Home Technical Talk

Worn wood textures

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
I found this awesome worn metal tutorial where the artist briefly touched on making the wood look worn; it taught me quite a bit but I'm hoping there are more tutorials to supplement his. I'm working on a project that has a tremendous amount of wood assets.

Replies

• DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Tutorials for texturing kind of teach you backwards. Trying to learn X material should be setup up in so and so fashion. You end up with only the how and not the why, which is far more important.

If you have to ask your self 'how how do I get my material to look like X', then you probably don't really understand what diffuse/specular/gloss/etc is and why it occurs.

Having the fundamental's princples will let you make anything, not just X kind of wood or X kind of metal.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, I can get behind that logic but it doesn't help me too much in this case. If there's a break down of how and why wood wears X way and so on, that would help me out as well. And no, I don't understand diffuse/specular/gloss as it is applied to woods nearly as well as I do other surfaces.
  • Scruples
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I found this awesome worn metal tutorial where the artist briefly touched on making the wood look worn; it taught me quite a bit but I'm hoping there are more tutorials to supplement his. I'm working on a project that has a tremendous amount of wood assets.
    I always feel a little bad when people reference that tutorial, I don't think I was a very good texture artist at the time I did it, but I'm glad it was helpful in some way :\

to figure out how to go about texturing old wood (or any other material you do) you should probably start by figuring out roughly what type of wood you're going for and getting as much reference as you can. the reference is pretty much your roadmap to assembling the material

501815_old_wood.jpg

antique-wood-flooring-2.jpg

you're basically analyzing the way stuff looks when not throwing a specular for your diffuse, and how it looks when it is reflecting a specular for your specular. if you're using a gloss map then you're looking for the tightness of that specular, especially if it changes across materials, surfaces, or details. once you know exactly how the real thing looks, actually making the texture is just a mechanical series of steps to replicate it, really
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always feel a little bad when people reference that tutorial, I don't think I was a very good texture artist at the time I did it, but I'm glad it was helpful in some way :\

you're basically analyzing the way stuff looks when not throwing a specular for your diffuse, and how it looks when it is reflecting a specular for your specular. if you're using a gloss map then you're looking for the tightness of that specular, especially if it changes across materials, surfaces, or details. once you know exactly how the real thing looks, actually making the texture is just a mechanical series of steps to replicate it, really

I guess that is the way of the world though, where I was two three years ago and (thankfully) not where I am today.

Thanks dude. I'm working on a church scene and I want to nail down the wear of the pews. Looking at the reference, it's very splotchy wood and the lighter parts of the wear seem to be broken down into shapes that are very streaky on a horizontal axis, but damn am I having a tough time recreating that effect. This is where I'm getting pretty stuck. :/

4iNrV.jpg
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Use the wood grain as a mask for your 'worn areas' layer. Wear and tear will tend to follow the wood grain.