Home Technical Talk

Weapon Tri Count?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
I was wondering what Tri count could i use for stuff like guns for FPS and Third person Shooters. I was playing MW3 and the models look good and the game works on quite slow computers as well... so i was wondering what kinda Tri are they staying on for most of the stuff? thanks

Replies

• unstoppablex
    depends on the settings the game is set on, since they do use LOD models. MW3 in high settings, some guns range up to 10k tris
  • Chicken Dip
    Offline / Send Message
    lets say i wanna make a FPS/Third Person Shooter game using UDK... What is the MIN Tri count for a next gen game and the MAX tri count for a Next Gen game? i know it may be pretty obvious answers but i dont know them
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    well, will it be an FPS or a thirdperson shooter? that alone can make a difference..
  • Chicken Dip
    Offline / Send Message
    well you can switch between the two modes... i knw that for Third Person the Tri count goes down quite drastic no?
  • unstoppablex
    Yes it does. but switching between modes would most likely switch between 2 different meshes.

for firstperson view = 4k to 10k tris(this really depends on the gun)

for thirdperson view = 400 to 2k tris

since in first person shooters, the gun is always on the screen, and taking up 20-30% of the screen, these guns can be very high tris and will be acceptable for next-gen, maybe even a limit of 15k, but of course making a gun look amazing but with a tight limit will better show off your skill if this is for a portfolio.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ yeah. you could use the same mesh and optimize it for 3d person view, however it'd probably make more sense to build them separately - meaning you can adjust uv mapping for the FPV weapon (like giving the scope more texture space than the barrel) and delete tris that are off screen.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    You need to define next-gen at this point - do you mean 360/PS3 or do you mean PC/PS4/Xbox720 type specs?

In Red Faction Guerrilla and Red Faction Armageddon, the third person weapons were 2k-5k depending on size and complexity. In the case of RFA, they were shader-bound, not vert-bound (I'd imagine they were pretty even on RFG but we never had issues with any of them), because they have a cubic reflection map/mask, so I could have used more tris on most weapons, although there was an LOD-version of the assault rifle than the enemies use that cuts the reflection and the vert count, which winds up being much lower than the player's because that mesh was pushing 6k due to it being built early in pre-production.
  • Chicken Dip
    Offline / Send Message
    @unstoppablex: are those the recomended tris or what you suggest would work best?

@cptSwing: i will be useing UDK to make this game. so is it possible to create a copy of the weapon and use the in built mesh editor to lower the Tris?

@Ghostscape: Def PC maybe PS and Xbox, not sure at the moment because i am not much of a fan of console type games. Also not to sound like an absolute noob but could you repeat that in english? lol
    thanks
  • Visceral
    Exactly 4105 polys, no moore no less.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    yes you can make LOD's out of it.. but that defeats the purpose of having 2 separate meshes for 1st and 3d person view with different topology and texture space allocation
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    @unstoppablex: are those the recomended tris or what you suggest would work best?

@cptSwing: i will be useing UDK to make this game. so is it possible to create a copy of the weapon and use the in built mesh editor to lower the Tris?

@Ghostscape: Def PC maybe PS and Xbox, not sure at the moment because i am not much of a fan of console type games. Also not to sound like an absolute noob but could you repeat that in english? lol
    thanks

I was saying that the tri-count on the majority of weapons in RFA was not where the bulk of the cost was on them - it came from their complex shader, which used a gloss mask and reflection mask with cubic reflections to sell some materials, such as polished, sealed carbon fiber and metal.

If you're targetting high-end PC/next-gen consoles, and not the current crop of consoles, you pretty much have the sky as the limit as far as I can tell. I see no reason why 30k of properly used triangles would not be OK for an FPS, the hardware can certainly support it.
  • zakhar2
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Visceral wrote: »
    Exactly 4105 polys, no moore no less.
    Thats only on a full moon though. Any other time you could probably double that.
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    zakhar2 wrote: »
    Thats only on a full moon though. Any other time you could probably double that.

Aren't there special rules that apply on a Thursday too?
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    are you mad? no modeling on a thursday!