Home General Discussion

Game of Thrones

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Brendan wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll see as little of Theon as possible. Also it appears they're replacing Catelyn's parts talking about Robb with Robb's perspective, which would explain Jenye.

not sure if i like that... one of the reasons for the second and third books being so emotional (you know... THAT event) is because of Cat's perspective. without that i don't think the event would have been near as harrowing as it was.

i wouldn't mind having Robb's perspective in addition, but i don't see it as a suitable replacement. at the end of the day, he had a one night stand and did the honourable thing to resolve it, not really much to add.
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    without that i don't think the event would have been near as harrowing as it was.

I'm not sure I agree. I think the trouble is that these emotions were mainly internal and never really spoken about. Some things you have to change for a movie adaptation without getting really weird and doing a voice over.
  • slipsius
    Ok, I'm going to jump in here for a quick sec. Gir, this is in no way an attack against you, or a carry over from the walking dead thread. And so far, this hasnt been needed because you guys aren't talking details, but I thought I should throw it in for the sake of the threads future.

Please use SPOILER TAGS when talking about the BOOKS. The books are very close to the show, so saying something from the book can ruin whole episodes before they even air.

Spoiler tags are used by putting [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] around text (minus the spaces in it).

Thanks.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm being deliberately careful about my wording in these posts, so as not to spoil things.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    slipsius wrote: »
    Please use SPOILER TAGS when talking about the BOOKS. The books are very close to the show, so saying something from the book can ruin whole episodes before they even air.

The hot blonde gets her tits out. A lot. :thumbup:
  • Talbot
    Season 2 has arrived!
  • Dylan Brady
  • Brendan
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    not sure if i like that... one of the reasons for the second and third books being so emotional
    (you know... THAT event) is because of Cat's perspective. without that i don't think the event would have been near as harrowing as it was.

i wouldn't mind having Robb's perspective in addition, but i don't see it as a suitable replacement. at the end of the day, he had a one night stand and did the honourable thing to resolve it, not really much to add.

There's only half a scene that really needs that, and I think if Cat knows, they're bringing that bit well into season 2. In fact, the only significant part is the whole
    "well mother, as we're talking about things that we really shouldn't have done..."
    line when he gets back. And as long as they do the reveal well, then it's fine.

Also I checked the wiki, and 'Blackwater' is episode 9 out of 10. I can't think of anything to fill the last episode though. The epilogue is pretty short, no way that's going to be an episode.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    chances are the finale will just be the...

MASSIVE SPOILER FOLLOWING
    consolidation of power by the Lannisters, it will likely show all of the things only implied in the book, like Tywin taking power and doing certain things to reverse Tyrions decisions etc. the episode will probably end with Tyrions new face being revealed
  • Brendan
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    I can see that happening in the space of 10 minutes at absolute most. There's a few words and
    knighting the sellsword

There's a good chance, with the TV rushing through certain characters, that Ep10 will have
    Rob and Cat and all the gang heading off for a wedding, like the end of S1 with the Nightswatch going out for the ranging. Maybe it'll have Davos being found without his fingers and he'll be all "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I wonder if we will see that scene with
    Theon trying to seduce a woman who turns out being his sister, Asha and who completely humiliates him afterwards.
    That whole chapter was hilarious. On a side note, I hear that
    Reeds won't appear in this season. Which seems like a strange decision. They are essantial to Bran's story
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    The 'Greenlit by HBO bit can probably be removed at this stage...
  • slipsius
    Good opener! big fucking YESSSSS moment when the dire wolf walks up to jamie lannister.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just saw it, we're a day behind over here.

have to say i'm a little disappointed. i mean, it was a decent episode, but there was a lot that was unexplained. who davos is, why he's so important, the old maesters "sacrifice" etc. the burning of the statues doesn't happen until much later in the book...

i dunno, i guess there were a few parts of this episode that felt pretty disjointed.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    just saw it, we're a day behind over here.

have to say i'm a little disappointed. i mean, it was a decent episode, but there was a lot that was unexplained. who davos is, why he's so important, the old maesters "sacrifice" etc. the burning of the statues doesn't happen until much later in the book...

i dunno, i guess there were a few parts of this episode that felt pretty disjointed.

I agree, and nothing really happened. It was just full of introductions and re-introductions. Not to mention a superfluous titty scene that seems to have been added to meet HBO's boob quota.

Still, it might have been necessary (the re-intros). I think a lot of people who only watch the show have trouble following who is who.
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    good episode, but I agree. I feel like if I hadn't read the book, I would have been really confused.
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    I liked a lot. I agree that there is a lot of characters introduced and they don't tell you who they are or why are they there but I feel like Season 1 was like that. Lots of characters introduced and as the series goes along they feed you all the details.

That would be the only disadvantage so far for the show vs the books. The lack of extra background info.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I've read the books and I still wasn't sure what was going on at all times. Maybe that was just because I was trying to recall exactly what the scene was and predict what would happen.

Later on I was trying to think of it as if I didn't read the books and damn. No explanations of anything regarding Melisandre and all (I don't think they even mentioned her name). That was something I definitely got out of reading the books, it gave a ton more context to the first season and realizing who characters were and what significance they had despite having short roles in the show. I completely spaced on everything to do with Renly when watching the first season. When I read the books I thought he was a character they cut from the show.

It's nice to watch it again to refresh my memories of the books. They do such an awesome job of adapting them. I've been disappointed by a lot of adaptions in the past (Dune) but it seems like they really nail everything with this series. love it.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    FYI The second episode of season 2 was leaked online yesterday if you want to watch it early.

I couldn't resist, and it was indeed good.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    yeah i heard, resisted because then i would have to wait two weeks for the next one, hopefully you don't get game of thrones withdrawl!
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    same thing, will wait for the weekend. One week between episodes it's the max for me.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    have to say, after watching episodes 2 + 3, i'm not sure i'm entirely happy with the amount of shortcuts and liberties being taken.

and why the fuck did they rename Asha?
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    have to say, after watching episodes 2 + 3, i'm not sure i'm entirely happy with the amount of shortcuts and liberties being taken.

and why the fuck did they rename Asha?

They thought that her name would be confused with Osha (the wildling with bran). Since a certain pair of other characters for Bran to hang around with haven't made their appearance yet (the reeds), I begin to wonder if Osha will replace the both of them in the show as his guide.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    they can't do that though, can they?
    doesn't Osha take Rickon to keep him safe?
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    they can't do that though, can they?
    doesn't Osha take Rickon to keep him safe?

They can just give him to some other trusted bannermen.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    There's a lot of ways to rewrite this show into more a more manageable tangle. It's season two and regular watchers can't even remember all the POV character's names.

I have a hard time watching the show too, but I just try and enjoy that they're making scenes from the book into reality and succeeding almost half the time.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Not reading anything that is posted here, in case it gets spoilt, so just going to post once and say the show is great! Huzzah!
  • uncle
    5th episode just finished.

Bear in mind I didn't read any of books - but the action flows SO SLOWLY. Not to say I don't enjoy it overall. Still I have to say first season had so much greater impact on me... At least judging it by what I've seen so far.

Also
    that assasination of Renly... It seemed SO forced. So far supernatural forces had close to none impact on the plot (even the white walkers). What I love about it is that it was about the men and their dealings mostly. The shadow subplot felt so out of place it made me literally sad. Is this the same as it were in the books?
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    uncle -- yes, but it was handled a bit more with a lead up in the books-- this shouldn't spoil things for anyone who's watched up to what Uncle is talking about:
    The books had two different similar deaths instead of one that they 'merged' into one. In general the season2 stuff spends a lot more time on renly and the tyrells than the books did, and while I can understand the reasons, I think it was to the detriment of other aspects of the books.
  • uncle
    Thanks for clarifying. I already bought first tome, just need some spare time to consume it. :)
  • vargatom
    uncle wrote: »
    Also
    that assasination of Renly... It seemed SO forced. So far supernatural forces had close to none impact on the plot (even the white walkers). What I love about it is that it was about the men and their dealings mostly.

It's going to fade back into the background for quite a while. This was meant to be mostly a shock moment and a reminder that magic was returning into the world after several centuries.

It's also worth to remember that the return of the White Walkers and the rebirth of the dragons was so close in time. 'Game of thrones' was the title of the first book only, the entire series is called 'A song of ice and fire' - I'm sure the connections to the above mentioned are obvious enough.
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    renly's
    death
    as I read it was not meant to be dwelled on. Stannis is more important to the story overall.

Magic comes and goes out of the stories so far as I've read... I think it's meant to keep you on your toes instead of become commonplace.

The books also have a tendency to be slow at first, then get so complex it's manifestations by the end that it seems fast paced, when in reality a lot of plot lines are just getting more exciting as they come to their crescendo.
    The characters are what keep you hooked... not the action imo.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    The fact that everyone has the same beard is really messing with me. For example whenever renly doesnt wear his crown or is without his guards, I have no idea whos who.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    stannis is the more important character, but that's not to say we shouldn't dwell on renly. ultimately he is the primary motivator for brienne, who is a major character with a major impact on the story.

to clear things up for Uncle, though. spoiler alert:
    at storms end, there's a young boy called Edric Storm, another of Roberts bastards. Stannis wants him firstly so that he can prove the illigitimacy of Cercei's children, but secondly because Melisandre says "there's magic in royal blood". another shadow is used to kill the lord of storms end who was trying to protect Edric.

it's indicated that when the dragons were born, magic returned to the world with varying strengths.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    it's indicated that when the dragons were born, magic returned to the world with varying strengths.
    Didn't magic return with the White Walkers in the very first episode?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    no, remember in Qarth when she sees the firedancers, who climbed a ladder of fire into the sky, something they could never do until a few days ago (when the dragons were born).

the white walkers i'm sure are related in some way to the ressurgence of dragons, but i'm almost certain that the dragons are responsible for the magic now entering the world.

i feel we need a proper discussion thread where i don't have to spoiler tag every fucking thing...
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I think winter was just coming.
  • Broken_Lawnmower
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @ScudzAlmighty_gir

I am pretty sure the magic never left and has always been there. Amplified though is for sure.

Book 5 scope spoilers:
    Wargs have been around the entire time before dragons (the dude who used his bird to claw john's face and bran). Also all of the greenseer stuff and the children of the forest, the temple of the many faced god, the sorcerers in qarth having been around for a while and not just assembling overnight. Melisandre having been able to read the flames and predict stannis' future before the dragons came back. Etc, etc. There are several examples of magic and such before the resurgence of the dragons.
  • vargatom
    Yeah, it's all related and intertwined, sort of a chicken and egg situation.

And let's not forget about the elephant in the room, how can the length of the seasons change drastically, for no apparent astronomical reason? Not to mention that Martin has been careful to avoid giving even any hints about this so far...
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    vargatom wrote: »
    Yeah, it's all related and intertwined, sort of a chicken and egg situation.

And let's not forget about the elephant in the room, how can the length of the seasons change drastically, for no apparent astronomical reason? Not to mention that Martin has been careful to avoid giving even any hints about this so far...

exactly... and just wtf did happen to Valyria?
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    moof wrote:

volcanoes dude
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    moof wrote: »

The doom is described as being a natural disaster featuring almost all of the known weather phenomena...

Valyria was surrounded by volcanos, which all erupted at once, as well as being flooded by a tsunami, you can only imagine the wind pressure being pretty insane as well.

that's what i got out of the books so far anyway.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The doom is described as being a natural disaster featuring almost all of the known weather phenomena...

Valyria was surrounded by volcanos, which all erupted at once, as well as being flooded by a tsunami, you can only imagine the wind pressure being pretty insane as well.

that's what i got out of the books so far anyway.

You can also infer that the valyrians caused it somehow, accidentally.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    aesir wrote: »
    You can also infer that the valyrians caused it somehow, accidentally.

yeah i guess, i think the implication is that they became too powerful and either a residual build up of magical energy inadvertantly caused "the doom", or that an accidental backlash from a spell caused "the doom". either way i'd love a definitive answer to: WTF HAPPENED?!
  • vargatom
    Since Dany's on Essos browsing around with her dragons, I sort of expected her to pay a visit to the ruins already... Guess Martin holds it back for a reason.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i just finished Dance with Dragons... i don't think browsing is the right word heh!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for those who haven't read the books, i've just realised they missed out something of monumental importance:
    while camped at the fist of the first men, Jon Snow is guided by Ghost (his wolf) to a cache of "dragonglass" weapons... knives and arrows mostly. Dragonglass is what we would call Obsidian.

why this is important:
    Dragonglass is the only known metal which is capable of even harming a White Walker.

the only reason i posted this now is because i thought they'd missed it out but could come back to it, but it happened way before Jon met Ygrette in the book, even before he left with Halfhand.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    for those who haven't read the books, i've just realised they missed out something of monumental importance:
    while camped at the fist of the first men, Jon Snow is guided by Ghost (his wolf) to a cache of "dragonglass" weapons... knives and arrows mostly. Dragonglass is what we would call Obsidian.

why this is important:
    Dragonglass is the only known metal which is capable of even harming a White Walker.

the only reason i posted this now is because i thought they'd missed it out but could come back to it, but it happened way before Jon met Ygrette in the book, even before he left with Halfhand.

I wouldn't worry too much, the show has a slightly different order of events than the books.
    Look at season 1, it took forever before we saw the 3-eyed crow.

It will come in due time.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I already decided long ago that THE SHOW IS RUINING EVERYTHING!!!

Now that I've decided that it's much easier to just sit back and enjoy the recreations of scenes and locales from the books :)