Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Golf Tee Box Progression

aaronaton
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
aaronaton polycounter lvl 6
Hello i am currently created stylistic GOLF assets for my portfolio.
The one i am currently trying to get going is a Tee Box.
Here is my concept that i made:

concept.jpg

Basically i want to keep it in-game low poly with a diffuse and normal map etc. I just need some critique and some advice on topology. I reckon i am about 50% through the base mesh, then i will create a separate mesh with bevelled edges ready for zbrush export.

Progress.jpg

I still need to add thing to the mesh in post sculpting, ive got ideas for flowers, tee markers and a characterised yardage statue.

Replies

• aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to mention that i want to create a 'hand painted texture' look for my diffuse, kinda 'Everybodys golf' style is what i am going for.
    Here is a concept i made for the cart to give you an idea on the style i am going for:

NSXcartPS.jpg
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the base model, UV'd it a mid way through the zbrush high poly.
    This is just showing the ambient occlusion that was baked and painted over in PS.

Progress2.jpg
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpt3.jpg
    sculpt1.jpg
    sculpt2.jpg

Zbrush sculpt nearly ready for export, did alot of flattening, malleting etc to get rocks edge forms then used stencils! :)

Think i will use something like crazy bump later on for the stairs and floor tiles after the textures have been painted.
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bake.jpg

Quick bake, 1024 map.
    Think my rock texture/colour is going to be far different from my concept, thinking of going the 'Australian' orange rock look.
    Also need to iron out some of the artifacts withing my normal map just to get rid of some of the bad edges.
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started my hand painted textures, these ones will be for the walls that are near the stairs, kinda going for big cobbles places in concrete.

handPaintedFloor.jpg
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked more on the wall texture today, the reason for the top down lighting is because its on a wall btw. Need a few crits before i paint shadows on the concrete stuff from the rocks and begin to tile.

cobbleProgress2.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I don''t think a bullet-container works in this setting. Unless it's like an unlockable/customization item.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I think your sculpt for the rocks could still use some work.. I recommend pushing the shapes and sharpening them up a little bit. I've been sculpting the rocks here at Psyonix, and I've learned that using the Trim Dynamic brush is awesome for getting those nice stylized shapes you are trying to achieve.
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers guys
    @ Snader - The ammo container was just a lil touch, basically i am creating all the assets and concept art for my own makeshift game, if that makes sense, i'm thinking it'll look good in my portfolio, i have various other concepts that are WIP. The game is simply a fusion of cartoony golf with a military twist. C4 balls, courses on military bases, lots of explosions etc, kind of a contradiction to all the golfing etiquette and peacefulness! I'll will be give my TeeBox a twist once the main Geo is textured and ready btw.

@ErichWK - Yeah i guess you're right but i didn't get the crits early enough so i moved forward, imo ive spent too much time on tweaking my normal map to go back for a 2nd sculpt, i'm just praying that the final product works well! thanks anyway matey.
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floor tile texture to go on top where you tee off and possibly the stairs:

FloorPNG.png
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ProgressNew.png

Re-worked alot of colour in the rock texture and worked in the grass texture with divots! The white cubes represent that it is a competition Tee, going to give them a NRM map with the hole number on them soon, still racking my brains to come up with a suitable mascot/statue to feature near the Tee that incorporates the Hole info/yardage etc.
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I like the overall forms you've got here, but the normals on your cliff could use some work, I know you said you've spent too much time already, but I really think you should consider reworking that sculpt.

Also, on the part near the stairs, the sudden cutoff from one texture to another is very jarring. The grass on top looks like a photograph, not hand-painted like the rest of the textures.

I like the concept though, and you've clearly got some good hand-painting skills, as your tile floor looks very good, I'd just like to see that style on everything.
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    aaronaton wrote: »
    Floor tile texture to go on top where you tee off and possibly the stairs:

FloorPNG.png

Are those dropshadow layer effects?? Nuuuuuu! Paint them in yourself, they'll look more natural.