Home General Discussion

Find out what studios pay for international workers in the States

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
http://www.h1bwage.com/

Check "employers" category, type in studio name (Blizzard, Pixar, etc.)

EDIT [studio name deleted], year 2011, 'Senior Production Artist" = $100,000

Found this link via somethingawful forum thread.
As for paid salaries... you can look up US based wage data based on alien work visas by studio and job position here:

http://www.h1bwage.com/

When a game studio or animation studio hires a foreign worker, the salary wage is public data, not tied to a name for privacy reasons but its' fairly accurate to get an idea of low/high ranges

Just punch in Sony Imageworks, lucasfilm, ilm, blizzard, dreamworks, pixar, disney etc. and you can see what comes up. Heck I found my wage in there and just figured out what my supervisor is making

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Whoa, that's pretty awesome. There is a big disparity between some companies too. I've heard of people making "Microsoft Money", but the difference between an Environment Artist at THQ (45k), Environment Artist at Naughty Dog (75k) and an Environment Artist at Microsoft (100k), is pretty staggering.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Very very handy, thanks for sharing :)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Let me get my calculator.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    ...and an Environment Artist at Microsoft (100k), is pretty staggering.

and seemingly unrealistic...
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I don't have firsthand knowledge to be able to confirm those numbers, but cost of living and experience requirements can vary widely between companies as well, and can justify the difference in numbers.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    d1ver wrote: »

nono.

It's very realistic.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I have friends in the US on H1b visas, but not in the game industry. How they explain to me is if a company finds in international candidate that they really want, they will tailor a job listing very closely to the skills of that person.

So it would be like environment artist with 2 years experience in "insert obscure tool here".

The more of this sort of stuff they do, the more likely that they show there aren't suitable candidates who are citizens, but as you tack these things on the salary must increase accordingly to avoid the perception of immigrants "working for peanuts".
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

100k? Not really, considering you have to pay something like $35k in taxes alone.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm guessing companies some companies mainly hire entry level peeps, and replace them with 'cheap' talent as soon as the pay-rise time comes to the keep the guru around, only they don't.

So these very same peeps go either Freelance or go to greener pastures, and get payed for their skill.

Don't get me wrong, 45K isn't chump change, it's very good by many standards.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    nono.

It's very realistic.

How come? I mean how it's economically feasible for them when you can have people working for half the price, just in a different location?
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    100k? Not really, considering you have to pay something like $35k in taxes alone.

Does US really have 35% income tax? I don't really know, but sounds more like Sweden to me.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    How come? I mean how it's economically feasible for them when you can have people working for half the price, just in a different location?

Skill? Seniority? Experience?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Sure, Jordan, I would think so too, but I thought we were talking about just "environment artists", not lead or senior or technical artist or anything.
    If it's in this broad range then yeah sure I totally get it.

Otherwise I have a hard time imagining someone with 100k worth of skill and experience still being just an "environment artist".
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I'm guessing companies some companies mainly hire entry level peeps, and replace them with 'cheap' talent as soon as the pay-rise time comes to the keep the guru around, only they don't.

So these very same peeps go either Freelance or go to greener pastures, and get payed for their skill.

Don't get me wrong, 45K isn't chump change, it's very good by many standards.
    I highly doubt they are hiring international entry level people. The Visa fees alone are in the area of $2000, plus whatever it costs to pay the lawyers handling this, plus relocation of that person.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    d1ver - i think it is as broad of a range.

H1B doesn't really care what your title within a company necessarily is, just that you were hired based on those particular skills.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Otherwise I have a hard time imagining someone with 100k worth of skill and experience still being just an "environment artist".

You can't possibly think all environment artists create the same quality art? And that someone who is just out of school has the same knowledge that someone who has been working for 5-10 years has?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15

At Naughty Dog we don't have the title of senior roles. Everyone, even the leads are just "Environment Artist" or "Texture Artist" and yet so many of the people here could be leads at other studios.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow wrote: »
    I highly doubt they are hiring international entry level people.

Well, there are international students studying at (and graduating from) US schools and getting hired by studios like Dreamworks.

But yeah, you still have to be good to get hired plus getting the visa.

It's cool to see too how much EA is paying it's contractors on an hourly basis. I haven't see data of artists getting paid hourly just coders, but surprisingly they're not stratospheric like you'd expect (I saw rates under $50/hr).
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    JordanW wrote: »
    You can't possibly think all environment artists create the same quality art? And that someone who is just out of school has the same knowledge that someone who has been working for 5-10 years has?

Absolutely not, man. But you have the naughty dog guys doing it for 75 for example and they are are in cali with a higher cost of living compared to most places. And they keep getting the "best graphics" awards with every release.
    Microsoft does not yet pays it's artists 25k more.
    For that amount of money they could afford the best of the best, but they are not that famous for their visuals. Seems weird.
    Autocon wrote: »
    At Naughty Dog we don't have the title of senior roles. Everyone, even the leads are just "Environment Artist" or "Texture Artist" and yet so many of the people here could be leads at other studios.

Great point albeit it gets pretty confusing trying to compare things objectively then:) and makes it even more weird that microsoft should pay 25k more, 'cause you don't see far superior art coming from them
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Well, there are international students studying at (and graduating from) US schools and getting hired by studios like Dreamworks.

But yeah, you still have to be good to get hired plus getting the visa.

After every degree achieved you get a year to work its called OPT (You get more if it is engineering or something). That is how most international people out of school that are very good will land a job. After that time, most will end up having to leave.

As far as immigration is concerned they only see experience and education, they don't see that one has a really good portfolio or is a better artist/programmer etc.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    As far as immigration is concerned they only see experience and education, they don't see that one has a really good portfolio or is a better artist/programmer etc.

Though there is a slight wiggle room for those who can knock one out of the park. Especially in DW kind of contests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_visa
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Though there is a slight wiggle room for those who can knock one out of the park. Especially in DW kind of contests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_visa

They mention Nobel Prize as an example of award, so I doubt DW qualifies.

Plus most videogame and film awards tend to be given to a studio as a collective, or an effects house, where the top brass usually takes credit anyway, which is the nature of the business.

It does beg the question as to what sort of award would qualify a game artist.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Great point albeit it gets pretty confusing trying to compare things objectively then:) and makes it even more weird that microsoft should pay 25k more, 'cause you don't see far superior art coming from them

Your logic is a bit half-baked here, you're making conclusions based on completely arbitrary assumptions and subjective views on quality.

What if the MS artist who makes 25% extra does the work in half the time? What if he has 10 years more experience? There are countless reasons for pay to vary, to sit and go "well project A looks better than project B so the artists on project A should be paid more".... it's just not how the world works.

Fact of the matter is you have nowhere near enough information to make any sort of statement on who should be paid what and how under/overpaid they are for their work.

Now, if we get some people on here from HR and Accounting at MS and Naughty dog, there would be an interesting discussion to be had.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Fact of the matter is you have nowhere near enough information to make any sort of statement on who should be paid what and how under/overpaid they are for their work..

Makes sense. The guy/gal who's now getting six figures was probably getting significantly less the previous year(s) in the same studio. But every year they're on h1 status their income is still added into the stats.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    This is a useful tool, but you want to look at averages, not singular points of data. If you want a good idea of what you'd make in X discipline in Y area, look up all the employers in the area and look at all of the positions, and don't forget to compare them to the Game Developer Salary Survey.

There are a lot of hard and soft reasons why a particular outlier might exist, and trying to guess why they are how they are is a waste of time.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    They mention Nobel Prize as an example of award, so I doubt DW qualifies.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fslipgatecentral.livejournal.com%2F30671.html&act=url
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Your logic is a bit half-baked here, you're making conclusions based on completely arbitrary assumptions and subjective views on quality.

What if the MS artist who makes 25% extra does the work in half the time? What if he has 10 years more experience? There are countless reasons for pay to vary, to sit and go "well project A looks better than project B so the artists on project A should be paid more".... it's just not how the world works.

Fact of the matter is you have nowhere near enough information to make any sort of statement on who should be paid what and how under/overpaid they are for their work.

Sure. We don't have that kind of information around here. And that is exactly why we can hold a half-baked discussion on the subject.)
    Tbh I didn't even check the actual figures on the website so I'm just working with what PredatorGSR said.
    And surely if we are talking about a single particular person who was hired for that kind of money I can easily imagine it so.
    I somehow assumed that we were talking about an averaged amount per company. No one said it was this way or the other, but it's probably the other so it must be my bad. I never meant to discuss why a particular person get payed this or that. That's definitely moot. Sorry.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator

Well it's cool to know that DW counts as that sort of thing :P I wonder how they keep track of stuff like that though, like what is legitimate and what isn't.