Home General Discussion

Computer Requirements

Greetings guys, i just create my list of what i'm going purchase to build my PC, i just want to hear from you any advice: may be i can change some parts of this list e.t.c :)

Here is a list (total $14.000):

99529017.png

I have read throw forums about Quadro vs nvidia gtx. Quadro is like overpriced, but gtx has remedies with Maya e.t.c and it's like gaming card. So i can not really pick the right video card because as i said there is a lot of debate.

Programs that i'm using now:
  1. Luxology Modo
  2. Zbrush
  3. UDK
  4. After effects
  5. 3ds max/maya (may be in future)

Thank you!

Replies

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Buy a cheaper i7 3770k, and ddr3 memories at 2400mhz, and a good mobo with 16+8. Don't waste your money when you can buy the combo i said for less than 600€ in europe.

Also, don't buy velociraptors... buy SSD if you want the best perfomance. There are OCZ vertex 4 128gb for 120 euros.

If you are going to do game art (UDK), forget about quadros and go for a 670 or a 680 gtx. Quadros are ONLY for production, and you don't need a quadro 6000, that's to throw away the money like an idiot.

A computer for 3D should never cost more than 1100€ as much.

hope this helps.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Really?! 64gigs of ram is excessive on any computer, 16 and 8 are excessive most of the time, if you want to be safe and get extra, just get 16 gigs.

If you are making stuff for video games, DON'T, DO NOT, GO QUADRO.

You probably don't need liquid cooling, you can do 4.0+ on air

You probably don't need a sound card, unless you plan on getting into really advanced recording and mixing.

You don't need a gaming network card, its pretty much snake oil.

Definitely get an ssd drive.

Get an IPS monitor.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    my rig cost me $3000, includes a SSD raid, a nice wacom, a 30" monitor and a PC powerful to play Skyrim at pretty much the highest settings....and that was 3 years ago, including all updates till today.

For the remaining 11000 USD, how about booking a nice vacation. see something of the world. expand your horizon. Much better investment than anything else on that list ;)

Seriously, nowadays hardware got so powerful, there's absolutely no need whatsoever to spend so much money, unless you're a hardware poser and need to show off, you render CGI stuff for film without a render farm or you assemble entire levels for some AAA blockbuster games all by yourself (that's what the 64GB ram are for?).

Maybe start telling us what you intend to do with this - just in case you really want to render your own CGI movie ;)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Kwramm wrote: »
    my rig cost me $3000, includes a SSD raid, a nice wacom, a 30" monitor and a PC powerful to play Skyrim at pretty much the highest settings....and that was 3 years ago, including all updates till today.

For the remaining 11000 USD, how about booking a nice vacation. see something of the world. expand your horizon. Much better investment than anything else on that list ;)

This.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Holy fucking shit. $14k for a computer is nuts. You could build a perfectly serviceable machine for a grand and then spend the rest of that money on a car or a trip to some awesome part of the planet for a few weeks.
  • Kirils
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys appreciate your comments ;)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    14k lol this is like a not so disguised brag thread, could seriously build a small render farm for that price
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Kirils wrote: »
    Here is a list (total $14.000)

Why.

Why.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Killer 2100 Pro Wired Network Card

i-give-up.gif
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i just bought a i5 ivy bridge with some random board and 8 gigs of ram (like 340)€

rest usually can be found in ones old computer(like case, dvd/blueray drive, psu and harddrives)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    This is some crazy shit, drop your computer budget down to $2000, and then another $500-1000 for monitor(s). Anything beyond that is absolutely nuts.

From the specs it looks like you're building a server, not a personal computer, what reason could you possibly have to spend so much on a system? If you spend $2k its obsolete in 4 years, if you spend $14k its obsolete in 5 years, it just doesn't make any sense.

Buying at the top of the price curve is always a terrible, terrible idea. There is no value, you're paying ridiculous amounts for a few % better performance.

Even then, I'm really shocked that this system would cost $14k to begin with. Not USD? Buying in a country where computer parts are really expensive? 3d software included in that price?

It would be good to post a price breakdown, then we can help give you advice on where to trim the fat.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Spend 2 grand, wait 2 years, spend another grand on upgrades, etc. Buying high-end equipment frequently will keep you better up-to-date than buying ultra-high-end equipment once.

And for chrissakes, you're not even getting an SSD or a BluRay? Or a good mouse and keyboard?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    eld wrote: »
    i-give-up.gif

Haha I had no idea what the meme image was from... what is that from?
  • ZacD