Home Technical Talk

Maya to Udk Non continuous mesh texture.

Sentient
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Sentient polycounter lvl 6
I made a model of a tree in maya, none of the branches are connected to the trunk of the tree via vertex, they are simply moved into place. I have combined all the meshes using the maya combine tool and exported to udk. When I apply my material it comes out half textured. Will I have to attach every limb of the tree via vertex point to make a continuous mesh or is there something I'm missing.

jZYZZ.jpg

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably because of backface culling.

Turn on "2 sided" in the material properties.
  • Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for responding Gsokol, I have 2 sided turned on because of the double sided branches as they are just single planes. I think It is a problem with my attachment method in Maya.

PDnen.jpg

I found a Tree Tutorial, at 13:18 he attaches his non continuous mesh branches to his trunk through attachment. I need to find a way to do this in Maya, as the combine mesh didn't seem to work.
  • makanops
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK may think your mesh has two materials assigned - one for the trunk, and one for the attached branches. I'm not certain how to work around that in Maya, but in UDK, it's pretty easy.

Go to static mesh editor for the tree and look for a second LOD level with an additional material slot, then just assign the same tree material.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh dang I totally read that wrong.

Yea, definitely looks like you have 2 materials assigned to the mesh. You probably assigned a material to a face instead of the whole model by accident or something. Just select the mesh in object mode in Maya and apply a material...and that should fix it.
  • Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are both gentlemen and scholars it is fixed.