Home General Discussion

Does it mean anything if an India based studio outsources outside India?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
Anybody can share experience working for overseas clients outside the West?

Currently bidding on a project. I knocked down my usual rate (just a bit) since I want to look "competitive" vs India based artists.

Maybe the outfit I'm dealing with is just fishing for data but I'm giving this a try. I'm not desperate but just curious seeing where my thinking-outside-the-box in this case would lead me.

One thing that made me contact these guys is that I saw a recent 60 Minutes show episode where they featured the mania for gold in India. They're like the number one consumers of gold in the world so I'm thinking there must be a lot of rich guys (maybe studio owners) over there :poly124:

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    I think what's important is to make sure the client understands that they will be getting high quality, better communication and save money down the line from not having to pay artists to fix up the assets from the big outsourcing studio. They're cheap and fast, you're reliable and of higher standards (hopefully!). They pay for what they get.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Heya Mate,

I've been doing outsource since 2003, that's when I started Exis. In my experience, Don't ever bid to be competitive with india/china. Bid to live you life or run your company. India/china put out low quality work, even though there may be some talented people there.

I have had Chinese/Indian companies approach me at GDC and say "we can provide you with 500 artists"; what they mean is "we can provide 1 artist to pass your company's art test, and 499 untrained people we grabbed off the street two weeks ago and handed 3dsmax to" to do the production work.

Exis has repeatedly redone work from those overseas places.When companies go overseas it's almost invariably higher cost for them in the long term. Smart managers know this; but managers looking to make a name for themselves try their luck, and almost always fail.

Keep up your quality, provide professional service, and don't ever waste your time bidding against people who are not really in the business they claim they are. Take the Exis outsource team motto to heart. "We're not the cheapest, we're the best". Know the value of yoru skills, and don't let other people devalue it, and eventually, everyone will know your value.