Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Problem with normal maps

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
Hey!
I'm not really sure if I am right here but..I have a problem with normal mapping..
I'm learning Zbrush and Maya for fun at the moment...
So here's my problem:
I made this dagger in Maya + Zbrush:
http://shyralon.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4pwl6x
Then I used decimation master to make a lowpoly model from it, uv mapped it in maya (which is still pretty crappy) and loaded all this stuff in xnormal to bake out a normal map. When I apply this normal to my lowpoly in maya nothing seems to ahppen (I turned on high qualitiy rendering) and when I click on render you can see the detail on the faces, but it doesn't smooth the edges like in the highpoly like it should, so it looks like shit :D
HAs anyone an idea how to fix this/what is the problem? I had it with more models before, so I think it's something in my workflow...

Thanks in advance
Shyralon

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when I click on render you can see the detail on the faces, but it doesn't smooth the edges like in the highpoly like it should, so it looks like shit

Can't really help without seeing a picture of the render.

As for not being able to see it in the viewport...are you in shaded and textured mode? Press 6. If you don't have any lights in your scene...everything will probably turn black....so put a light in there...and you should see your normal map working.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I tried it out but it still looks like before..
    I made a few pictures, the first one is the lowpoly without normal maps, the second one lowpoly wires without normals and the last one is the render WITH normal map and light in the scene...
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    First off, that is a pretty high poly count for that asset. Second, you are not seeing the effects of the normal map because you need a realtime shader applied to your object. I haven't used Maya in a while, so I don't remember what shaders to use, but you can grab Marmoset toolbag, UDK, Cryengine, Xoliul (I know this works in Max) or something like that and get a realtime render. You may want to check your smoothing groups as well, your low poly looks pretty faceted.
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Nah, normal maps work alright in the viewport with a regular old blinn or phong. Also I agree with cdevens about your smoothing groups looking messed up.
  • makanops
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the biggest issue is that Decimation Master isn't supposed to create low polys. It's designed to make super hi-poly models created in Zbrush small enough to use in other programs. When it runs, Decimation Master does some horrible things to your geometry and uvs.

To get around this, you'll need to create a matching low poly around the decimated version in Maya, then project onto that. That should make your unwrapping easier as well.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm..okay, then I'll try making a new lowpoly :D
    I just followed roughly this tutorial, where he uses decimation master to make the low res..
    http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/warxsnake/tutorial-creating-weapons-for-next-gen-games/30-31815/
    Another crazy thing:
    When I use a blinn instead of a lambert it shows the normal way better..not good, but better :D
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I found the time to model a new lowpoly, normal map works mostly, just a few errors because of my bad uvs...that's the next thing I am going to work on. I'll post some screens when I'm at my pc :D