Home General Discussion

ZBrush

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
So it looks like ZBrush costs an arm and a leg. How does everyone have it? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I'll be honest. As far as most programs we use as 3D artists go, ZBrush is one of the average-cheaper programs. 3DS Max is what, $3,500 I think. It's mainly about managing your money. If you have any type of credit card I'd say save up enough to put half down ($350), buy the program pay that first half up front. Paying smaller monthly payments for 6 months would be about $60/month which isn't all that bad.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Blender has good sculpt tools.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Zbrush costs about the same as Mudbox and has had free updates for awhile. I don't think the upgrade to 5 will be free, but I think they have earned it.
  • encore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    encore polycounter lvl 5
    Without a doubt, it's a must have tool.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to know. Thanks for the info!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    $700? While they have bumped up over the years, it's still cheap when you think about the power it has, how well it has been integrated into the film and video game industries, and the way they continually market the product.

Blunt answer....

they accept all major debit/credit cards.

let's not go into pirating, but even so, the guys that make an awesome product with routinely impressive and innovative updates free of charge should not be pirated from IMHO.

if you wanna talk price points on software, go take a look at the stuff they use to model cars and trucks in the automotive industry and the cost of ZBrush will suddenly be as cheap as a candy bar next to a home mortgage.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Not to mention that around the time of major releases, they also run big sales...
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    don't they have student discounts now?
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
    You can always do competition. Most competition that are hold usually have 1 Zbrush license or a copy of the program. Only downside is that you're going up against millions of others.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a student, but the sales sound like they could be good times.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a bad idea ultra lord, I'm trying to learn how to make 3d right now though so I doubt I would win. I'm still trying to figure out how to render a model with it's polys showing.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    You got Sculptris if you just want to sculpt. It's free.

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

And then you got 3DCoat if you want something more feature rich. Its voxel sculpting technology is just as powerful and in some cases more powerful than zBrush's DynaMesh. It also has some of the best retopo, UV and texturing tools out there. It's also ridiculously easy to use unlike zBrush. It's not free though, but the student version is cheap as dirt and the free trial only locks out some file export and texturing options.

http://3d-coat.com/
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I bought mine from one of Pixologic's local resellers for $564.

That was a while ago but I would suggest checking out what they have to offer.

http://www.pixologic.com/resellers/

Either way if any software developer deserves our money as game artists its Pixologic, they're unrivaled in bringing us powerful tools and constant updates with huge improvements.

Pixologic=digital Santa; they Scoop out ma brains bits and stick em in an update. to my exclamation "it's just what I wanted, how did they know?!" lawlz.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    try to find a used copy..Zbrush lets you resell your seat..
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    low odor wrote: »

I was gonna say this too, you can find used copies of zbrush as well.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only issue is that many peeps resell it at 90% price tag or more, you might as well cut out the middle man, be a nice guy, pay an extra 60$ and support Pixo directly.

(Basically, don't be a dick)
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    imho sculptris will do the job to learn the basics. it's by far far faaaar the most user friendly sculpting app around as well.
    you can still decide to buy zbrush or mudbox later
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Zbrush is totally worth buying, they have an awesome track record with upgrades and not charging for them.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Only issue is that many peeps resell it at 90% price tag or more, you might as well cut out the middle man, be a nice guy, pay an extra 60$ and support Pixo directly.

(Basically, don't be a dick)

your face is a dick

it's not going to break pixologic...if it was a problem they would stop letting people transfer their used seats
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, but there is the school of thought that since Pixologic does tons of development on new features and seems to upgrade everyone for free to the new versions, the least you could do is buy your copy directly from them. More of a partnership that way, IMO.

Maximize their profit on the sale since it's likely the last time you'll be sending them money.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    So it looks like ZBrush costs an arm and a leg.
    I bought it for $500-550 at version 3.1, it's a full commercial license and every update has been free so far. That's probably the best deal I've gotten out of any commercial package.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plus, they have a good deal with their licensing that allows for installation on 2 machines - which is what you need to work at home and at the office.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your face is a dick

it's not going to break pixologic...if it was a problem they would stop letting people transfer their used seats

Haha, I didn't call you a dick mate, chill out, relax. Although seriously, between Dr. Cox and someone who is wearing a very Freudian mask, I would be the last dick looking-face in the world.

And my second point is be nice, why buy a resell at 90% of the original price, I mean that's what currently? 70$ at most you're saving? If you have the PC to run ZB, you have the 70$ you can scrounge up to it, it's the same debate as PC games and piracy. If you have the rig to run the latest hardware melting stuff, you honestly can't vouch for the 60-70$ bucks you're saving is 'good'.

On the other hand, if you save over 120$ from a reseller, be my guest, that's supranational enough for many peeps to be worth it.

Plus, with v5 around the not too long future, rating in with an extra price-tag for the upgrade, it future questions if you're actually saving any money at all.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You pay a fee to Pixelogic to transfer your license.