Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

12'' Stylized Female statue - 3D print and casts

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    Yeah, sure, except that would not only be illegal lest you can procure the rights, and I'm certain SOE doesn't want you using those for anything other than that contest.

If I extract a model out of a game, convert it to a format shapeways uses, than have it printed and sent to myself only (don't add it to their store) that's illegal? I find this hard to believe. A 3d print is just like printing a 2d picture. I can goto Kinkos and print 100 copies of the coke logo I downloaded online, pay them for the service, and it's not illegal right?

Also, if I'm wrong about all this, wouldn't it be illegal for shapeways to sell this?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/157013/8_bit_mario_pendant.html?gid=mg
  • SadamHu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its illegal to sell copies of anything without permission.
    That Mario pendant probably doesn't have the right to be on that site.
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    Sign me up for a copy please pior!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    If I extract a model out of a game, convert it to a format shapeways uses, than have it printed and sent to myself only (don't add it to their store) that's illegal? I find this hard to believe. A 3d print is just like printing a 2d picture. I can goto Kinkos and print 100 copies of the coke logo I downloaded online, pay them for the service, and it's not illegal right?

Also, if I'm wrong about all this, wouldn't it be illegal for shapeways to sell this?

i know my company sure as hell can't do that legally.

i also wouldn't be surprised if that piece, even though it is not directly extracted from a game but rather based on the art, received a cease and desist.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey hi! thanks for the heads up for the second batch. I will try to sort out a number of units in the coming days - i suppose something around 20 or 30. Then off to an ebay page for the remaining ones left over after the PC reservations after the , and we should be good to go!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Why is this a good deal? Just go find a free ztool of a similar model, convert and upload to shapeways, and buy it from them, hopefully for less money. SOE in fact freely released an extremely comparable model (base male and females from DC universe) back when they were doing a user submitted animation contest.

~ For the record. Even if you did that;

one: it would actually cost MORE than what Pior is offering.
    (Oh feel free to check for yourself its twelve fucking inches btw. With detachable magnetic limbs!)

two: the cold cast resin Pior is obviously using some form of cold cast resin which is such premium quality that anything even close to that size from any other 'shapeways' type site for even twice the price would have such horrendous stair stepping that you would lose tons of fine detail.
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drelectro polycounter lvl 8
    i like your project. please give us a little more info!

how did you created the prototype for the mold? you said you didnt 3d print it.. has someone modeled it for you?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure thing!

No no, its all 3D modeled by me. I am just saying that the pictures do not show the original 3D print straight out of the printer, they show a cast of it with all the post-process work added. It shows the actual quality of the final product instead of a mere prototype that couldn't really be taken for granted.

To be more in depth : the original 3D print stays at my casters factory, because it is the original and needs to be kept there for mold re-mastering.

The process is : model in 3D > print in resin > sanding and polishing > cut the limbs where necessary for production and assembly > make silicone molds of all the parts > cast polystone pieces > inspect the surface and sanding/polishing again if necessary > inclusion of magnets and metal rods > paint job.
    The pictures show the very end of the process, after the paint job.

Hope it answers your question!
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ok.. i thought so but was a bit confused when you said it wasnt 3d printed.
    you ship to germany?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18

Yes all that is Illegal, including the printing the coke logo. Seeing as I presently work at kinkos, we reject work all the time based on copyright. Does EVERY piece get caught? no. But we do keep our eyes open and have copyright notices on EVERY machine stating the basics of copyrighted material. Kinko's /FedexOffice has had several copyright suits over the years from places like Disney, for not catching people coming in and making copies of their characters or other art.

The Mario pendant is also in violation of copyright, but again, its a matter of nintendo taking notice and action, or preferably, shapeways policing their own store.

And as for the SOE base mesh and assets, if you bothered to read the agreement for that contest you'd see that even having them on your computer after the end of the contest constitutes a violation of that agreement, and their copyright. So delete the things. :) You can keep a movie or images of your work, but the original sony supplied stuff must be removed.
  • Ogota07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ogota07 polycounter lvl 18
    If there is a second batch, i'm definitely in Pior !
    Great job, looks awesome !
  • Ogota07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ogota07 polycounter lvl 18
    If there's a second batch, i'm definitely in !
    Good job, looks great !
    edit: and a little "by Pior Oberson" instead of the "1/6 stylised female", even if you keep your website url behind, would be a plus imho.
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great idea Pior !
    And freakin' awesome execution as usual.
    I definitely pick one if you do a second batch with this chick or any future model if you manage to do so.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always great to see what you bring next Pior, awesome projects!
    You sir, are a hero in my book :D
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    id be interested in second batch. not only does it make a cool reference, but its a cool statue too! nice work dude
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool~ nice stat!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    OMG.
    HOLY JUMK MUFFINS

I love you. How much are these going for?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Pior, i love it. but i feel i have to be honest with you, and hopefully this doesn't come off in a "jerk" kind of vibe.

the people who would benefit most from something like this, are the non-professionals. that's not to say professionals wouldn't want, or benefit from having one at all. far from it. but the non-pro's are the ones who would benefit most.

now, the problem with that, is this: non-pro's won't be able to affort that, and unfortunately i feel like the line "this will help me get better" is wearing a little thin with my girlfriend, after 2 years of living with her and "getting better" (which i have), no solid studio position in sight and a fairly unstable (currently) industry, means justifying purchases as expensive as this is... well... i just can't justify it.

i really want to, but it's just too much =/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man no worries! I know this is not the most affordable object, far from it. But thats also why I am only casting a few - it's a bit of an investment to produce, so I keep things safe on my side by not ordering too many. I suppose the cost could be reduced by making many more copies ... but I dont have enough of a gambling spirit to take that risk :D

Thanks for the feedback!

[bit of a status update : I think batch #2 is going to a batch of 20 or 25 units, probably going for 140$ each - I still have to verify everything on that regard. Batch #1 is being shipped this week and hopefully it will be here soon!]

P
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutely awesome, pior! Once again I am deeply impressed by a creation of yours.

I'd be interested in a piece of the second batch.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I would love to spend my Christmas money on this pior if there are any from the second batch left.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I, as well, would love to get in on the second batch! impressive work!:thumbup:
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Super awesome Pior, I might have to wait for a 3rd batch, but definitely want in!
  • Maligma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Pior,

I came across the post advertising the limited editions of your sculpt here. (a) Omg... wow. I absolutely love her! Beautiful work. (b) May I be included in the third batch for one - maybe (hopefully) a couple if I'm convincing enough to a few folks, lol. Also, are you considering a male version at all? Thanks in advance.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Woah, I can't believe I missed this. Amazing stuff man, if I had the money I'd jump right in on this. I'll have to see how things pan out for me jobwise, then I'll be sure to send a message your way.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey Pior, any update on the second batch mister?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    howd I miss this?? stunning work! well done :]
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Just thought I would nudge this to see if theres still a chance of picking one of these up?
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    yea i still want one
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again all!

It's been a bit more than year since the first batch was distributed, and to date this is still one of the most satisfying art experience I had ! It really is an awesome feeling hearing that people are enjoying the statue, seeing pictures of her on fellow artists desks, and even using it myself :)

I am reviving this thread because I am starting the process of getting a second batch out. I am adding a few improvements for this V2 : the base is now round for easier manipulation (that way the corners won't bump into another toy on a desk), and there will be a simple paint job to accentuate the two "halves". This is the 3D mockup of V2 :

pior_1-6th_female_v2_paintjob.png

I will update this thread as soon as I get images of the early painted prototype. However I am still in the process of estimating how many units to produce this time around ; I have a rough number in mind but this is still a fluctuating.

My plan is to have a given number available through a Facebook announcement, have a given number available here for Polycount, and maybe keeping some more units on the side as a buffer. I am thinking of having 10 units reserved for Polycount. What do you guys think ? Are some of you still interested ?

Note that I am not writing down a first-come first-serve list of takers yet ; I'd rather do that once I know that the units are coming out of the factory. Also - I am not setting up a Kickstarter because it really only is a small personal project that I am doing on the side, for friends and fellow CG artists :)

With the retake on the base and the added paintjob I will play it safe and keep it priced at 150$. It *might* go lower but since I cannot guarantee it yet I'll just stick to that for now, and will of course have a definite price to announce once I have all the units produce and ready to go :)

All that being said - feel free to let me know if some of you are interested in getting one, it'll help me estimating things. Again : only once I have the actual units ready will I make the announcement to call for the "first-come, first-serve" takers.

( And like before, I would like to avoid money talk in this thread as much as possible, since this really isn't a commercial project at this stage - it really is just a "garage" kind of thing ! :D )

Thanks !
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I would very much like to still be on the list for one of these please Pior!

let me know how much you want and where to whenever its ready mister :D
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
  • panic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    panic polycounter lvl 12
    Yea, i want one.
    I think your going to need more then 10 for polycount
  • BrianP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    woot! defiantly want one of these!
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man Pior, I would buy one of these so fast, Your work is such an inspiration!
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    I would love to get one of these if you have enough. Look forward to more info :)
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    I'd be interested in one of these for sure
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I'm down for sure man!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys! So far I'm gravitating towards 12 for here - but of course the number can still change. Yay!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm down like a clown with a frown.

But mostly I'd like one :)
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it be cool if people can do like a down payment so you would know exactly how many to print!?
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Can i be put down for one as well! would be awesome :x
  • weisheng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weisheng polycounter lvl 9
    thinking of a polite way to say, GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE ! O_O pweeeeze
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I'd still be interested, but $$ may be a problem now without steady check. Obviously wouldn't voice for one unless I have the cash at the time of orders, but definitely still interested.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there again :)

Okay, here is what I am thinking. I will get 13 made for the ones who showed interest here on Polycount so far, and as soon as I get the final details and prices estimate I will ask for these peoples' confirmation here in this thread, and exchange PMs for further details.

Therefore the temporary list of takers is :

Seth, HandSandwich, Panic, BrianP, ErikDigital, Striker, Nrek, DrElectro, Venain, Hazardous, Skudz, Shiv, Weisheng.

I will have a few more units available too - so around the time when I will be asking confirmation from the 13 people in the temp list, I will also have a first-come, first-based offering for other people to grab.

Alright - Ill make sure to give you guys updates about once a week as the production progresses!

Yay!
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still around the $150 price range of the first batch?
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    I would absolutely be interested in one of these, if any free up please drop me a PM. Awesome project btw Pior, any plans for a male version?