Home General Discussion

Game of Thrones

Replies

• David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    aesir wrote: »
    I already decided long ago that THE SHOW IS RUINING EVERYTHING!!!

Now that I've decided that it's much easier to just sit back and enjoy the recreations of scenes and locales from the books :)

haha. It's funny you say that because for me the show is fixing everything that I thought was wrong with the books.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I will say this, this show is INSANELY slow. I don't think I ever seen any show/movie that's slower than this. Must be some kind of record. It's progressing at less than the speed of smell.

They have like a bazillion stories at the same time, and you see 2 seconds of each story in a single episode. There's the wall white-zombies stuff, there's the King's Landing stuff, there's that dragon-chick drama going on, there's the little girl pretending to be a boy, there's Ned's son waging a slow-motion war. Then on top of that there's the random extra storyline, as if we needed that, of some random dude dying from a shadow-monster (I kept expecting the LOST sound to come on), or some random prostitutes doing prostitute-stuff...

Seriously, they show like 5 minutes of each one. Couldn't they just pick one damn story-line and just show that for a whole episode, full with beginning, middle and end?

Whatever it is they were going to show this season, just arrange it all in order instead of a memento-like cut. I hope that when it comes out on blu-ray there's the option of actually watching it in order. I keep forgetting what happened by the time the next episode rolls by.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    For me, as someone who hasn't read the books at all. I like the pacing at which they are dishing out the info. For me, I still haven't gotten everybody's name down yet (problems on my end with that sort of thing). So I like how each episode kind of has a check-up on each story arch. It keeps it fresh in my mind.

I can see however, for someone who knows the outcomes, how they may wish those outcomes were reached sooner.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I will say this, this show is INSANELY slow. I don't think I ever seen any show/movie that's slower than this. Must be some kind of record. It's progressing at less than the speed of smell.

They have like a bazillion stories at the same time, and you see 2 seconds of each story in a single episode. There's the wall white-zombies stuff, there's the King's Landing stuff, there's that dragon-chick drama going on, there's the little girl pretending to be a boy, there's Ned's son waging a slow-motion war. Then on top of that there's the random extra storyline, as if we needed that, of some random dude dying from a shadow-monster (I kept expecting the LOST sound to come on), or some random prostitutes doing prostitute-stuff...

Seriously, they show like 5 minutes of each one. Couldn't they just pick one damn story-line and just show that for a whole episode, full with beginning, middle and end?

Whatever it is they were going to show this season, just arrange it all in order instead of a memento-like cut. I hope that when it comes out on blu-ray there's the option of actually watching it in order. I keep forgetting what happened by the time the next episode rolls by.

It's funny that you say it seems like it's slow. Having read the books it seems like it's progressing at light speed through all of the plot lines.

They are fitting in a lot of key scenes along the way too. Theon showing up at Winterfell happened pretty much instantly, which is not how it went in the books to my recollection.

I do get a bit frustrated at how shortly they show the cool characters (Daenerys) plots yet pad out Robb Stark's to be longer and more in-depth than the books.

Things are accelerating pretty rapidly toward the end of the season imo. Lots to happen yet! In season 1 they ran a bit into the second book, I wonder if they will have time to do that again.
  • uncle

I feel you man... But I wrote it already. Last episode was the best so far though, really enjoyable.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    That wildling chick (well i guess, those wildling chicks... but mostly the one in the mountains) oh my. That's all I gotta say on the subject. Really liking the show but I'm a bit sad that I find all the major characters boring (except Tyrion and Jon) in relation to the minor ones.

Cool minor characters = Clegayne/Dog , Brom, Osha/Orsha?, The prisoner/assassin guy and Syrio. They just have more flavor/personality and "story" going for them.
  • Sculptaur
    For me, its over too quickly. I NEED MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with it going far too fast. They blaze right through key events really quickly. Read the books and you'll understand. Regardless, I really am enjoying it. A lot.

And you have absolutely NO idea what the heck is going on. That "random dude" was
    Renly Baratheon, a key character to the story. That shadow-monster was also the spawn of Stannis, Renly's brother. Lady Melissandre gave birth to the shadow to take down Renly.
    Every character has a huge role to play in the devellopment of the story. You may not see it now, but they're all intertwined. Also, that "little girl" is Ned Starks daughter, Arya.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Then on top of that there's the random extra storyline, as if we needed that, of some random dude dying from a shadow-monster (I kept expecting the LOST sound to come on)
    that "random dude" was one of the kings fighting for control of the continent lol, i don't imagine any show is very interesting if you don't know who the characters are
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I do not like it either that they focus so much on Rob. I guess they want to give more impact to the
    Red Wedding

I think they should have focused a bit more on Tyrion and Arya. King's Landing is where the second book shines. They also seem to have cut quite a lot of Arya's scenes, which I think are quite important to her development. Without them, I think that a certain scene, that will happen in the next episode will have a lot less impact
    "It's Jaqen H'ghar"

What I also don't understand is why they kill off certain characters that should have a role to play.
    In the first season, Jeoffrey sentenced Marillion rather than a random singer. He becomes quite important later on after he is accused of killing Cat's sister. The Tickler got killed by Jaqen, but in the book he later deals fatal blows to Clegayne.

Lastly, I don't really like the way they focus on Littlefinger so much. He's one of my favourite characters, but in the second book he's barely even there. I find him so interesting, because he's always talked about by the others and you can never guess what is he up to. This whole mystery is what makes his
    sudden reappearance after Jeoffrey's death so great

I guess my problem is that despite me knowing that it's an adaptation I still find myself comparing it to the novels. I guess it might be because that while some of the scenes are extremely truthful to the novels, other seem very different. I wouldn't have minded if the TV series was a very loose adaptation. As it is now, it seems a bit like they can't make their mind whether to follow the novels, or try something new.

I still really like it though. But not as much as the first season.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    It's funny that you say it seems like it's slow. Having read the books it seems like it's progressing at light speed through all of the plot lines.

Oh yeah, I don't doubt it. It's not the pacing of the story that I have a problem with. I actually feel it's moving along just fine. It's the way the thing is edited.

Each individual story is told well, and is moving along nicely. But it's then cut to these ~5minute segments, where I see each progression point every week. So for each storyline I basically get a 5 minute clip each week. Right when I get into the story it's "whoops, your 5 minutes are up, see you next week".

It makes it really hard for me to get into it. Which is also why I can't remember any of the names. Cause they show some character, and I have to spend 3 of my precious 5 minutes thinking "Who is that again? oh it's that guy I saw for 5 minutes like a month ago..."
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, I don't doubt it. It's not the pacing of the story that I have a problem with. I actually feel it's moving along just fine. It's the way the thing is edited.

Each individual story is told well, and is moving along nicely. But it's then cut to these ~5minute segments, where I see each progression point every week. So for each storyline I basically get a 5 minute clip each week. Right when I get into the story it's "whoops, your 5 minutes are up, see you next week".

It makes it really hard for me to get into it. Which is also why I can't remember any of the names. Cause they show some character, and I have to spend 3 of my precious 5 minutes thinking "Who is that again? oh it's that guy I saw for 5 minutes like a month ago..."

I have a similar feeling. I don't think the problem is the switching between characters though. I think it's something about how it's directed that just makes it seem dull and slow. Not sure how it happened though.
  • stabbington
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    Sculptaur wrote: »
    For me, its over too quickly. I NEED MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! The 5 minutes of plot per character per episode leaves me hanging for more and it's making it really difficult to not hover my mouse over the spoilers, or go on the song of fire and ice wiki or just bite the bullet and get the books.

The pacing is a little strange (sometimes infuriatingly so) but I guess they have a lot to cover. But with the source material so easy to reach it's getting really hard to not spoil the show for myself :(
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I've been feeling like, for this season and the last episode especially, that it feels slow because each episode has this sort of building momentum, that something big is just about to happen, and then it kinda almost does but mostly off-screen. And then the next episode does the same thing. So you get this big awesome/emotional lead up like
    with the shade,
    and then it just shows up for 2 seconds in the next episode. Or
    Theon taking Winterfell. You knew when he set sail in the previous episode
    that something big(ish) was going to happen but it happened in-between. So you don't get the proper sense of release that you would with a couple good action scenes, just more tension.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah for someone who has read the books, they're whipping by really fast especially with the second book being the largest. Also
    What happened to that frog chick and her brother who accompany Bran to the three eye guy? Did I miss something or maybe cant remember...hmm The walder kids seem to be missing too.
  • Brendan
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah for someone who has read the books, they're whipping by really fast especially with the second book being the largest. Also
    What happened to that frog chick and her brother who accompany Bran to the three eye guy? Did I miss something or maybe cant remember...hmm The walder kids seem to be missing too.

Big Little Walder and LittleBigPlanet Walder aren't all that useful for the story, at least not until Book 5 when they start
    eating people.

The Reed kids have had their part changed drastically - instead of Bran telling Osha about the dreams like in the TV show, he talks about the dreams (and more, many more) with Jojen and Meera Reed.

What I think is going to happen is that they'll meet up with the Reed kids in the TV show as they're leaving Winterfell, but before
    Bran and Rickon split up.
    This will probably happen before
    Theon gets "Bran and Rickon's"
    heads
    stuck on
    spikes
    on the
    walls, because they never see it.

Also I think it's good they're going through Rob and Cat's story so fast. A lot of Jeyne and Cat is just talking, implied sex, and Catelyn spending 5 chapters locked in the tower while with her father.

With a lot of that gone, the only real bit will be
    Rob's wedding to Jeyne
    because I don't think casual sex will
    annoy the Freys too much on it's own
    . Then once
    Jamie is released
    that'll be the end of S2, leaving the rest of that plot arc for S3.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    great ending to this weeks episode. seriously great.

Theon is fast becoming the character i enjoyed from the books, he's actually playing the part extremely well.

oh, and i still hold by my previous prediction about the finale of season 2. but with one change.
    the final scene will show Tyrion Lannister looking in a mirror (spoiler, don't look it up if you don't want to know).
    and it will show a character called "Reek" (spoiler, REALLY don't look it up).
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    great ending to this weeks episode. seriously great.

Theon is fast becoming the character i enjoyed from the books, he's actually playing the part extremely well.

oh, and i still hold by my previous prediction about the finale of season 2. but with one change.
    the final scene will show Tyrion Lannister looking in a mirror (spoiler, don't look it up if you don't want to know).
    and it will show a character called "Reek" (spoiler, REALLY don't look it up)

Use. Spoiler. Tags.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Use. Spoiler. Tags.

I don't see the point, really. If you're reading a thread about a TV show, I mean come on - there's GOING TO BE SPOILERS. If you don't want to know about it, don't open the dang thread. ;)

The only thing those tags do is annoy those of us who already know them.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    they aren't spoilers. i mean, seriously what exactly was spoiled there? i'm making a reference to something that's as ambiguous as it possibly could be.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I assumed it was spoilers about items in the books. I would agree, that spoilers from the book should be hidden. If it's about this week's episode, then no, I don't think they are necessary.
  • Hang10
    I'm not a fan of Theon, as a the character(the actor is doing a great job), I haven't read into it but I really hope he dies. ><
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Hang10 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Theon, as a the character(the actor is doing a great job), I haven't read into it but I really hope he dies. ><

oohhh he probably wished he dies also ;)

man the dani story line has just went off the rails from the book. most other storys seem to be fairly close, but hers just went batshit, also in the show she seems like a whiney little bitch.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    notman wrote: »
    I assumed it was spoilers about items in the books. I would agree, that spoilers from the book should be hidden. If it's about this week's episode, then no, I don't think they are necessary.

all i said was that tyrion would look into a mirror and we will meet a character called reek.

that's not spoiling anything and it's probably making people curious. and i definitely gave fair warning not to try looking either up if you don't want spoilers.

i mean, Tyrion isn't part of the snow white crew, so it's not like the mirror is magic (seriously, it's not) or anything lol.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Well shit tit motherfucker holy fucking god i just love this show! yup yup! Spoiled some shit here! big tits big ass badass chicks crossbows magic swords nerd boners etc...bye bye :)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    all i said was that tyrion would look into a mirror and we will meet a character called reek.

that's not spoiling anything and it's probably making people curious. and i definitely gave fair warning not to try looking either up if you don't want spoilers.

i mean, Tyrion isn't part of the snow white crew, so it's not like the mirror is magic (seriously, it's not) or anything lol.

Honestly, I didn't know what you were 'spoiling', because the tags were added before I came on here, and I haven't read the books, so I didn't look at the hidden text. I was speaking more to Josh's statement.
  • Sandro
    I agree that the way series/stories are divided and paced leaves you craving for next episode right after current one is over because every story ends in a cliffhanger basically.

Maybe I should skip series alltogether, grab the whole episode once it's over and watch it as a whole.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    This series started out amazing, the production quality and photography is amazing, but I think they are taking odd liberties with the story.

BOOK 2/SEASON 2 SPOILER
    Is Tyrion not going to get his chain? It was such an important and awesome part of the book. Also why not simplify the whole 'Cersei stole my whore' thing by having her actually take Shae. Why make odd choices like having Daenery's dragons be kidnapped?

Still enjoying it quite a bit though.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    For me, as someone who hasn't read the books at all. I like the pacing at which they are dishing out the info. For me, I still haven't gotten everybody's name down yet (problems on my end with that sort of thing).

Hell naw. The book has so many 'Sers' that half the time I ain't got a clue who the hell is who. :thumbup:

I'm still not completely clear on the Targaryen family tree to be honest haha.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    my god, this show gets better and better, i love the arya storyline.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how she hangs out with Tywin Lannister instead of Bolton, really fleshes out his character.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Gawd, iv always loved Jaqen H'ghar in the books. He's so damn cocky, freakin love assassins.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    I like how she hangs out with Tywin Lannister instead of Bolton, really fleshes out his character.

But then you miss out on arya realizing that nothermen can be monsters as well...
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he comes across more weird than a monster in the books... it's definitely a shame Bolton doesn't feature more in the series, hell, he ain't even particularly creepy in the show, but I think he's not that central to the story.
    I wonder how Winterfell gets destroyed in the series then... without his weird stooge wrecking the place
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The Boltons are just great characters. Although the older one is probably the more creepy fellow. But adding everyone to the show probably confuses a lot and draws things out. One more reason to read the books if you haven't done so yet.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    This series started out amazing, the production quality and photography is amazing, but I think they are taking odd liberties with the story.

BOOK 2/SEASON 2 SPOILER
    Is Tyrion not going to get his chain? It was such an important and awesome part of the book. Also why not simplify the whole 'Cersei stole my whore' thing by having her actually take Shae. Why make odd choices like having Daenery's dragons be kidnapped?

Still enjoying it quite a bit though.
    she never took shae in the book either. in the book she took a young Lyssian girl (i think?) and the script from this episode was word for word what Tyrion said in the book. it was actually one of my favorite scenes of this series. Peter Dinklage is probably the best actor in the show so far as well.

anyway, the reason this is important is that it shows Cercei is neither as powerful or as clever as she believes herself to be.

the chain thing is actually VERY important, along with other things he did in kings landing. suffice to say without Tyrions efforts things would be very different.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I know Cersei did that in the books, but you're right, it's important to show her messing things up occasionally in the series too :D I just felt it was one of those moments that people who hadn't read the books wouldn't know what was going on.
  • vargatom
    BOOK 2/SEASON 2 SPOILER

My guesses
    - The chain might be too complicated and expensive also, but even if they include it there's no need to foreshadow it as much as in the book.
    - Shae was never captured, it's an important part; also, they already simplified the book by merging multiple female characters into Ros.
    - Dany's storyline was too boring, it helps to have some more tension.
  • vargatom
    I think he comes across more weird than a monster in the books...

There was that comment about flaying people... could've added the leeching though.
    I wonder how Winterfell gets destroyed in the series then... without his weird stooge wrecking the place

Bolton talked about his bastard marching on Winterfell at least two times now.
  • zicoV
    A few things i dont get about the series is
    1. How does Cersei capturing Ros make any sense when there havnt been anything in the series about Tyrion using her as a cover for seeing Shae ?
    And 2. Isnt Arya and Jaqen suppose to help Roose bolton escape from the dungeons at harrenhal ? I wonder how they are gonna show that because its pretty important for when Jamie and Brienne gets captured by Vargo.
    I think the guy who silently approves of everything bad Theon does is suppose to be boltons bastard.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes vargaton, I'm sure your right I just forgot :D

Anyone else think the explicit content in this series is a bit much? Or am I just being a prude? Sure theres plenty of rolling around in the dirt in the books but the series takes it to another level altogether. Dialogue originally spoken by Cat on a horse in the middle of a field is given to Littlefinger to say while he is watching prostitutes finger each other in the ass. A prostitute comes out of a room with come on her chin, wipes it off and proceeds to kiss another client. I mean, I'm as perverted as the next guy but seriously? I think its a bit much when I'm just trying to sit down and watch a show.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I guess the dirty mouth was a bit much; but on the whole, compared to something like Spartacus I'd say it's pretty tame and you're just a prude.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree, I'd say if anything it's a bit on the tame side. I don't know about others, but I don't need my precious mind protected. Pretty sure after ~15 years on the internet, I have seen anything these shows can throw at me.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    I've not seen Spartacus haha. It's worse? That's crazy. It's a HBO show too?

I've seen some fucked up shit on the internet, I just don't personally want my pr0ns in my regularly scheduled viewing. If every episode of Breaking Bad was like that I'd be rolling my eyes as well. Once or twice a season would be normal, but every episode someone has to get their baps and flaps out it seems. They aren't doing it for any legit reasons, it doesn't really add anything to the show. IMO, anyway.
    The last episode with Robb rolling around with his bride to be was fine, that's part of the story. If there's a reason for it I've no problem with it
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I find the show less gory than the books, actually.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Gores another thing altogether. I think it's pretty faithful to the book in that regard. Both the book and series can be quite gory.
    It was horrible watching the singers tongue get torn out, even though it was out of focus ha.
  • vargatom
    The... love scenes are described quite a lot more literally in the books. I'd say the TV show is quite gentle in comparison.

And yeah, the gore and horror elements are held back, too. Although the really heavy stuff is only coming in book 5 - that one was a bit too much at times, really.
    The part where Theon gets to the sick guard in the tower, the one with the infested arm wound... ugh.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    finale HAS to be blackwater bay... IT HAS TO BE!! D:
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Blackwater Bay finale would be absolutely awesome.
    Hopefully we get to see Tyrion's cavalry charge, and see how he loses his nose!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Blackwater Bay finale would be absolutely awesome.
    Hopefully we get to see Tyrion's cavalry charge, and see how he loses his nose!

i want to see:
    Blackwater Bay, spliced with
    Fist of the First Men, spliced with
    Winterfell, spliced with
    Danaerys and the Undying.

and i want the final scene to be either:
    Tyrion looking in the mirror and seeing his nose, or Theon Greyjoy after being flayed a bit