Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

School game project [ A fantasy bar fight! ]

Hi there!

This thread is a game project tread about a game project in my school.
We are 4 Artists and 5 programers.

What to do:

This game is going to be a top down mulitplayer game in a fantasy enviorment.
The first map we are going to do is a medieval tavern.
You are a magician and the goal is to kill all the other magicians.

In this tread i hope that all Artist will post what they are working on for the project and hopefully get some nice feedback.

Replies

• Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is some of what i have done so far.
    The first one is a beer mug and will be animated to spinaround. It will be a HP pickup
    The second is some candle lights. Like everything in the game i used zbrush and for the SSS effect i used emissive map. (it will have a particle effect later on as the light)
    The secound is a mana pickup and the last is somthing i did in maya to try to put somting together to see how it looked like.

3dstuff.png
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far looks very nice :)

Only thing I would like to ask though, as im new to zbrush is:

1) what is the SSS effect you speak of?

2) How are emissive maps made? I know of Normal, Specular, AO, Bump, Diffuse, Etc...

Cheers :P

For constructive criticism - I would retexture the mugs handles as they look kinda displaced and warped a little in the wood grain.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    These textures are looking awesome, I didn't even realize they were low res. What size are they? Keep it up :D
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somthing to sit on.
    This is some chairs and stools.
    Every small object in the game will have physics if you hit it, it will tip or get thrown away.
    This object will break apart and become small pieces. You can se the pices in the back.
    pallar.png

This is some bar parts. made 3 pieces in zbrush and used the cavity map in the deffuse to get those nice highlight. so no textuire painting whas made, only different maps in different blend modes.

barxk.png
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Like the mug and mana potion a lot!
    The foam on the beer could do with some more specular and maybe even some reflection to give it more of a wet look, at the moment it looks very dry and solid.
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi David Wakelin.

The sss effect are the effect you get then holding your hand up in the air to cover the sun or having a lamp behind your ear.
    Is is when the light goes throug somting and looks transperent.
    fig16-04.jpg

SSS = sub surface scattering

Is often have a nother map a sss map but i used a emmissive map.

A emissive map are a map that often are tottaly black. The area you give colour will "ignore" To get effected of any shadows and when you but them in a dark enviorment it looks like they glow.

My texture for the candles look like this
    ljustexturer.png

I hope that I am good at teaching. Peace
    Selaznog
    Thanks man :)
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok MeintevdS thanks i fix that. Brb :)
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ok kool,

Dont suppose you could post your mana potions texture for a better example?

Cheers
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS : Skiny foam for you!
    David Wakelin : Retextured handle for you! + Mana emmisive map
    beeeeer.png

bottleemiss.png

Cheers
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very nice so far - props for improving the handle :)

Dont suppose you have any tutorials or websites etc? anything that could help me improve my own texture skills? Im at school also...

Cheers
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man :D Tomorrow i will force my team members to post ther stuff as well :)

Ye sure!

This is a hard surface texturing tutorial. some part are a bit "oldschool" but i remember i learned a lot from it back then. and some of this techniques can be used for a lot more then hard surface.
    http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photoshop/how-to-hand-paint-convincing-metal-textures/

This is a tutorial page for showing how far you can go with just making normal maps in photoshop. and some other textures. Realy nice stuff. And you can dawnload every psd file to look closer to the projects. This dude was using "Ndo1" but the X normal Plugin in photoshop works fine to.
    http://www.philipk.net/tutorials.html

Xnormal plugin for photoshop Free Download Page.
    http://www.xnormal.net/Downloads.aspx

hope it helps.

on which school are you studying?
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im in england UK.

But its Leeds Metropolitan University.

Games Design

Studying for BSC (hons) Game Design Degree.

- I find I can texture basics, and use a vary of maps to improve its look and add some detail, but always renders terrible... made need to practice or learn more about painting textures... :(

Whats your workflow of painting a texture if you dont mind me asking?

I.e.

Once I've modelled the basic mesh and seamed the model for its UV layout.

I paint the basic colour on - then I overlay my Normals Green Channel to see any additional detail, and then overlay an AO/Specular on to add further detail..
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont realy have a strickt pipeline. But somthing i find nice to do is it work on one material at the time. For example : if i have my beer mug i work with the wood part until i think im done and then move on to the metal.
    In this project i made a pipeline for all the groop members to follow.

1: Make a basemesh with eaven topology.
    2: Import it to zbrush and make your highpolly
    3: Make a lowpoly from your highpolly
    4: Bake normal map, Ambient, Hightmap, Cavity map.
    5: Go in to photoshop and mask out where the different materials would be. Give every material a photoshop layer and fill it with a colour.
    6: make the deffuse:
    use the hightmap on overlay above your colors 20-30%
    use the cavitymap on overlay or color dodge (depends on material) and give the cavity map a level corection so its totaly black with only the highest highlights white.
    Sometimes i put in the Ambient in the Deffuse eaven if that is WRONG to do.
    7: then i use the same maps in the speck but black and white of course.

Then i have a good base to start working with. This is absolutely not that i do in every project but it was for this. so every thing would fit together and so you could make A LOT of props on the same day. + i found the style pretty cool.

In other personal project i just use a lot of reference pictures to studdy every material and then just mimic it.

you can find my texture maps in some of my personal projects on my website
    http://johannesl.com/

Hope it helps..
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, I'm gonna follow this one :thumbup:

Stylized normal maps = Awesome
  • TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed awesome stuff!! Really nice! *subscribed*
  • Ongaku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ongaku polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, awesome work, instant subscribe as I want to get myself around modeling for games, already learning a lot.

Thanks for sharing
  • SuadK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all!

this is the highpoly model (in progress)that Im working in for our light magician character! game model should be done by the end of the week.
    smallmagician.jpg
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far the character model looks nice however I do have some critiques!

1 - The boots look like there seperate parts or there socks with a shinpad attached.

2 - Idk if its supposed to be a belt or rope of some kind but that looks wierd also and should be further defined

3 - I think the creases on the trousers are perfectly symetrical?

But as I said before it looks nice. Props Guys :)
  • SuadK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ David Wakelin

Thanks a lot for the crit!! I have thought of some of the things you´re mentioning. the model is not done yet, got a lot of detailing left to do, such as adding laces, shoe-bottoms, defining the belt, nails on fingers, some metal details on the arm shields etc.:). however I will address the symmetry on the pants problem asap!
    Big thanks once again!!:)
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Np's were all here to learn guys!
  • SniperStealth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the visuals thus far! What engine is it running in?
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet visuals indeed! Makes me want to drink beer! :)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I just wanted to say that I like where this is going. I think you could achieve quite an awesome atmosphere with it as well. I'll keep an eye on this one.
  • SuadK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We got 5 program students in our group, working on our own engine for the game :)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Sweet! I like the texture a lot and the character is sexay!
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all The good response! did not assume that so many would appreciate our project. but it's really fun to se :) thanks a lot. will update as much as We can. but everyone who works with games knows it's much more than just making beautiful meches :( :P
  • SuadK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on character highpoly
    updatezs.jpg
  • SittingDucky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SittingDucky polycounter lvl 10
    omg those props are gorgeous!!
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a character that im working on. A smaler little dude :)
    wizard2wip.png
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    I think the style of this stuff is really awesome. The pickups are exectued really well and have a "personality" to them. Your portfolio has some nice stuff in it - especially considering you're in school!
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel : Thanks man :D Makes me glad to hear :)
    Here is a update on the wizard. no wizard without a staf right :D
    wizard3wip.png
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    So I'm guessing with the introduction of the little bloke the "Anywhere above the belt" rule has went out of the window. :poly121:

Loving the idea you guys have got cooking up, I really hope you'll upload after you've finished it so we can all have a go. Great work with the props and characters.

So are the artist doing the animations also?
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man :) yes We are only 4 artist but unfortunately only 2 of us are posting here at The moment. We do it all, build meches, particles, making rigs and animate. And we only had 10 weeks to do it. That include all The Game design and making new ideas. Its a LOT to do but its so much fun :)
  • SuadK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff guys!! Keep going!!!
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its friday, friday and my wizard is ready to party!
    (Textures done, now to somthing else)
    wizardwip4.png
  • TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post some wires and maps?
    I guess the screenshot on the right are the camera position in the game, and off course the angle you'll see the model from? If so, it looks cool. Maybe only comment right now is that the specular isn't really there... Not sure, but maybe you'll need to give the spec map a boost...
    Cheers guys!
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGoozah : Yes that will be the angel in the game, and the right size to.
    I what to boost the spec. We work in a own engine so a lot can happen befour this caracter is in game.
    Here are the maps and wires.
    wizardwip5.png

And a speed scuplt on a frog i hopfoly can put in the game soon :D
    frogl.png
    Cheers!

• David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,

Was originally first poster and I've kept a watch on this thread. It's coming along great, again I'm a rookie when it comes to texturing but how come your textures are named albedo, substance and roughness... Never heard of those map types lol. Only heard of diffuse, spec, AO, normal, etc
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I just wanted to ask; your diffuse for the wizard; did u simply block our the colour then overlay the normals to get the creases, and then a AO for highlights?

How was the diffuse made/base texture made is what I'm asking!

Cheers
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi david. Ye if you new at this i understand its unfamiliar. Its a diferent type of shading. Al our engines in school use it becouse our teachers think it will be the next generation of lightning techniqes. The point of it is that you only use this 4 maps + Ambient if u like,

The techniqe is cales physical based lightning and are what it says. Its lightning math from our world calcylated down to colours (of course you dont have to do any math your own) But the "PBS" shading have A lot of maps you can compliment with and make results REALY realistic (If you like)

I print screand it from my maya vewport with the shader that is needed to visualizing is in maya. You can download it here if you like http://www.kostas.se/?p=30

Albedo: Works allmost exactly like Deffuse. just cransk up the colours like 15%
    Roughness: Works like Speck and Gloss all toghether (No alpha chanel)
    Substance: Take care of the fresnel. Witch basicly means where on the area the light will bounde. For exemple a plastic material has a highlight that is sharp and face the camera, rubber often has a darker Ruffness map and a rimlight thats visible with a smother fadeoff.

Here is a thread made by the same gouy that made the koddeshader, if you whant to know more
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1441311

Games using this today is Dota 2 and COD Black ops if im not mistaking, And meny more uses this but in there own way.

Im not so good at explain things but hope you have some better understanding of it now.
    But if you new to 3D and texturing keep it to the Defuse,Normal,Speck,Gloss and if you whant to try it out later on. Go for it :)

Cheers
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I renderd out the normal from my highpoly.
    Then i copyed the normal and used the X-normal plugin in photoshop
    filter -> Xnormal -> Normal 2 cavity
    (I think i used the setings X+ Y- Z+)
    Then i took the cavitymap and made more contrast to it so only the highlited part whas white and the other parts black, Put the layer on Screen (or colour burn if you do wood)
    and then you have the highlights. Rememeber to have this layer on top of like all of your Diffuse layers :)
    The shadows whas made on a similar whay (but with some settings i dont have in my head) + a AO on like 20% poasity :)

CHeers
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha kool, u learn something new everyday!! I appreciate your sharing the techniques and knowledge with me; I've taught menslot over the last few weeks!

What I really could do with is improving my own diffuse maps; could you break down how u made yours?

I simply block in my own colours, overlay the an AO, overlay the normal's green channel to display the creases, desaturate slightly and add materials/dirt...

Don't suppose you could Tell me how u make ur diffuse?

Just noticed you have answered a minute before this post lol! I need Xnormal now!!!!

Cheers dude
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to hear i've learning someone, Whas not long time a go i spamed polycount members with
    questions and i dont regret it a bit. XD

I have a hard time to explain things with text, BUT when im back in school i can make a Tutorial with pictures and show my workflow that way. SUpose that is easyer to learn as well. I have a day of tomorrow but if you can whait untill the day after tomorrow, I will show all the "secrets" of the Wizard :)
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Superfail wrote: »
    Nice to hear i've learning someone, Whas not long time a go i spamed polycount members with
    questions and i dont regret it a bit. XD

I have a hard time to explain things with text, BUT when im back in school i can make a Tutorial with pictures and show my workflow that way. SUpose that is easyer to learn as well. I have a day of tomorrow but if you can whait untill the day after tomorrow, I will show all the "secrets" of the Wizard :)

That would be amazing, I really appreciate it.

In no in rush I know u have alot of work; and I have alot of learning!! Haha :)

Whenever your free and available just drop it in a private message! So I can save it out to read over many many times!!

Cheers Pal!!
  • Ongaku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ongaku polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking awesome I subscribed to the thread and the progress is amazing, great work and I'm learning a lot too.
  • SuadK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    second character wip =)
    fatwip.jpg
  • jonas-144
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonas-144 polycounter lvl 6
    Awsome to see so many people taking an interest in this project!
    here come da props.props01.jpgbearhead01.jpgbarrels01.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Very nice, love the texture work!!
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    say Hallo! To Mr Frog :)
    lafrog.png