polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    What worries me is that they'll drop world interaction in favor of being a world of warcraft clone.

An elderscrolls online could be the rebirth of ultima online, items finally dropping on the ground, fully interactive world, skill system, and sandboxy like eve!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha-ha, you hate everything ;)

sounds ok, I've only ever played the opening of Morrowind where I died right after setting up my character and hadn't saved so gave it back to the friend I borrowed it from. Played about a dozen hours of Oblivion before I got bored but my first impression is that the play style of all the Elder Scrolls games would suit an mmo pretty well.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Stop making MMO's.... They are all the same, no matter how much they "innovate".
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats on the announcement you chucklenuts at Zenimax.

Though, 3 Faction PvP..... really? :\
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    What worries me is that they'll drop world interaction in favor of being a world of warcraft clone.

An elderscrolls online could be the rebirth of ultima online, items finally dropping on the ground, fully interactive world, skill system, and sandboxy like eve!
    What worries me is that if it's successful it will bring into doubt why they should even bother making any more single player RPGs.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skyrim's success pretty much answered that question didn't it?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    You know, I don't much like MMORPGs. But if they can do it well, why not?
    I probably won't play it though. Not my territory. Unless of course it looks amazing.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Seems like it would be better to do multiplayer ala Dark Souls.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Bibendum wrote: »
    What worries me is that if it's successful it will bring into doubt why they should even bother making any more single player RPGs.

I believe it's another studio behind this, bethesda is still working on their single-player games.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    If it takes the same concept as Borderlands in that you can quest with friends and stuff then I'm game for it. If it's more like a third person MMO with limited visuals, I may say meh but can't say anymore until we actually see footage.

After all the fans wanted a modern online Elder Scrolls.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I've been here working on this for a long, long time. I haven't posted here in for-ev-er(had a baby, been working on this here game), but I'm excited to finally be able to say what I'm working on. Yay! There are a couple more of us around somewhere...
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    I believe it's another studio behind this, bethesda is still working on their single-player games.
    Huh interesting.

Any idea what studio?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hope we can play as Pandas :O
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Huh interesting.

Any idea what studio?

From the dude who just posted: presumably ZeniMax Online Studios.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Huh interesting.

Any idea what studio?

Zenimax online studios, I think. This is just a guess. On their job listings they mentioned they were working on an MMO, it would make sense.

I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan. I'm not a very big MMO fan. Regardless, this is exciting news, and it's good that they will keep it as a separate title and not try to add multiplayer elements to one of the main numbered titles of the series.

I'm mostly just excited to see more of the world, get more lore to read up, etc. Although if the gameplay keeps me hooked regardless of my distaste for most MMOs, that would be awesome too. I'm optimistic!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    This is one of those titles that have been on people's pie in the sky wishlist for years and still there's people bitching. Fuck you internet.

I'm excited to see what they've come up with. Never played an MMO though. Hope this is subscription free like GW (fat chance?)

That logo is snazzy, very clever me likey.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Em! On the kiddo AND the game being announced!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Andreas wrote: »
    Hope this is subscription free like GW (fat chance?)

Doubtful I think given how much of a following the game plus the fallout series has, although we can always hope :)
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Yes, we all work at ZeniMax Online Studios, we are the ones making this game. Thanks, TGZ! :D
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I hope there is first person combat. Please no auto attack like traditional MMOs.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Andreas wrote: »
    This is one of those titles that have been on people's pie in the sky wishlist for years and still there's people bitching. Fuck you internet.

I LOL'd... however, I think the issue is most TES fans want a multi-person coop mode for a traditional Elder Scrolls game, and they're worried they're going to get World of Scrollscraft.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    same, Erich. I really, really hope it's first person. I'm already excited about public dungeons and 3 faction open world pvp. I hope there are item drops from players, like old school eq.

but who am I kidding..
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Finally can say what my first pro-gig project is...sheesh :P

Congrats to the ladies and gentlemen still over at Zenimax online keep plugging away and make something great!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    This is pretty interesting news. Can't wait to see more details on this game.

I'm interested on seeing how they can blend the elderscrolls world and story telling with an MMO structure. Like if they utilise fazing or some new fangled tech to have story and world co-exist.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I hope there is first person combat. Please no auto attack like traditional MMOs.

agree 1000000%. Ive also been one of those people who always thought elder scrolls online would be an amazing game. All the best guys I hope you nail it and make something amazing!!!! I cant wait to play!!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    The only multiplayer that should ever be added to TES is coop single player were you and your friend can work on your own compaigns either together (so world changes happen at the same time) or separately.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I'm not interested. Skyrim was a great game, but admittedly I have to mod it a lot more than I was hoping I would in order to thoroughly enjoy it.

The whole reason I've been interested in the Elder Scrolls games up to this point was because they allowed me to pretty much not have to deal with anyone else, while at the same time gave me a completely separate world to interact with very extensively. Seeing more than 2 or 3 people standing in front of a merchant would honestly remove it from what the "Elder Scrolls" universe has always been to me.

Though perhaps most importantly...I just don't have the time for MMOs. :)
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    As much as I ADORE The Elder Scrolls and MMO's, I'm pretty darn skeptical about this.
    TES has always been a single player experience for me. Being alone in the world is what I cherished about it.

We'll see how it goes. I'm eager to see what it'll be like.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's funny how everyone in the north east knew about this game since the founding of Zenimax Online! At least we can talk about it now ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd be much more behind this if they actually had some multiplayer games under their belt, but this is kind of a jump into the dark for them, no idea what to expect or if it will be epic or bad.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'd be much more behind this if they actually had some multiplayer games under their belt, but this is kind of a jump into the dark for them, no idea what to expect or if it will be epic or bad.

The studio was formed by one of the creators of DAoC and full of a bunch off MMO vets
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    As long as it a FP game which is a B2P and with some mild Cash Shop items, things should be cool. I don't want to spend 15 bucks each month on my favorite series and not enjoy it on my timetable.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still in my belief that it'll be a standard mmo formula game set in tamriel.

I will not rest until I see cheese rolling down hills.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Looks and sounds interesting, we want moooaarr!!1
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want Morrowind Multiplayer...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The graphics and visual style look very nice, but I have to say, everything talking about so far has sadly turned me off... Big time... Third person, tapping Space because combat isn't real time...? Making it, on purpose, a WOW clone...?

Hmm... I'll pass this time, maybe...

The whole reason why I was looking forward was it had the chance to be Skyrim... But with shit loads of players. The whole reason I don't play WoW, is its boring as tits... So yeah...

The style looks lovely though and theres some fantastic art there.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    2nd to last pic, what the hell is that :O
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I'm sorry, but for me it looks like a bad free to play chinese mmo! :thumbdown:
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Not bowled over by the visuals. Doesn't look like Elder Scrolls to me, quite a saturated palette. Also FPS might have been a better idea. Ho hum.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Not liking this either, I'm afraid. The style doesn't look anything like TES and the mechanics sound exactly like WoW.

I think many people will be quite disappointed. I feel that everyone wanted an Elder Scrolls game with online functionality. Removing everything that makes the series unique doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

I can see where they were coming from, MMO's are expensive and risky, so opting to use a tested gameplay formula sounds reasonable. But in this case, I feel that playing it safe might hurt the sales.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I feel the same way. The MMO market is just too difficult to break through. Even the great SWTOR is getting smaller and from those pics I get nothing but "meh" feelings. Perhaps someday we'll have a Borderlands style Elder Scrolls where friends can hop in and out.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Im not so sure of this either sadly. I'm all for elder scrolls multiplayer but i'd rather it was four player or something like that.

The MMO market is more or less dominated by Blizzard. Not only because of wow. As soon as the next gen one comes out most MMO players will jump ship on their current game to try that one instead (and knowing blizzard they'll probably play it for a few years too).
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I feel they need to do something VERY different to make the game stand out. All MMO's seem to be the same. Starwars was suppose to be a game changer, but from what ive seen, it really isnt anything different. I agree that it should be first person and no auto attacks. Kinda like hellgate: london. But you know... better. Yes, those screenshots are third person, but they are also not directly behind the players, so clearly they are just posed screenshots, and not entirely gameplay from the players perspective. I guess I'll hold off judgement for a while. I AM a huge fan of mmos ,but Ive been so turned off from them because all new ones are always the exact same.

What worries me is that MMOs on release are known for being buggy. Bethesda is known for releasing extremely buggy games. Add those two together... I dunno. Maybe they`ll step it up and redeem themselves though.

btw, I heard the new blizzard mmo is suppose to be first person sci fi. How much truth is in that, who knows. But if so, it would be interesting to see. I dont think it would take away TOO many players from other mmos, as a lot of mmo players like the 3rd person.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @slipsius Blizzard is making Hellgate London? Awesome :) The proved they could do first person sci fi with the starcraft 2 cinematic, that aspect of the game looked insanely awesome. Isn't it suppose to be a new IP? I wonder how they are going to separate it from Starcraft, Diablo, and warcraft.

Torch wrote: »
    2nd to last pic, what the hell is that :O

PUSSY MONSTER STRIKES AGAIN!

I really want to make a blog with all the pussy monsters in games.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »

PUSSY MONSTER STRIKES AGAIN!

I really want to make a blog with all the pussy monsters in games.

Freud would be proud. :poly142:
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't recall WoW having 3 Faction PVP - I do recall another MMO that everybody has fond memories of and wishes was updated having 3 faction pvp...
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Woot, Finally announced!

Congrats on the positive reception to my ZO brethren! <3
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Positive..?

I haven't read anything positive...? In fact, I have yet to see a single site where anybody is really saying its what they wanted? The general thing I'm seeing is that its one of the biggest "meh" reveals with the biggest backlash in, well, ever...?

I actually don't want it to be, I would love me some elder scrolls MMORPG loving :( And I'm not that offended by the art style like most people are, even... But as somebody who just wanted a multiplayer open world Skyrim style game, it has let me down, sadly :(
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I don't recall WoW having 3 Faction PVP - I do recall another MMO that everybody has fond memories of and wishes was updated having 3 faction pvp...

That is true, but completely unrelated to what essentially makes elderscrolls, one of the rpg series that stands out completely on its own compared to every other series.

I would've thought developers had learned that striving for a new and fresh way to play an mmo is the key to success, and the people who are fans of elderscrolls know nothing about the world itself, but cling to the actual gameplay of the game.

They don't want tamriel, they want game where they play in first person, organize their home shelves by the tiniest detail, while exploring and interacting with a world that is a degree more dynamic and living than what you'd find in the default mmo.

So much potential, but so much risk it'll same formula that we've seen in everquest, daoc, world of warcraft, the old republic, etc..