Home Technical Talk

How to get out vertex colors from Maya 2012 ?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
Hi !,

I am making some assets for my homepage (www.handpaintedtextures.com) where i sell texture and assets. Many objects that i have done uses vertex colors to create additional variations on the texture. The problem is that i cant get it out from Maya !

. I have heard that Collada supports vertex colors but there is no Collada version that works with Maya 2012. Any ideas? , Right now when people buy a 3d model from the page they only get a .obj file. As you know obj doesnt support vertex color.

Kindly // Jimmy

Replies

• Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    .fbx should work fine with vertex colors. If you want to use collada with vertex colors, I think it doesn't export them straight out. You can export as .fbx and then convert to collada using the fbx standalone converter http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=10775855&siteID=123112 I had to use it for an engine that uses collada format, and it came through fine in the conversion.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    FBX is the way to go.
    Unity and UDK accepts it
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    JMYoung wrote: »
    .fbx should work fine with vertex colors. If you want to use collada with vertex colors, I think it doesn't export them straight out. You can export as .fbx and then convert to collada using the fbx standalone converter http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=10775855&siteID=123112 I had to use it for an engine that uses collada format, and it came through fine in the conversion.

I think FBX is even better !, I havent found any setting for vertex colors. I exported it and imported the fbx scene to Maya and the vertex colors where gone am i missing something ?

Also a quaestion i am using the link you saved me, are another version of FBX built into maya by default ?

Kindly // Jimmy
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    bugo wrote: »
    FBX is the way to go.
    Unity and UDK accepts it

Great i will use that then. thanks.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    jimpaw wrote: »
    Hi !,

I am making some assets for my homepage (www.handpaintedtextures.com) where i sell texture and assets. Many objects that i have done uses vertex colors to create additional variations on the texture. The problem is that i cant get it out from Maya !

. I have heard that Collada supports vertex colors but there is no Collada version that works with Maya 2012. Any ideas? , Right now when people buy a 3d model from the page they only get a .obj file. As you know obj doesnt support vertex color.

Kindly // Jimmy

Huh?

Unless something has changed in the service pack...
    then choose dae_fbx from your export options and fbx will export a .dae file ( collada dile format ).

I am not sure what the collada drop down menu features were.. but if I remember right, all u need is default values to export vertex colors via a collada file.

( before UE3 used FBX for import they were cheerleading for a collada future. importing in UDK as .dae should import vertex colors into unreal just fine? )

If I am not understanding an issue have u checked with khronos.org as well for any plug-ins?
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough wrote: »
    Huh?

( before UE3 used FBX for import they were cheerleading for a collada future. importing in UDK as .dae should import vertex colors into unreal just fine? )

er... depending on which version.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    claydough wrote: »
    er... depending on which version.

I am using Maya 2012 and it doesnt work with the sollution your suggesting.
    i havent checked on khronos.org yet. will try that to.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I think FBX is even better !, I havent found any setting for vertex colors. I exported it and imported the fbx scene to Maya and the vertex colors where gone am i missing something ?

Also a quaestion i am using the link you saved me, are another version of FBX built into maya by default ?

Kindly // Jimmy

Yeah, often times there will be a newer fbx plugin version at that link. However, I'd probably save it out in a semi-older version to make sure it's compatible. Just in case everyone hasn't upgraded to fbx2013 or whatever version they're currently on.

If you export an fbx file vertex colors(and other data) should save out with the default export settings. When you import, it won't show up, so you have to select the mesh and do something like Color>Toggle Display Color Attributes or you can check "Display Colors" in the shape node attribute editor under mesh component display. It should work fine as I've done several tests and it exports and imports fine with .fbx

I just did a test exporting and importing collada with Maya and it works fine as well. When I tested last night, it didn't work, so not sure what happened there. I seemed to remember the need to convert from fbx to collada in the past which is why I posted that converter link, but perhaps that is not needed anyway.

Concerning UDK, I don't even see the option to import dae files anymore. I haven't used it in awhile, so I'm not sure if that functionality was removed at some point? Or perhaps it exists elsewhere in the editor that I don't know about.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    "you can check "Display Colors" in the shape node attribute editor under mesh component display. It should work fine as I've done several tests and it exports and imports fine with .fbx "

That worked perfect !! ,Thanks so much man great work !! , And thanks everyone else who commented on this tread !

Kindly // Jimmy
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am using Maya 2012 and it doesnt work with the sollution your suggesting.
    i havent checked on khronos.org yet. will try that to.

No, sorry...
    I meant depending which version of UDK
    ( and even with this march u can find some import back doors that will still make use of collada. tho I imagine they will finish aligning all the file import filters to exclude it )

Checking Maya 2012 with default fbx and I still see the DAE_FBX in export options?

can anyone confirm as much is missing in subscription versions?
    2013?

And upgraded FBX versions?

Otherwise I have a ton of DAE files I need to convert from old unreal projects.