Home Technical Talk

Maya/MudBox/UDK Normal Map Workflow Question

Quick description of what I'm trying to do:

Make a low res model in Maya (literally a box). Take it into Mudbox for sculpting and normals baking. Bring model and map into UDK.

The problem is I can't figure out why when I apply the map it looks good except that it appears zoomed in on the face of the mesh box. The same issue occurs when I use the map in Maya, it zooms in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I hope I'm posting this in the right place if not I apologize, just started posting this morning and wanting to do it right.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    zoomed in..? you mean its looking inverted...?
    have you baked the normalmap for max..? they look different...
    there is a setting for in the bake settings...
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apeears zoomed in? Not really sure what you mean. If you post some pictures of the problem it'll help.
  • mcmillanm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made sure to bake it for Maya and by "zoomed in" I guess what I mean is it looks like a small portion of the whole map has been blown up to cover the side of the box the whole map should be covering.

As for pictures I will have some up as soon as I can.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just sounds like your UV's on the low poly are messed up.
  • mcmillanm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I'm not sure where to put my photos online so I can link them but in the mean time I checked the UV's and none of them are overlapping. I don't know if it would make a difference but I used automatic mapping then move/sew to put it all back together again before going into Mudbox.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    tinypic.com, upload the images there and then copy the direct link for use in here.

Also, like someone else said, its most likely your UVs. Are you familiar with how UVs work?

Furthermore I would recommend using xNormal for generating normal maps. Its free!

Advised workflow (mesh--> sculpt --> export ---> Low Poly UV'ed ---> plug in high poly mesh and low poly UVed mesh into xNormal to generate normal map ---> apply normal map on low poly in 3d application.

You can also directly make a sculpt then retopologize and UV it as well.
  • mcmillanm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I have tried everything under the sun to set up a photobucket/tinypic account and it just won't let me. I tried using two emails and my facebook and it just isn't happening. I appreciate everyone's advice and I'll keep trying but for the time being I can't provide any pics of my problem so I don't know what to do :(
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    mcmillanm wrote: »
    Okay I have tried everything under the sun to set up a photobucket/tinypic account and it just won't let me. I tried using two emails and my facebook and it just isn't happening. I appreciate everyone's advice and I'll keep trying but for the time being I can't provide any pics of my problem so I don't know what to do :(

....you dont need to make an account.

I never thought I would have to do this but...here is a TinyPic Guide!

1. Upload
    2. Enter Security Check
    3. Copy URL
    4. Paste into Post

2ahtatl.jpg

Again your problem is most likely due to UVs.