Home Technical Talk

3dsMax Normal Mapped Beveled Cyclinder Issue

Hey guys, sure you’ve heard that title a 100 times..

Anyway, I’m trying to teach myself normal mapping as part of my final portfolio at uni this year. After reading through a number of posts here, especially Earthquakes, I decided to try and emulate a few of his example models to get started.

However, as you can see below I’m getting some errors. I used a similar low poly geo and UV layout to Earthquake’s gun barrel end here:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

My error seems to be conveniently vacant on his bake. Here’s a few bit of info that might be helpful:
Projection cage is super close to hi poly, no missed rays though
Normal map is applied correctly though the bump->normal bump channel (set to 100 though?)

Anyone want to point out where I’m going wrong, please? Also I’m guessing since the bottom ½ of the model is the same as the top I could’ve layered the UVs?

NormalMapHelp1.jpg

Help2.jpg

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Those look like hard edges, if they are your normal map is baking properly.
    Usually you will separate your UV edges where a hard edge is to prevent artifacts from an abrupt change in the normals direction. It is minimal right now but gets worse with lower resolution and higher angles.

In this case I would simply leave the UV's alone & soften the edges inside the UV islands.

some reading if you want a more thorough explanation http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73593
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah make sure your hard edges match your uv layout. When you have a hard edge but no uv seam the baker tries to draw two different angles along that one line of pixels and you get these artifacts.

You dont always need hardedges where you have uv seams(but it never hurts)
    You do always need uv seams where you have hard edges

Edit: Just a note, you can fix the problem by adjusting either the smoothing groups or the uvs.
  • RavenTheBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RavenTheBird polycounter lvl 12
    can you post your low poly model with cage on highpoly screen?
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I was adjusting the smoothing groups on an edit poly modifier on top of my UV Unwrap. I went back and sorted out SG’s on the original edit poly so they match the UV islands, and the problem is pretty much solved. I played around with other smoothing group combos like 1 SG for the entire model, but I can’t seem to get that outer edge of the circles smooth. Is this caused by the fact I’ve separated the UV there and thus defined a hard edge?

Here’s an updated render/normal map, and the cage/hi poly screen u asked for Raven (added UV template for good measure too).

HelpFIXED.jpg
    NormalMapHelpFIXED.jpg
    Hilocagescreen.jpg
    UVtempFINAL.jpg
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know, looks pretty good to me. The only thing I notice is your normal map doesn't have any padding.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I baked it out at 2k with 3px of padding, but since I re-sized it to 1k, its pretty imperceptible. There was another thread that Earthquake had contributed on the pitfalls of padding, but for the life of me I can't find it...

Since I'm downsizing after in PS, should I originally bake with 2x the padding to make up for it?

EDIT:typo
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Dippndots wrote: »
    I baked it out at 2k with 3px of padding, but since I re-sized it to 1k, its pretty imperceptible. There was another thread that Earthquake had contributed on the pitfalls of padding, but for the life of me I can't find it...

Since I'm downsizing after in PS, should I originally bake with 2x the padding to make up for it?

Not the pitfalls of padding- it was probably the importance of padding. Set a high value like 16 or 32
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    it was probably the importance of padding.
    Yeah that's exactly what the thread was on, bad wording on my part
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Dippndots wrote: »

You probably want about 2x px of padding for every step up from 256x, so 512s with 4px, 1024s with 8 px, 2048s with 16x.

Those are minimums, too.

More padding literally never hurts, there is no reason not to crank that up high.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys, definitely a huge step forward in getting the portfolio rolling for the year, normal mapping seems a lot less like black magic now.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I always do like 64px padding, even on small textures, no real reason not to.

More important than baker padding is making sure you have enough uv padding/spacing, enough space between the uv islands so your texture doesn't blend together when it mips down.