Home Technical Talk

How do I normal map with overlapping UVs and fix artifacts?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Hello, I was trying to do a contest entry for DS2 but it appears that it is too late now to get everything done right. However, I still want to learn how to correct this problem I am having.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1552624&postcount=2

When I mirrored geometry, I encountered an issue where there was a hard edge where I did the mirror and so I tried to simply average normals. I think that was a mistake though as it now looks too soft in some areas and also creates a dark shadow around the sides too. I believe this is what caused those weird spots on my normal map. How can I fix this problem? Thanks.

Replies

• 1tch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1tch polycounter lvl 8
    You're not supposed to bake maps w/ overlapping UVs. You would need to bake first and then mirror. OR if you had already mirrored, select half your model and move then exactly 1 unit over outside 0/1, then bake, and move half your model back over to overlap.
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I realized that, which is why I did this. But it doesn't do anything to get rid of the weird spots I'm having, nor get rid of those "facets".
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1tch wrote: »
    You're not supposed to bake maps w/ overlapping UVs. You would need to bake first and then mirror. OR if you had already mirrored, select half your model and move then exactly 1 unit over outside 0/1, then bake, and move half your model back over to overlap.

Do not bake first and then mirror, always simply offset the uvs. Baking first and then editing the geometry in any way can effect your lowpoly mesh normals and cause smoothing errors or seams.

OP: The weird stuff in your maps are from ray trace errors, either your ray distance is too large or too small.

What are you baking in?
    Using a cage or a simple ray distance?

Also you need to re-bake after offsetting your uvs.
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    I baked using the default Mudbox normal map settings. I know there is a problem with the low poly which is why the high poly has issues too. I loaded the obj into Marmoset and it also displays weird shadows. How do I fix this in Maya?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try baking in maya, I wouldn't recommend baking mudbox or zbrush. Xnormal at the very least.
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    I still get pretty bad results, dark shadowy places around edges that I don't want. Maybe it's because when I upped the levels for the high-poly, it smoothed the teeth and spikes too much that it shrunk them smaller than the low-poly version?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Images of the problem would help.

What have you done? Where are you baking now? What settings have you changed? Saying "still" without any reference to what you've done isnt very helpful.

In general, you want your lowpoly to match your highpoly as close as possible, so if the high is significantly larger or smaller than the low, you should edit the low.