg

http://youtu.be/tn4EWNAISR8

Replies

• lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing, really?!??
  • Link702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam looks freaky lol but the scenery looks great. of course I'm a complete noob at all of this so I think everything looks good. I love Supernatural so keep updating please.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    The environments are looking good, maybe it'll get better if you add some color variation.:)
    The characters are really scary o.o

And I don't think you can raise money to do a Supernatural game without licensing it, right?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The IndieGoGo business seems like a really bad idea. I'm sure if whoever runs the site knew what your teacher was asking, they'd disallow it. Particularly in the case of your project where it's based on an existing IP. There's a real possibility of getting sued by Warner Brothers for trying to make money of their property, even if it's unlikely to actually make any.

Anyway, let's take a look at your art.
    Your environment work is looking solid. It'd be good to see some wires, but it looks like you've done a good reproduction of a scene (albeit not one I'm familiar with) using a what appears to be a pretty low polygon budget.

Your texturing could use some work. There are a few places where it looks like you've got stretched UVs and texture seams. There's also a lot of places that look like they've just got photos pasted on as textures. You can sometimes get away with this - I think the Persian rug looks fine, for example, but generally you'll need to work up your textures a bit more so that they fit together nicely and sit in the scene well.

One thing that would give your scene a lot more punch is some good lighting. It's make them both a lot easier to read by helping to seperate the elements and generally add solidity to your world.

Your characters are going to need a lot of finessing. The look like they're generally proportionate, but they have a bad case of the dreaded tube arms and legs. You need to take a few steps back, get yourself some good references of both human anatomy and clothing and really push these characters. Have a look at some of the other work on Polycount for how people do this. Given you're working pretty low resolution, the stickied Low Poly thread might be a good place to start.

Once again it's far too evident that you've just pasted photos onto these guys. That's something you really can't get away with on characters - photographic overlays if used subtly can be fine, but just pasting a face onto the geometry is always going to look a bit janky.

Anyway, I think you've got the beginnings of some decent stuff here. Your interior environment really isn't all that far from being a really good low poly scene. Your character work needs quite a bit more work, but you're off to a good start.

Keep at it, mate.
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz, Link702

Thanks, and cannot add more color tone cause the TV show have that kind of tone

Jackablade

Ya, i posted the character only to show what i have so far, but i know i have a lot of work (and i mean A LOT!! :p) And i did use picture because i really wanted to use the real character of the tv show. And the only way was to find some picture of the actor and use it.

But i know i have to step back and probably start over, at least Sam and Dean (the first 2) cause they where my 2 first one.The last one that i did is Death (the link of YouTube) and i think is good enough (other that is shoes...)

As for the environment, because i'm not good in programming, i can't go really high and create different setting in the menu. But for the interior, i will try to add some more poly, to make it more realistic.

and for indiegogo, if CW is suing me, it will look good in my portfolio :P
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a small update

indigogo5.jpg

If anyone like this, it would be nice if you like my facebook's page!

https://www.facebook.com/Supernaturalsgame
  • Low
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low wrote: »
    ehhhh...

could you be a little bit more specific on what bugging you?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think the main thing you need to watch out for based on your latest image is obvious tiling. It's particularly obvious when you have a very distinct feature, say a piece of graffiti and then repeat it, but it's also noticable in some of your brick walls where there are particular bricks that stand out.

If you did want to add specific features like graffiti, you'd be best to add them as decals, either by using another UV channel or applying them on a seperate polygon with an alpha channel.

Oh and probably best to just ignore the trolls and bots.
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your right, i didn't know you could add another channel for the texture. I will do that,

Thanks you!
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so i was tired of posting picture. So i did a walk-through instead. One of the bp it the tilling. Graffiti on another uv channel should look less repetitive
    Sorry for not adding a song, i still don't know what to put :P
    So, here's the Video

Youtube

But the biggest pb is that i didn't filed up the whole scene. I don't want to do 50 house that i will copy past, copy past, copy past...

Is there a cheap way to fake a city?
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the long delay. Forgot to keep updating this tread,

So here is the outside

Youtube link

and here's the inside of the house. So the bobby office!

youtube link

PLEASE, CRIZ ARE WELCOME!!!
  • Barnhill8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your post.www.cleaningcassette.com
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some people are complaning that bobby's office is a little bit too dark, is it true?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    frankly, looks like a mess
    too dark, too messy, i cant identify anything clearly in your screens
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Superfranky, when you are saying a mess, are you talking about the scene it self or just that its too dark and you cannot see nothing?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    too dark, textures are too muddy
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanks, i will try to ajust the lighning with youtube. As for the texture, what do you mean by muddy? (sorry, i speak french)
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that last scene looks pretty cool in a minimalist sort of way, but the sky is really ugly.
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the criz!!

as for the sky, i know. Trying to render a sky with Vue and change it!
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some update for the game.

facebook2j.jpg

8581d506cb38479c97e2503.jpg

facebook4m.jpg

facebook2b.jpg

facebook3f.jpg

couple of thing to add like the physic behind the crucifix and the light. Texture for the stair in the back. Also, add someone crucify.
    Still note sure about the beams, they look too clean and lonely
  • heyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyguy polycounter lvl 5
    Hey lebaje. I freaking love Supernatural. I like your last batch of screens. It's looking pretty interesting. I think the main thing that's bothering me in most of your images is the lighting. You seem to just have white and gray lights and that's pretty boring. Most of the environments are brown and gray so I think having a red or yellow or blue light somewhere would help out. Like in Bobby's room, instead of having static noise on the tv, maybe you can have the tv stuck on a channel with some color like blue or green.

And on that last scene, maybe you can have some blue moon light coming in the from stained glass window. Have that blue moon light light up the scene more than those white lamps you have there.
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Heyguy.

I don't want to add too much colorfull picture cause in supernatural, there's not that much color. It all desaturated. And for bobby office, it just to show the dynamic lightning. In the cinematic, there's will be something.

Also, i didn't find the way yet, but the church picture will have a big sunbeam coming out of the windows, that should do the job.
  • lebaje
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    in your first few posts your environments look bad, the last few screenshots however show youve improved a lot and look amazing ... your characters are disgusting though they are poorly modelled poorly textured and make ppl cringe
  • lebaje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you for your...honnestly lol

Ya, the first picture look realy bad, i should updated them.

As for the character, they are disguising LOL. Back in september, i tried and fail to create the character, and i have to do it agains in a couple a weeks, so we will see what they will look like. But i was never good in character...
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Your characters inspired me to make this:

7vdfi.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    jmt wrote: »
    Your characters inspired me to make this:

7vdfi.jpg

LOL

but really those are offensive. As for the environmental it could use a lot of work and so could your animations, you're trying to do way too much at once.