Home General Discussion

How would a Economic/ Dollar collapse affect the Game Industry?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ScottP polycounter lvl 10
So with no real sight of recovery in the coming months/years for the US global economy, and the value of the USD dropping at a rapid decent as we plunge further into debt, its safe to say the question is not `if` but `when`. Many economist are predecting as early as fall 2012 and beyond you can see some sharp alarming point of no return type situations for the USD and Euro as many countrys are already moving away from them.

Im wondering how this would affect the game industry on a global scale? Obviously nearly every country would be affected by it, but would it hurt more than others? Would some countrys strive from it as already you are seeing more companys moving over seas to do business and hire people (for cheaper wages and tax cuts). For Americans this would be a disaster, as having there standard of living and chances of employment get worst than they already are. You might start to see other countrys become stronger as the USA becomes weaker (as you are seeing in china and russia).

The good news is the entertainment industry is alot more bullet proof than other industrys. I guess no matter how bad things get, people are going to want that `escape time` were they can zone out and watch a movie or play a game.

I can see this being worst for huge publishers and developers than for indie studios though, who tend to have a more flexible budget scenario and not as much risk invested. So could it be that while major publishers and developers begin to downsize, indie studios will become stronger? Could the USA no longer be the central hub for game developers as things fall apart and massive unemployment cuts begin hitting people hard?

What would happen?

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    The us dollar isn't dropping. It's low , but not exactly going down?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I think if the next gens somehow stop the used game market, then the increased profit from the downfall of used games would probably even out the decrease in profit from economic depression. so not much would change. but if used games keep at it, then ya, it will hurt.
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    The us dollar isn't dropping. It's low , but not exactly going down?

Actually it very much is, faster than most people realise. You are starting to see many countrys and corporations liquidating there dollar assets and avoiding dealing with it completely. A good exmaple is the Oil industry, which is getting hit hard as major oil supplys are ditching the dollar completely and trading in gold and silver and other alternative currencys. Japan is preparing for the same thing with the Yang and Russia has all but stopped trading with it as well. A huge warning sign was two weeks ago China made an agreement to work with the Saudis on bypasing the petro-dollar agreement made in the 70's that force the Saudis to only sell there oil in USD which is a huge factor in the last few decades of american prosperiety. Anyways, its happening and nothing is really being done by the government to fix the problem, thus its just a matter of time.

This is a pretty good interview i bookmarked to help explain.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpPX0pRxVSo&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpPX0pRxVSo&feature=related[/ame]
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.khanacademy.org/science/finance/current-economics/v/review-of-china-us-currency-situation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jul/15/us-debt-how-big-who-owns

In my non-professional opinion (as in I really don't have any authority in this area), I'd say it'd be a good time for people to figure out how they could become as independent from the global economy as possible. People should start seeing themselves and what they do as a sole proprietorship, learning about how they could work independently and still get by, things like that. The only job you can be sure of having is the job you give yourself, so if everything crashes you can't wait about for someone else to hire you. Moving to somewhere with a more localized economy probably wouldn't be a bad idea either; and if all else fails now would be a good time to learn how to farm :P.
    http://youtu.be/f5RrGFBbbSY
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hey guys, the sky is falling.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know, since I was born - the US was never nuked by Russia and Japan didn't become the new world super power so I tend to err on the side that we as humans are horrible at predicting the future.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Scott, you're reaaaally pessimistic about things.

stock.JPG

Things are bad, but they are nowhere NEAR as bad as they were in 2008-2009. More jobs are being created, things are returning to normal. It will take time but damn, what do you expect? It was the largest financial crisis since the great depression. Comparatively, stock drops were worse in this crisis than then. But things are improving.

Also, what do you think would happen to an industry an a financial collapse? I mean come on, a collapse is a collapse. If people's currency is worth nothing, then EVERY industry in existence will suffer. It's kind of a ridiculous question. In a full collapse, we'd all lose.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    I"m already calling this The Second Great Video Game Crash (the first was back in the '80's).
    We've dug ourselves in such a deep hole that it's gonna take YEARS to get out. I've heard that maybe by 2016 things will start to turn around and you won't see any real prosperity until about 2020?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not seeing anything like the 80's game crash, at least not in the US. As far as it looks to me, we're already on the upswing. Now maybe there will be some trouble when the next generation of consoles launch, letting this gen age so long has been really good for PC gaming.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    It wont. Entertainment goes up during depressions because people want to escape reality, just like they did during the great depression.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    ^ dollar apps will prosper. Not 60 dollar games and 15 dollar movie tickets
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ^ dollar apps will prosper. Not 60 dollar games and 15 dollar movie tickets

Dollar apps aren't immersive, people will just guy games that will last a while like skyrim or something multiplayer heavy.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    One reason there has not been a collapse in the value of the dollar already (as many people predicted) is that a lot of the newly created money is being used to pay off hidden debt, and so the net effect is more or less neutral.

Other reasons are that other national currencies are also losing value, which makes it less obvious. Another reason is that we are spending less on war and instead spending it on things that will help the US economy more.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    frell wrote: »
    It wont. Entertainment goes up during depressions because people want to escape reality, just like they did during the great depression.

yep thats what i was gonna say. we are an anti industry. one that isnt needed but at the same time is really important. entertainment is an interesting thing.

and as time goes on games become a more accepted medium for escaping reality and not thinking about things. much easier than movies because they last longer and are interactive
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    US dollar dropped, but it's going ok, compared to Brazil R$ it's around 1,82 of difference, which is not bad. I don't think US dollar is doing bad.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    On a somewhat related note (US economy and all), I found this to be an interesting, and somewhat enraging, read:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/smallbusiness/1203/gallery.employees/?iid=Lead
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    The question is what the landscape of that industry will look like. Will there still be a need in twenty years for content creators who sculpt, model, and paint game assets? What about ten years?

I can understand this thought process and agree that it seems one likely future, the only thing that scares me or makes me sad is thinking of all the genres that we have begun to enjoy so much being left behind - fps, rts, beat em ups like street fighter....they all play like crap on an ipad! Even kids wont enjoy these genres on an ipad as much as they will enjoy Cut the rope or Fruit ninja! Its not because the game itself is bad its just because the device is not made to play those games. So Im thinking at some point there will be controller plugged into the ipad and then we are already on a road back to full consoles again.

Also there are already games for ipad made by big teams who sculpt model and paint game assets, not on the scale of console games but the processess will be similar one day just on a smaller scale.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It'd kill off the last of the commercial Australian games industry. We're having enough trouble as it is with our dollar being so much higher than the US one.

Wish our economy would take a few hits. Damn miners.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's more interesting, in terms of the games industry specifically, is that little kids are growing up mostly playing games on the iPad now. If I have a six year old and tell her "You have a choice. You can have a PS3 and one $60 game every three months, or you can have an iPad and get as many free games as you want (which is a lot) and one $5 game per week." Most kids will pick the iPad. They don't care about the nerdy graphics stuff we care about. They just want it to be fun. We are the minority. I grew up on the NES and so consoles are my preferential way of playing games. If I had grown up playing games on an iPad, a console would probably feel way too involved and intimidating.
    Why even buy an ipad? Anybody who can afford one probably already has a phone with the exact same games. For that matter shouldn't consoles have been killed off by the PC already? I mean everybody already has one now, you can play most of the same games, and an endless variety of cheaper/free games that don't even exist on mobile devices or consoles.

Infact how did the PC even become a gaming platform in the first place? In the 90s a computer was infinitely more expensive than just buying a console and had fewer games. I was a kid then, if your theory of kids only caring about quantity over quality is true how did my generation end up fueling growth in the PC game market?

But wait, just like you I started playing games on the NES, and I prefer to play games on the PC... how did that happen? Your reasoning basically boils down to the assumption that everyone thinks like you do. You prefer consoles and you've associated this to the fact that it's where you started and so everybody else in coming generations is going to have the same results. I seriously doubt this is the case.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    I think the main weakness in the argument put forward in the OP is that much of its out of date theories from November 2011 when no one knew what might happen with Greece and it was anyone's guess if things could have got far worse.

In the present day Greece has gone beyond the point where if it does default it would be disorderly and in the US your recovery is stronger than in the EU which is the weakest of all the major economies.

In my opinion even the UK is on the way back, we have just had the first budget in 4 years that has anything in it you can call a give away. The only thing that is likely to harm the recovery is talking down economies like most opposing political parties that have a vested interest in doing that right now.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Scott, you're reaaaally pessimistic about things.

stock.JPG

Things are bad, but they are nowhere NEAR as bad as they were in 2008-2009. More jobs are being created, things are returning to normal. It will take time but damn, what do you expect? It was the largest financial crisis since the great depression. Comparatively, stock drops were worse in this crisis than then. But things are improving.

Also, what do you think would happen to an industry an a financial collapse? I mean come on, a collapse is a collapse. If people's currency is worth nothing, then EVERY industry in existence will suffer. It's kind of a ridiculous question. In a full collapse, we'd all lose.

Um, nah dood the problem hasn't been fixed AT ALL. All they did was throw money at it. Which is not a good thing because it devalues the currency, the bank will collapse it's just a matter of when, and when they do, the key for the government will be to LET them fail and collapse on their own instead of throwing on the tax payer.

the chart you posted is Irrelevant, because if the interest rate goes up to like 3% or even normal levels it would be Disastrous just look at how low it is NOW. You can't pay your debts if you keep them that low, no revenue no economy. So what you posted is like an air economy (a bubble) which will blow up some day maybe late this year maybe around 2013 or 14 who knows. but, the banks can't be bailed out again.

Just look at what happened to germany shortly after WWI, when 1 trillion franks = 1 dollar. the same will happen here if the banks are bailed out.

oh and to answer the OBVIOUS question of the thread....

NOTHING GOOD.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    They don't care about the nerdy graphics stuff we care about. They just want it to be fun.

Whaaat?! Games selling based on fun vs how good the tech demo looks! Can't have that!
    I'm not trolling you, i swear. :) I completely agree and you make an excellent argument.

However, I do think that what many people are seeing as "casual" game doomsday is really nothing more than a return to the roots of the games industry, where the focus HAD to be on the depth of gameplay because graphics couldn't carry a title. I feel like we're coming out of a long drawn out graphics arms race that finally cumulated in real-time photo-realism. We pretty much hit that, it's old news now, so we are evolving as an industry and we're getting innovative on many fronts, in terms of graphics and platform and gameplay etc. Apple, as they tend to do, among several others, were there at exactly the right time to cater to that need, and with their hardware they've opened up the market to the entire population.

Our industry has grown...MASSIVELY...over the past few years while all other industries have been in decline. Look at Zynga. Yes yes, i know...and yes they are a bubble that are gonna burst hardcore one of these days. However, whether you like the new wave of games or not, the truth is that they are a gateway drug into the hardcore games that we all know and love. It's helping bring it to the mainstream and opening a massive market.
    Frankly I think people haven't properly explored the potential of the ipad. There are very few that truly look at how a player interacts with the device and use that to drive their design process. Expect new genres to be born that you might like better than FPS.
    On the graphics front, we'll get to better than current gen FPS level graphics and beyond on devices like the ipad in a fraction of the time it took to develop on PC, and the tools to create the awesome art we like to make will keep getting better and faster as well.

I honestly see a renaissance, not a collapse, but you can't hold on to old paradigms or you'll end up a dodo. I consider that my biggest job hazard as a game artist, and something I have to be very vigilant about because our industry moves faster than just about anything else.

So, really, yes there is the economy to a degree, but I'd say that our industry is in a unique situation.

I'd be more concerned personally about companies using the economy as an excuse to offer more contract work instead of salaried positions in an attempt to take advantage of the general skittishness. This thread being a great example of that :P
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also to scott, stop watching all these negative news and alex jones stuff, it's good to be informed but living to be informed of bad news, leads to a depressing life. Go make some art brotha! that's why we're here, don't worry about tomorrow, worry bout today.

and if when the shit storm comes, ugh, well... pray or something >.<
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    After talking to a close friend about this, a friend with some impressive degrees in finance-related areas, I realized how uninformed and completely, 100% WRONG most of us (INCLUDING MYSELF) are about these types of issues. The global economy and financial situation is so insanely complicated, people who spend their entire lives trying to understand them don't know whats going to happen next year, or even next month. I'll let you extrapolate how much you know, as an artist that watches youtube news and reads some articles on the internet, on your own.

I mean, being informed is all well and good, but this is almost as silly as spending a week reading pop-science articles and declaring you know what dark matter is really made of.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    and if when the shit storm comes, ugh, well... pray or something >.<

Drink and make art is the correct action.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nailed it zac, lol
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    One thing that has me concerned/interested, is that I would think that as things suck more in the US, they'll be better elsewhere. Which would mean that in the future there will be more jobs overseas. Europe, Russia, China, etc.

So it has me thinking about immigration and all the stuff that entails. Which honestly I wouldn't mind. Sounds like an adventure too. But it's something to think about. And I'm not sure how easy that is to do.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    ScottPetty wrote: »
    Actually it very much is, faster than most people realise. You are starting to see many countrys and corporations liquidating there dollar assets

No that's wrong. Just check the numbers

http://www.google.com/search?q=usd+vs+eur

The Graph isn't going down. Which is why I was wondering where you get the idea that the us dollar is " rapidly sinking"
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    We should use art to save the world, we are a private sector growth zone with more potential than all-a-yals other zones :D
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's an election year. Lots of people will cook up all kinds of numbers and use scare tactics to freak out the general population.

In other words: Nothing to see here, move along :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the Apocalypse there will be berries and walls... if no berries exist I will use the blood of anyone who dares to trespass on whatever slab of earth I happen to call home. Since there won't be modern contraception so I'll split my time repopulating the earth by night and entertaining the masses with stories and puppet shows during the day... actually that sounds kind of fun I might get started on that before everything goes to hell.

I'm just messing with ya, did you hear that jobless numbers are improving and consumer confidence is up along with the sale of durable goods?

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/27/149465680/consumers-seem-confident-economy-will-grow
    http://www.npr.org/2012/03/29/149602795/new-jobless-claims-at-lowest-level-since-2008
    http://www.npr.org/2012/03/28/149521825/durable-goods-orders-rebound-in-february

I'm too lazy to look up more than one source but I've seen it reported even on right wing doom and gloom news just before they blame the president for when they stubbed their toe that morning...
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    We've been doing outsourcing for almost 9 years and we've never gotten as many requests as we are now. I'm seeing a huge upswing.

Some of that might be related to us being more well known these days and having a solid track record but there's no shortage of funds or projects in the games industry.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what's going to happen to the US in all honesty, is what happened to japan during the 1990's. little bit of growth for a while. But, you should always be looking out for those "doom" scenarios just in case, it's never bad to be too safe.

if you haven't noticed what's happening around the world is financial war, east vs west. BRICS nations vs EU//US. If the dollar gets a reserve currency competitor, it could mean hiper-inflation for the dollar and that's not good.

This is the reason gas prices are going up not because there's a lack of oil but because the dollar is loosing out as the world reserve currency, so it's loosing value.

[I don't want this to another (politics) thread that people complain about... so, i'll be on my way]
    :/
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    free to play mmos would flourish