Home General Discussion

Autodesk increase Student Pricing Model for 2013 - by £4000

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
I've just got off the phone with my local Autodesk reseller who's informed me of the new pricing for Student>Commercial upgrades on Autodesk products for 2013.

We were both in agreement that it's quite ridiculous, and he'd had a lot of complaints that he'd forwarded to Autodesk. I'm keen to hear some thoughts on this because it seems crazy.

In previous years (2012 and prior) a student could purchase the 'Entertainment Creation Suite' education version for around £250 here in the UK, and following graduation, could upgrade either Max or Maya to a full commercial license for around £600. I always thought this was a fantastic opportunity for both students to get themselves a legit copy of a primary 3D app, and also for Autodesk to secure some brand loyalty early on with graduates.

However, for reasons only know to Autodesk, you can no longer upgrade to individual packages, and must upgrade to the corresponding Suite.

So, you buy the Entertainment Creation Suite for £250, and then upgrade to the commercial version of the same suite... for £5000!!

Not only are students unlikely to be in a position to find $5000, they are also unlikely to need 90% of what's included in the Suite (Maya/Max, Mudbox, MotionBuilder, Softimage, Sketchbook).

I just can't see how they're going to sell any licenses to students now. I mean, if you've got money coming in, either as an experienced freelancer or indeed as an established studio, then of course £3000+ a seat is a cost that is recovered quickly, but for a graduate - I think it's pretty crazy to expect them to find that kind of money.

I for one cannot afford that in the slightest and will have to purchase an alernative like Modo.

Replies

• Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    What the hell!
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Great move. As a graduate leaving university you're not going to have any money. In theory, the best way to get money is to do what you do best - so if you can't get a full time job, some freelancing / contracting makes sense. Except now you can't afford to do that either.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds as if some Pixologic/Luxology/Newtek spies have infiltrated into the marketing department of Autodesk.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Technically it's not the student pricing they are raising, thats still 250. I got all riled up reading the thread title, ready to come in here and say that Autodesk must have signed a deal with piratebay to increase their traffic. It's not exactly fair on graduates no, especially considering the loans they will already have to pay off, but raising the actual student bundle would have been a major dick move.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I wonder what the sense is in this commercially. You'd think It'd be better to be getting some money rather than none at all.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Andreas wrote: »
    Technically it's not the student pricing they are raising, thats still 250

Yeah sorry, slight topic title fail.

Unfortunately I suppose it's just another case of Autodesks dominance, they know that ultimately, the students will end up with a license somehow, whether thats through a future employer who pays full price for it, or after raising enough capital they feel they need to get Max/Maya just to align with the rest of the industry (regardless of which industry that is).

As I said, the reseller has apparently had plenty of complaints already and exmaples of potential buyers going with an alternative package, so hopefully the message gets through... although I don't expect them to change it.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe we'll more people going with Modo if they are freelance modelling/rendering, or even Blender.

Eat3D should do a hard surface Modo DVD! :)
  • tanka
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, I was looking at buying 3DS max in the near future, and they've gone and jacked up the price again. And at the same time, adobe announced an incredibly reasonable priced subscription plan for their master collection. It's a joke. It makes it incredibly difficult to start out as an freelance/indie artist.

Such is life I guess.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    tanka wrote: »
    And at the same time, adobe announced an incredibly reasonable priced subscription plan for their master collection. It's a joke. It makes it incredibly difficult to start out as an freelance/indie artist.

Better than that; they allow full commercial usage on their student versions. As long as you are genuinely a student at the time of purchase, you have a completely unlimited, regular version. I bought Production Premium CS5.5 for £219!
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    What student buys their art programs while in school? (zbrush, adobe, autodesk, ect..)
  • ikken
    whats_true wrote: »
    What student buys their art programs while in school? (zbrush, adobe, autodesk, ect..)
    back in 2009, we had zbrush and maya provided at school in Vancouver and were actually encouraged to purchase student licenses while schooling to take advantage of huge discount on legal software.
    love the overall well-thought autodesk approach especially since art-schools generally increase tuition costs every year, so fresh graduates would have even less pocket money to purchase their software

and yeah, looks like piratebay is the new black in the light of these news.
    Maybe we'll more people going with Modo if they are freelance modelling/rendering, or even Blender.

this issue only affects students (unless corporate licenses are going to be offered at over 9000 per unit)
    I don't see the point for a freshman to learn modo if his future employer is going to be autodesk-centered, and there're many reasons why studios will not switch from AD products completely.

this pricing upgrade will effectively promote a) 2nd hand/outdated version licenses demand for good kids- which AD doesn't like for obv reasons b) piracy - which, I assume, is one step worse than re-selling.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    To be fair, it has always seemed odd to me that if you're going to be making money from or with Autodesk products you get to buy them for cheap, while if you're a mere hobbyist you have to pay an arm and a leg. Now at least both have an outrageous price.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Like others have said, this will probably push more people into switching to Blender, Modo, or piracy. Not many people have that kind of spare cash after graduation.
  • uncle
    Hmm. Good news for Modo/3dCoat?
  • johngloid
    Offline / Send Message
    johngloid polycounter lvl 17
    You may want to try another reseller. I just found a student to commercial upgrade online for $1300 for Maya 2013.

http://www.novedge.com/products/3743?AFTK=FRGL&gclid=CIXK7vba168CFUFo4Aoda33_CQ

This listing is an exception. Most resellers have this, but don't put it on the site. Best to contact another reseller.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    johngloid wrote: »
    You may want to try another reseller. I just found a student to commercial upgrade online for $1300 for Maya 2013.

http://www.novedge.com/products/3743?AFTK=FRGL&gclid=CIXK7vba168CFUFo4Aoda33_CQ

This listing is an exception. Most resellers have this, but don't put it on the site. Best to contact another reseller.

Hmm, that's interesting. I'd like to know how they're doing this. As far as I can tell, it's not so much that you can't upgrade Max or Maya for the old price, it's more that you just cannot purchase Maya or Max on their own as a student version, you have to buy the Suite. Once you have the Suite, you can then only upgrade to the Suite which has the big increase in cost.

This means if you bought a version of Max in 2010/11/12 then you can possibly still do it, but here in the UK, I just can't get hold of a license of just Max.

I spoke to 3 resellers here in the UK who all had to call Autodesk to check what the deal was for 2013, and all came back with the same info. I'm keen to look into this though. The problem is nobody seems to be able to give me a straight answer. Autodesk refuse to divulge pricing info as they 'only deal with resellers' and resellers seem unsure themselves.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Adobe recently announced that they were doing much better with their 'cloud' scheme, and may even expand on this idea more in the future since no-one-year you're paying the full price, and are a constant monthly/yearly update scheme.

So yeah, I'm confused as to why Autodesk would do this, they aren't doing too hot in the development of their own tools, and their saturation of 'buy this to get this, and get this to get that' is spreading them too thin in the market, plus, lack of 'standardization' in their own tools, and the almost fighting against other tools, they should be ashamed at the price they're asking.

Plus, with Government less willing to support 'art' school, after finding out they serve no purpose other then ego-boosting, this puts the consumer in a much tighter spot to afford things.

So yeah, I'm honestly worried that Autodesk is going to report massive losses in the next few months.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ok something doesn't seem quite right here. After extensive Googling it seems there's always been a fair bit of confusion between Autodesk, Resellers and potential Student 'Upgraders'.

Some say you can upgrade to just Max/Maya, some say you can't and there doesn't seem to be concrete evidence either way.

It seems nuts that Autodesk would suddenly drop the option to upgrade one main package, surely they know a lot of customers only need one main package and not a suite.

The thing is, some of the suites aimed at other industries aren't too bad. I mean, if you work in BIM or M+E for example, then the Building Design Suite consists of packages you would likely make use of but with the Entertainment Creation Suite, I'm not sure who would use both Max and Maya, as well as Softimage, MotionBuilder and Sketchbook. It kinda seems like they've thought of the building industry and thought 'hmm well it works for these guys, let's just stick the other products together and called it the Entertainment Suite'.

They still sell Max/Maya standalone, so why can't we upgrade to one of them?

Ken Pimental if you're reading this can you do a bit if digging? I know it's outside your department but in sure you've got better contacts than we have!
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    How to undermine an entire industry...pricepoint the tools beyond the reach of the people working in it. Good idea...:(
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Well, that's unfortunately what can happen when an industry is monopolized by a single company. Yeah I know there is other alternatives, but they do have bought the biggest and most used 3d packages. I personally would have liked that XSI stayed out of Autodesk, even though they might had a infusing of money, I just don't think its good in the long run.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    McGreed wrote: »
    Well, that's unfortunately what can happen when an industry is monopolized by a single company.

Yep.

This is the problem. I currently work in architectural visualisation and as much as I would love to switch to an alternative package, it's just so difficult when Autodesk have had such a stronghold for so long. I mean, sure I could switch to Modo, or Cinema4D but then I lose mentalRay, all of the associated plugins, material libraries, shaders, scripts etc and the large majority of model libraries are produced for use in Max.

I also need to regularly swap scene files and CAD files with other employees and clients and of course 99% of them are using Max.

The thing is, there really is no solution as 'complete' for me as Max. There are better modellers, better renderers, better unwrapping solutions, but no single 'in the box' package that does everything as well as Max does in terms of overall ability. Its just unfortunate that Autodesk know this and know they can price their products to whatever the hell they like and people will be almost forced to stick with them.

I'd estimate that students make up such a minute part of their sales figures that even if every student decided to purchase a competing product, it would barely leave a scratch in their profits.

I definitely feel for the hobbyists though, or the students who just want to continue to use a package at home. Fortunately I should be able to recover any costs that I do spend on the software because it's my job, but I'm pretty sure those guys who just want to use it for fun or practice aren't going to be able to come up with £4000 or more just to keep playing. I guess they'll head for the torrent sites as people have said.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    But is it? Blender is fastest, cheapest, and best option so far in terms of package creation that I have tested out, pity more studio's don't use it, it has all the missing stuff that Autodesk should have put into Blender years ago.

Just like Max, the only thing you're missing out from Blender is a 'fast' solution for rigging, but everything else is on par and even better.

Honestly, Autodesk should be ashamed. Their own programs, half of the time, fight between themselves in terms what they do and how they work, they're not standardized nor synchronized, hell, you can't even meddle with them enough to make it work with your engine properly, and the recent dick move of not listening what Normal Map tangents people want is abysmal to say the least.

All this, plus some more issues, not to mention half arse implementation of DX10 and Nitrous, broken switches, the fact that graphite tools 'change' everytime you change your object mode, causing lag, and they're asking for 3-4K from my money.

Yeah no, I think it's time I learned Blender and cut this part of the headache of my life.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It's just not as good in a professional environment. Well, not in my line of work anyway, I can't speak for the games industry.

There's no other render engine that comes close to mentalRay (other than VRay and to a certain extent Maxwell) for Arch-Vis, and Max's handling of DWG/DWF files is rock solid, which unfortunately is where other apps usually fall short in my workflow. And since CAD file handling and final render output are effectively the two most important parts of my job, I'm stuck with Autodesk.

I love 3DS Max, don't get me wrong, and I'd like to think I could recover the costs of the software in a realistic amount of time I just wish it wasn't going to cost me £4000 up-front that I don't have.
  • maze
    as Max does in terms of overall ability.

...eeh yeah there is, its called softimage xsi. I have been a big max user since the last 5 years, last year I switched to softimage and my worflow/speed improved drastically.
    - it hardly crashes (almost never), the ui is not full of shit, passes are an awesome thing, also overwrites, uv unwrapping is a "mode" not a modifier!!! , mental ray integration is the best you will find (you can use a mix 8 colors to blend more shaders...etc), and for dealing with metric system,although not by default you could use a custom ice script for this. In resume in my opinion it does almost everything that max does, but more elegantly and with less hassle.
    Not to mention that you have raycast selection and the ability to modify several objects at once, you also have ice....and now even vray for the people in archviz.
    I am not trying to bash max as I still use it for some stuff (like uvpacking and for textools) Because I agree that xsi's uv sucks, besides unfold which is great. But I would seriously consider it as an alternative package for those of you who are still unsure.

You ll definetly hardly come back to max.... except of course for the hundreds of awesome plugins like soulburn scripts, textools, rock placer...etc ... (that in the end could be achieved with some ice knowledge)
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yep, but it's also only available to students who want to upgrade as part of the Ents Creation Suite like Max/Maya, which is around £5000 inc tax.
  • maze
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Yep, but it's also only available to students who want to upgrade as part of the Ents Creation Suite like Max/Maya, which is around £5000 inc tax.

yeah that fu#$%# sucks man, I know.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    But they do exactly the same thing :?

It's only the interface and shortcuts that change.

Although I guess as you mentioned, the problem are the clients and workplace, if they don't use anything else other then Max, CAD, etc, then using XSI, Maya, 3DC, etc will be out of place, which is unfortunate to say the least and Autodesk has you by the balls.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    If you want to view it that way then it's more a question of 'is the technical support they offer worth it?'.

If your a big studio maybe, for an individual probably not...
  • maze
    But they do exactly the same thing :?

It's only the interface and shortcuts that change.
    mmm, yes and no. When I said elegant and without hassle, what I wanted to say is that for me to have max at an "optimal level" I have to hack the Sh#% out of it with plugins and utilities, etc . In xsi I can open it and start working without worring about constant viewport lag, 3ds max screwing stuff one version after the other, my scenes getting randomly corrupted, etc... for instance the "tweak component tool" that is max equivalent to soft selection, is far more intuitive to use and change brush sizes as well as other stuff. We could also talk about python integration, gator, face robot, etc..

Some might say its almost the same and they do the same in the end and this might be true, although my point is not what but how is it done. And all this is coming from someone which first time that looked at xsi said the interface had ugly big buttons that look childish...ha
    and I like my 3d max with all its plugins etc etc.... well, 9 months and 3 projects after,
    I feel like I ve done a good choice leaving max behind as a main app. Last time I really enjoyed max was version 2009 - 64 bit... simple but tight. and as I cant have that anymore in production well I had to look for something else.

I could definitely add more points but they wont probably make much sense here as I work in the film industry and they would be towards a render based workflow, also its obvious that max has some awesome benefits for the game community... such as good viewport shaders (xolioul, 3 point studios..) I can't definitely take that off from it. Xsi does not have that kind of viewport shading quality as far as I am concerned.

Now there are still lots of stuff I like from max... and I would really like it to get simpler as in 2009 but looks like it is too much to ask for atm.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    back to clay and markers i guess
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    @Maze: I was talking about Blender vs. Max (free vs. expensive and bloates).

XSI is great, but the issue is that alot of the people using it don't use it's full potential. Everyone was giddy about ICE when it got implemented, but when it came out, a large number of people never spoke of it again, so yeah, XSI is kind of the Unsung hero in many cases. Wish it was more used in all industries, I mean between XSI and Blender, XNormal and 'insert render/engine here' is pretty much all you need.

And don't remind me about Max's corruption issue, I once had an entire scene become 'uv' corrupt, so my entire scene which had a small bunker and ship in it lost all the UV's for some odd reason, for around 5 revisions of the file. It was nightmare checking each pieces and laying them out again, Max's issues also cost a friend of mine his job :/

@Frell: Dude, I will just be happy if we could go back to Diffuse only.
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Even if the students just pirate, Autodesk will still win. With everybody training on their software, once it's time for business they'll be getting the money.
  • Vio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Personally I wish AutoDesk would just follow the business model Epic went for with their engines. Isn't it like free until you actually make money off it? sounds way more fair to me.
  • johngloid
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, that's interesting. I'd like to know how they're doing this. As far as I can tell, it's not so much that you can't upgrade Max or Maya for the old price, it's more that you just cannot purchase Maya or Max on their own as a student version, you have to buy the Suite. Once you have the Suite, you can then only upgrade to the Suite which has the big increase in cost.

This means if you bought a version of Max in 2010/11/12 then you can possibly still do it, but here in the UK, I just can't get hold of a license of just Max.

I spoke to 3 resellers here in the UK who all had to call Autodesk to check what the deal was for 2013, and all came back with the same info. I'm keen to look into this though. The problem is nobody seems to be able to give me a straight answer. Autodesk refuse to divulge pricing info as they 'only deal with resellers' and resellers seem unsure themselves.

Not sure I follow. The reseller I listed confirmed you could purchase the $250 student suite, and then upgrade to the commercial version of just Maya for $1300. True, you can't purchase just the Maya student version for $50 or so, but an extra $200 is a small price to pay for a discounted future upgrade.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Not sure I follow. The reseller I listed confirmed you could purchase the $250 student suite, and then upgrade to the commercial version of just Maya for $1300. True, you can't purchase just the Maya student version for $50 or so, but an extra $200 is a small price to pay for a discounted future upgrade.

Ah sorry yes you're right. That's exactly how it used to work here too; you buy the Suite but then upgrade to just Max/Maya. Did you actually speak to them about this? I know that sounds odd since they have it on their website but I'm being told explicitly that you cannot upgrade to just Max/Maya yet Novedge are saying you can do just that.

I need to get to the bottom of this because if I spend £3500 on a new license of Max this week and then find out that the resellers were wrong I'm going to be pretty annoyed.
  • Kraftwerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Lately i dont worry much anymore about Autodesks greedy buissness model, there are alternates out there and with Blender 2.63 released today why bother with such overpriced products ?
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Vio wrote: »
    Personally I wish AutoDesk would just follow the business model Epic went for with their engines. Isn't it like free until you actually make money off it? sounds way more fair to me.

But Autodesk products are tools not engines. It's pretty easy to track down who's not using a licensed UDK by the fact anything the publish carries the engine with it. Admittedly the student version of max would flag it as student when exporting, but not with a render in your folio, or in your movie, or in the assets in your game.
  • Vio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Snacuum wrote: »
    But Autodesk products are tools not engines. It's pretty easy to track down who's not using a licensed UDK by the fact anything the publish carries the engine with it. Admittedly the student version of max would flag it as student when exporting, but not with a render in your folio, or in your movie, or in the assets in your game.

lol don't worry I did say "wish"
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk wrote: »
    Lately i dont worry much anymore about Autodesks greedy buissness model, there are alternates out there and with Blender 2.63 released today why bother with such overpriced products ?
    Studios and Clients, that's the problem.

The guys at WETA for example, during downtime use Blender, but not for 'real' projects since then many of the other peeps in the pipeline wouldn't know what to do without spending a couple of months in learning everything.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio wrote: »

That's pretty much the reality anyway lol just not an Autodesk authorised reality.
  • johngloid
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah sorry yes you're right. That's exactly how it used to work here too; you buy the Suite but then upgrade to just Max/Maya. Did you actually speak to them about this? I know that sounds odd since they have it on their website but I'm being told explicitly that you cannot upgrade to just Max/Maya yet Novedge are saying you can do just that.

I need to get to the bottom of this because if I spend £3500 on a new license of Max this week and then find out that the resellers were wrong I'm going to be pretty annoyed.

Yup over the phone. I don't know of anyone that's tried it so I can't confirm. Also not 100% sure on their return policy in the slim chance it doesn't.

Also, you can look into the Autodesk Unemployed Training Program. You have to be unemployed and able to prove it. And I only think the license lasts for 12 months (unconfirmed), but it has the same benefits as the Student versions ie $1300 to upgrade. The price for the AUTP commercial upgrade you have to call every vendor about though. They don't list it on the websites at all.
  • JamesQuall
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesQuall polycounter lvl 7
    this will breed more alternatives, I'm going to stay a hobby modeler till you don't have to use their products to do it for a living. Boycott Autodesk, they buy everyone up then force insane prices on everyone. They would make more money if they used the zbrush model. Now everyone just pirates it, well I for one am not going that route.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, can we tone down the 'Arr' talks before this thread gets purged? PC rules 101.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yup over the phone. I don't know of anyone that's tried it so I can't confirm. Also not 100% sure on their return policy in the slim chance it doesn't.

Also, you can look into the Autodesk Unemployed Training Program. You have to be unemployed and able to prove it. And I only think the license lasts for 12 months (unconfirmed), but it has the same benefits as the Student versions ie $1300 to upgrade. The price for the AUTP commercial upgrade you have to call every vendor about though. They don't list it on the websites at all.

Ok great, thanks. I'll give Autodesk UK a call tomorrow and hopefully get some straight answers direct.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I won't qualify for the AUTP. I'm still a student until June though so hopefully I can still go that route.

I asked the same question on AREA and apparently resellers are notorious for setting their own pricing/upgrade paths so it wouldn't surprise me if they're just pushing sales of Suites, and playing dumb to upgrading to a standalone seat of Max.
  • AtomicClucker
    Luckily for me, I'll be student just a bit longer, but Autodesk's escalation of prices gives many of us headaches in the long run.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Studios and Clients, that's the problem.

The guys at WETA for example, during downtime use Blender, but not for 'real' projects since then many of the other peeps in the pipeline wouldn't know what to do without spending a couple of months in learning everything.

Weta use Blender? Where did you read that? In what capacity do they use it? They ever put stuff up online?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    That's pretty much the reality anyway lol just not an Autodesk authorised reality.

hu what? as a student you can get their full portfolio for free no need to download any warez version, just go to their educational platform.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't know, I'm a Blender user at home and no longer a student. I thought it was 250 pounds for student licences? (Which is very reasonable)
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Weta use Blender? Where did you read that? In what capacity do they use it? They ever put stuff up online?
    Free time, I had a teacher form there and he said some of the guys even compete themselves against one and another to see who can do X in Blender at a certain period of time.

They don't use it officially for work related products, just personal stuff, but many would love to have the option in the pipeline.

Only issue is, as said, it would take several months for people to actually transfer the project to it, not to mention years in revamping the entire pipeline from Maya/XSI/Motionbuilder to the final project.