Home Technical Talk

Are my edge to hard for normal mapping?

I all,

Im currently modeling a M1A socom 16, but before i go any further i would like to know if my edge are too hard for a good normal map done with a projection cage? and by the way that's the front part of the barrel... the muzzle flash reducer.

Thx

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    It's impossible to say without context, what's the weapon for, how close will it be seen, how much texture space will it have, etc.
    If you're really unsure, you should make a quick lowpoly, bake out a normal map and see how it looks for what you plan to do with it.
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im making this weapon for the cry engine 3. It will be a first person weapon, so it will be really close to the player. For the texture space i will probably go with a 2048*2048 or with the cry engine 3 spec...
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    DarkStar wrote: »
    Im making this weapon for the cry engine 3. It will be a first person weapon, so it will be really close to the player. For the texture space i will probably go with a 2048*2048 or with the cry engine 3 spec...

Wow, 2048^2 for a gun prop? That's a bit excessive IMO! But do what you want (Maybe you want super-duper realistic for portfolio or something).

As Bal said, context is very important. Different situations call for different solutions. However, if this is indeed an FP gun model, you're not going to see the front of this thing to begin with, so I wouldn't put too much priority on it. But if you just want to do thIngs correctly I can understand that..

It doesn't look like you have any truly hard edges there. Everything looks chamfered or beveled. Try baking a normal map and see what happens!
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes its more a portfolio piece then anything else and doing it "life like" is one of my main goal. Thank for your reply tristamus. :)
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    if youre making a game asset for your portfolio its important that you display the amount of detail you can achieve within usual performance budget limitations.

sure ce3 can handle a 2048x2048 texture, and im sure your model will look better with one, but it wont help much in your portfolio because it doesnt show your skills as an actual game artist who needs to take performance limitations in to account when making props.

quite honestly there is no such thing as a "too sharp" edge. The important thing is that your edges are as sharp or blunt as they are on the actual real world counterpart! whether or not they are sharp or blunt enough to bake in to your normal map is irrelevant, because if you differ from your refs, essentially you will be making a soft edge where there shouldnt be one.

thats just my 2 cents btw..
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Olli. wrote: »
    if youre making a game asset for your portfolio its important that you display the amount of detail you can achieve within usual performance budget limitations.

sure ce3 can handle a 2048x2048 texture, and im sure your model will look better with one, but it wont help much in your portfolio because it doesnt show your skills as an actual game artist who needs to take performance limitations in to account when making props.

quite honestly there is no such thing as a "too sharp" edge. The important thing is that your edges are as sharp or blunt as they are on the actual real world counterpart! whether or not they are sharp or blunt enough to bake in to your normal map is irrelevant, because if you differ from your refs, essentially you will be making a soft edge where there shouldnt be one.

thats just my 2 cents btw..

putting an FPS gun on a 2048 is very common these days. in FPS games the gun is right in your face 95% of the time, so a map that large is warranted. it may get scaled down to 1024 for consoles, but in all my time working for clients i've always been asked to texture fps weapons at 2048.

tbh you're totally off-base about making edges 100% accurate to the real thing. the actual important thing is to make sure your edges come through on the bake, and to make sure your materials read properly from just edge widths alone (example: metal should ideally get hard but fat edges, plastic should get softer, wider edges). having a good bake is a primary step to a good texture, so, real or not, when your edges barely exist on the normal map it makes texturing a lot more difficult. it's worth it to break realism for the sake of a good bake.

i wrote a post about edge widths a while ago, might be worth checking out: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1517040&postcount=28
    and the ever popular example chart: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1725586/crits/edgewidthmodel.jpg

anyway, i think you should probably model the rest of the gun before anyone can judge edge widths. finish the model, do some test bakes, zoom all around and it should be pretty obvious when edges are too thin or not.