Final scene:
    Sam kills the Walker
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    dfacto wrote: »
    Final scene:
    Sam kills the Walker

OOOOO that's a good one! i totally forgot, we'll actually get to see them fighting :D
    the walkers i mean
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I'm trying to remember, wasn't that part in the 3rd book, not the second? I may be way off here, it's been a while since I read the books.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah, i seem to remember the fist of the first men at the end of book 2, and the aftermath in the beginning of book 3, including
    sam killing the walker

i could be wrong though.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah that's in the third book. Wouldn't be surprised if they moved it up though, to keep the found obsidian fresh in peoples minds.

Anyone else a little dissapointed with the land beyond the wall? The books describe places much more mountainous with lots of forests. Nothing but sky and flat lands in the series. Dunno why they couldn't have gone to the forests of Northern Europe to shoot.

Which reminds me, is there an article about where they do do their shooting? I'd be very interested to know. Apparently some of the first series was filmed in Northern Ireland.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah my sister was in northern ireland doing some of the horse riding "stunts". i think they film some of the dothraki stuff in malta?
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    You're not alone in being disappointed with the land beyond the wall. I always pictured it as a kind of Boreal Forest. I think it was described that way in the books too. Filming in Canada during the winter would have been perfect for that. Although, relocation may be an issue. :P
  • JoeCyriac
    The Rains of Castamere finally gets a tune. You can listen to the Season 2 OST on Youtube.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfTvtWYBek"]The Rains of Castamere (Game of Thrones, Season 2 soundtrack) - YouTube[/ame]
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    A little too mumbly, don't you think? Should have hired [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr-buV4tYOA"]Malukah [/ame]to compose it.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    As much as I love her cover, she is *not* the one who composed it, nor is that her natural voice. It's heavily edited with effects.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWVa1vTiscc"]Game Of Thrones Season 2 | Episode 9 Promo "Blackwater" - YouTube[/ame]

ohh lala...
  • JoeCyriac
    Personally, I really like the National version. It's very bleak, as it should be. Although I'd love to hear Malukah's rendition of it. :) The whole season 2 OST is great to listen to.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    my my my, this show is BADASS!! (i have to go read these books ASAP) i can't keep waiting this long for a new episode!
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    man, this series really, REALLY blows my mind... damnit, never thought id find something in the same level of walking dead and lost, even better :O

im watching 2x06 tonight, and for fucks sake, cant wait for some fire action hahahahahah

the creators found the perfect mix to keep people watching, blood, boobs and fire. hehe
  • uncle
    Damn that was intense.
    I hope onion knight and tyrion(pretty sure he will) will make it alive.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    man, that battle was on par with the two towers ending imo. fantastic stuff for a tv show!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    fuck that was awesome.
    I've been feeling like, for this season and the last episode especially, that it feels slow because each episode has this sort of building momentum, that something big is just about to happen, and then it kinda almost does but mostly off-screen. And then the next episode does the same thing. So you get this big awesome/emotional lead up like
    with the shade,
    and then it just shows up for 2 seconds in the next episode. Or
    Theon taking Winterfell. You knew when he set sail in the previous episode
    that something big(ish) was going to happen but it happened in-between. So you don't get the proper sense of release that you would with a couple good action scenes, just more tension.

See I was tricked. They built it up with little teasers so what felt like a build that should have payed off was just a splash. A rising crest of tension leading to a tidal wave of draction.

That's good fucking tv that is.
  • vargatom
    Well it's a Song of Ice and Fire so I imagine there'll be some of both around, eventually...
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    They built up the tension very well. Overall I was happy with it. Would have liked it to have
    been set during the day but what can you do.

'Lord Varys knows what you had for breakfast three days ago'. :D
  • zicoV
    I'm a little bit sad that they left out the whole gaint chain business but i suppose the battle of blackwater bay was alright overall.
    The battlefield felt a little empty some times though. Would have liked to see at least some fighting on the shattered ships.

Also
    the little cut Tyrion suffered is hardly gonna make him lose his nose :(
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    This last one was undoubtedly the best episode of the show (for my taste). Finally (!) an episode with decent pacing. They just focused on one story and told it properly. None of this cutting around every 5 minutes to show me a 5-minute clip of what happened to some random dude/gal.

It says it was actually written by George RR Martin? And was directed by someone new as well. That could explain it.

At any case, I loved it.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    zicoV wrote: »
    I'm a little bit sad that they left out the whole gaint chain business but i suppose the battle of blackwater bay was alright overall.
    The battlefield felt a little empty some times though. Would have liked to see at least some fighting on the shattered ships.

Also
    having not read the books i didn't know what was coming and screamed out loud when that happened... my reaction probably isnt a spoiler but it's not very manly either:(
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Also

watch it again, it's more than just a "little cut". it's pretty damned deep actually... as in, through the bone.
  • zicoV
    watch it again, it's more than just a "little cut". it's pretty damned deep actually... as in, through the bone.

Okay maybe "little cut" was an understatement but i got disappointed when i saw it.
    Guess i just imagined half his nose and upper lip getting chopped off
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Okay maybe "little cut" was an understatement but i got disappointed when i saw it.
    Guess i just imagined half his nose and upper lip getting chopped off
    It definitely went pretty deep, but I agree, I was disappointed with the scene. Unless it hit his brain, it's not going to make him pass out, just scream in pain I expect. In the book he had some other injuries as well if I recall correctly. They should have had him get smashed about first.
  • vargatom
    Guys, think about the realities for a second.
    Cutting up the actor is not an option and the kind of makeup you'd expect to see would require CG in every shot.
  • Carbon14
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    Indeed, and realistically his character is awesome. I would rather see him in episodes as often as needed, rather than sparingly because of a huge cgi budget.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    It definitely went pretty deep, but I agree, I was disappointed with the scene. Unless it hit his brain, it's not going to make him pass out, just scream in pain I expect. In the book he had some other injuries as well if I recall correctly. They should have had him get smashed about first.
    He may have passed out from surprise, or fear. I mean, someone was literally a hair away from killing him. The shock would freak anyone out I'd say. Considering the fact that he was scared before leading the charge, I'm not surprised he passed out. But as you said, I was expecting him to get half his face slashed, and more.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message

Also

Completely agree on the first point, why they took Tyrion's triumphant moment away from him I'll never know.

Also agree on the second point.
    If he had a wide gash that opened up, no way would that require CGI. Where are people getting that from? A shallow prosthetic that runs quite wide in the general direction that he did get sliced would work fine. He's going to need some make-up work anyways, that was always going to be the case.

Also, I think you could definitely pass out from the pain of sharp steel cutting two inches into your face. I'm surprised he didn't lose consciousness immediately. He did in the book, after all
  • ScudzAlmighty
    given the fact he didn't actually pass out until after the cavalry arrived isn't it possible he passed out from relief? Sort of an "oh good, they can deal with this crap for a few minutes while I just lie here and bleed" moment?
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Completely agree on the first point, why they took Tyrion's triumphant moment away from him I'll never know.

Also agree on the second point.
    If he had a wide gash that opened up, no way would that require CGI. Where are people getting that from? A shallow prosthetic that runs quite wide in the general direction that he did get sliced would work fine. He's going to need some make-up work anyways, that was always going to be the case.

Also, I think you could definitely pass out from the pain of sharp steel cutting two inches into your face. I'm surprised he didn't lose consciousness immediately. He did in the book, after all
    I'm pretty sure it would require some amount of CGI, since he loses his entire nose pretty much. That, or it would require a TON of makeup, all the time. Since, well, this guy never dies (in the books, so far).
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    But, he has a huge flat segment above his nose (must be a dwarf thing I guess)They could have just put it there. No need to alter what nose he does have, it already looks like its been carved off at the top :P

Tyrion-Lannister.jpg

I bet when it came time to re-affirm contracts, Dinklage said
    let's discuss this scar....
    . The chick who plays Daenerys had the nudity clause taken out of her contract.

Mind you, maybe we should wait till next week till we actually see the thing. :P
  • samcole
    That song that Bronn sang is now stuck in my head. Today is going to be a good day.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah i'm glad they've started using some of the songs from the books. good stuff!
  • vargatom
    Also agree on the second point

He lost half his nose in the books, there's no way to do that with regular makeup. Think Voldemort or Red Skull on how to do it.
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    can I just ask a stupid question?
    Who was it that slashed Tyrion? It looked like one of the kings guard, which made no sense to me?
  • vargatom
    It was who you thought it was.
    Tyrion has enemies in the court, after all.
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace, if you want to know... THIS IS A BOOK SPOILER
    Cersei instructed one of the Kings guard to see to it that Tyrion didn't survive the battle. Few too many threats towards Joffrey would have done that :)
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Mandon Moore tried to kill Tyrion, they dont bother showing because it doesnt matter that much in the book, its more important who hired him.(Cersei)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm sure that question will be unraveled in season 3, as that will likely center around the aftermath and the intrigue surrounding it.

man, i don't want to see the end of season 3...
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    vargatom wrote: »
    He lost half his nose in the books

Ah yeah but in the books the Battle for Blackwater bay takes place during the day, there's a massive chain, and Arya hangs out with Bolton instead of Tywin. Why spent several thousand per shot removing a nose when you can use a £30 prosthetic (per application) instead? I attached a picture... don't be jealous of my MSPaint skills ;) It's plenty big, and in the books it's described as being pretty damn big. Big enough to scratch away at like he's so fond of :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ah yeah but in the books the Battle for Blackwater bay takes place during the day, there's a massive chain, and Arya hangs out with Bolton instead of Tywin. Why spent several thousand per shot removing a nose when you can use a £30 prosthetic (per application) instead? I attached a picture... don't be jealous of my MSPaint skills ;) It's plenty big, and in the books it's described as being pretty damn big. Big enough to scratch away at like he's so fond of :)

aye well, in the books the battle of blackwater went roughly like this:
    • the mainstay of stannis' fleet heads into the bay, intercepted by a couple of lannister ships in the bay... call them bait.
    • the great chain is lifted, stopping the rest of stannis' fleet from entering the bay, and more importantly stopping the ships in the bay from leaving.
    • the wildfire bomb is deployed, and obliterates the ships in the bay... lannister and baratheon alike.
    • stannis fleet lands on the other side of the bay, they form battle lines and march on the mud gate. stannis remains on the hill.
    • the hilltribe people who came down to kings landing with Tyrion slaughter through the kingswood taking any baratheon forces they find.
    • joffery quits the field because he's a pussy, the mudgate looks like it's falling, and the hound runs away from the fire. tyrion gives epic speech (almost word for word in the series), rides out to meet the baratheon forces who survived the wildfire bomb and are now hitting the mud gate.
    • the fight proceeds onto the hulls of upturned ships which are being used as a bridge for the baratheon forces.
    • tyrion loses his footing, and falls. he assumes the hand being offered to him is to help him up, and notices at the last second that the sword hand is raised.
    • tyrion blacks out immediately following the wound.
    • tyrions fate is unknown as of this point. although muppet above has spoiled it...
    • the baratheon forces are assaulted by what LOOKS like RENLY's army, led by the "ghost of renly", revealed to be Tywin lannister in renlys armour (look closely in the episode, for the crowned stag helmet).
    it was described way more awesomely in the book of course, and i actually think they did an amazing job in the show bearing in mind budgetary constraints etc. i actually found myself on the edge of my seat more than i did in any of the lord of the rings battle scenes haha.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    gir, it was actually Garlan in Renly's armor, not Tywin. Loras was too small.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Was there actually a bomb in the books? I thought they just had firemancers flinging jars and it just spread. I really liked how they did it in the show, but I still wish they'd gone with the chain and had a bit of fighting on the collapsing hulls. And having it during the day couldn't have hurt either. The only advantage to having during the night IMO was the initial blast looked really cool.

And by the by... let's be conscious of spoilers. Seasons almost over, but maybe we could use this format from here on out?

T.V. SHOW SPOILER
    EXAMPLE

BOOK 3.5 SPOILER
    EXAMPLE
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Andreas wrote:
    The only advantage to having during the night IMO was the initial blast looked really cool.

Cheaper to produce. Less seen at night = less set building & CGI, less $$$ spent.

There's no point in using spoiler tags for TV show "spoilers". If you're in this thread, you've either read the books or seen the show (otherwise, you don't belong in here anyways). If you've only seen the show, book spoilers can ruin things. If you've only read the books, the TV spoilers really are irrelevant, since you already know what happened. So if people would use tags on the book bits, that's cool :)

BOOOOOOOOOM
    original.gif
  • vargatom
    There was a single boat loaded with wyldfire in the book as well.
    But the ships in the books were galleys with rowers and catapults which lead to a huge naval battle. That was clearly out of the scope of a TV show so they removed most of the naval part.

People who haven't read the books were still pretty damn impressed, by the way. Nothing even close to this was done in TV before.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty great episode. The end of the Qarth sequence makes me miss the show already! :( White walker looked awesome, don't mind waiting a year to see Sam kill it. It annoys me that they've given him manky looking teeth though... oh well. I really hope they introduce the green twins to Bran's story next season, I would consider them to be important.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    And by the by... let's be conscious of spoilers. Seasons almost over, but maybe we could use this format from here on out?

T.V. SHOW SPOILER
    EXAMPLE

BOOK 3.5 SPOILER
    EXAMPLE

Or just a book spoiler format, it seems silly that we can't talk about anything recent from the show without tags.

Don't open a thread about an ongoing show when you haven't seen the most recent episode, makes sense.
    This shit is annoying.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Yea, where are the twins?? Aren't they supposed to Teach Bran about his gift??