Home General Discussion

What do i need to know to achieve realism for character/creatures

I have seen many good designs from people for creature/characters, sci fi things, and they looks SOOO REAL. I would really like to know, what for someone needs to know to achieve that results.

The first thing i am doing now is i am learning how to draw and the same time learn anatomy, is that good for start? But how to actually make something badly real, i am not going to say real like in features movie. but in cinematic, i hope that's is not a same?

Mostly i am inspired from Blur/Blizzard trailers, i keep watching them, and i really want to know how to make something on my own.

Replies

• Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    observe,study,practice, iterate. Start with the basics, google is your friend.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan is right on the money.

Drawing is an excellent start. Drawing is not just the process of learning to make strokes, it is also the process of learning to see.

Be persistent. There is no magic bullet.
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    yeah definitely a solid foundation of anatomy is key (and drawing doesn't hurt either), but besides that man it's just practice. Like Dan! said, start with the basics, and just keep practicing. No one starts off being able to achieve crazy realism, it takes time.
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea like everyone is saying... drawing helps anatomy is a huge part and alot of practice... one important thing to understand tho, is your first few pieces arnt going to be perfect, but don't get disheartened keep at it
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Be open to criticism throughout your project, its a perfect tool to QA each stage. Always see it as criticism of the work instead of criticism of you personally. This is especially important with characters as comparative physiology is an essential aspect.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I think mastering the fundamental would help a lot.
    this is the example
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TQ0nqjAnPY"]Stan Winston School Of Character Arts Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RN9SI8z6lA"]Monster Mask Painting | Special Effects Character Creation Tutorial | Stan Winston School - YouTube[/ame]

study not only by detail, but also on how that creature going to move.
    it will help.
    this is one of the great great great example
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHRfjbmR4J8"]Davy Jones- DELETED SCENES - YouTube[/ame]
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Yea and crawl before you try to run.

It's easy to be influenced by studios like Blur and Blizzard, but use them as a reference, not as an absolute.

Start with something low poly and work your way up to something complicated.

Expect it to take a few years of dedication and you'll come out on top.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you mean guys, i was against drawing, because i tried many times and i failed. But i have learnt in time that it's good thing to practice my eye to look better, to see detail etc. I don't want to be some awesome drawer, i am more to be 3D guy than 2D.

I want o admit that. low poly modeling is not interest of me, i dunno why, but just is not. It's look so child-ish that for me, i want to create more detail characters/creatures.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are interested in running before you walk.

blowing off drawing and low poly skills is the fastest way for you to do absolutely nothing.

I'll show you the door out.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Kuledo wrote: »
    I want o admit that. low poly modeling is not interest of me, i dunno why, but just is not. It's look so child-ish that for me, i want to create more detail characters/creatures.

Low poly has nothing to do with little details or less realism. It is just a technical guide/limitation.

And it
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Think of low poly as an initial step to understand sculpting shape, volume and proportions. Master sculptors don't start with detailing right away, they define volume, shape, planes, forms and end with surface details. So low poly is an invaluable foundation for any CG artist.

The same could be said about anatomy, if you don't start with understanding the skeleton and basic human proportions, it quickly destroys any chance of realism.

Just because you are a master at something doesn't mean you stop learning or training, it's a well known fact that Michaelangelo did a fair amount of studies for his masterpieces, even if he started training at an early age.