Home Technical Talk

[Repost] I Have a 3dsmax Question! :C

warcraft-warglaive-azzinoth-papercraft.jpg

Hey there, this is the model i will be attempting! Its a weapon from the WoW game. I remember Creating a model like this with Milkshape, and what i did was place vertexs around the blade and use the 'fill' function to make triangles, i then extruded the model and shaped it, i was wondering if the same could be done in 3dsmax, if so could someone please let me know how it is done :) thank you

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you create a plane, convert it into an editable poly, and go into face mode, there should be a "create" button that you can use to place vertices that will form faces once you place 4 of them.

I think you would have an easier time using the edge drag method though. Place a plane to start with, convert it to an editable poly, go into edge mode, then select an edge, hold shift, and drag out a new face. Just keep doing this while switching to vertex mode to refine the shape. Then you can add a shell or extrude modifier once you have the basic shape in order to give it depth.
  • pǝlloɹ┴
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, thanks for the fast reply, and ill give it a go and let you know if it helped :)
  • pǝlloɹ┴
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey i have another question, whats a suggested poly amount for a model like this? just need to check if im over doing it :/
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it really depends on what it's going to be used for to be honest. I see that you said it's from WoW, so are you trying to keep it to those specifications? Or is it for a first person game where it will be seen up close?

If you are trying to stick to the WoW specs, I would say try to keep it around 500-800 tris at the most. For a game with higher specs, you could go much higher, although with such a simple weapon I don't think you would need anymore than 2000-3000 tris for a first person model.
  • pǝlloɹ┴
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok :) and yea it's going to be like WoW ^_^