Home General Discussion

Unreal Engine 4

Replies

• Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    The same can be said for any new tech, but it isn't all that relevent to a thread that's all about speculating what is in the new UE4.

Plus everyone one knows that UE4 will have a 'Make-Beautiful-Art' Button.
    DUH, it's just common sense. :poly124:
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    He's not saying that's a problem.. He's saying that because everybody is so gung ho about the new advancements in technology, they're not gonna be thinking about optimization and not focus detail where it's needed. I'm going to assume that most of these games probably aren't going to have uber different budgets (some will, most probably won't), so detail is still going to need to be placed strategically (just like it is now)...

Developers will often go "we haven't used all of the power in the 360/ps3 yet" which always translates to "there are more ways to optimize our stuff"

New games will utilize all the hardware of the new onsoles, but will most likely utilize that freedom for speedy art and large textures everywhere, later games will start optimizing everything and achieve a higher fidelity.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Not only optimization, new techniques like deffered rendering came along half way through the life cycle and added ~4x more polygons and a TON more lights on screen + cool postprocessing.
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Asset-focus aside,as Computron pointed out earlier what I am looking forward to are advances in lighting and shading from a fidelity perspective. Sure it would be nice to make our assets look better, but assets look pretty damn nice already (in general).

More accurate and physically-based lighting & shading solutions have the potential to make current-gen assets look jaw-dropping....and that's what they are really looking for from this engine and the next-generation. Second to that are things like pushing the frontier for Compute Shaders (relatively untapped so far), and pushing the state-of-the-art from an animation/ai/motion perspective. I'm also speculating seeing better/more deeply integrated middleware like Nvidia's Apex stuff, as well as more impressive/filmic post-processing.

These are things that can potentially have a big impact on the overall visual experience. You could take a game like Gears of War 3, double the resolution of everything and most people would have a hard time noticing what is different, right?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Its pretty easy on to tell if a game is rendering at 720 or 1080, but it doesn't make as much of a difference as other settings, I don't think there's a reason to have a game on the ipad 3 render at the full resolution, besides from the gui.

I'd like to see accurate AO (screen based), not ao layed over everything
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I want to see more real-time (per pixel) lighting, with some decent lighting models for a broad array of material types. I'm not sure we're going to get that in the next-generation however.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    I have seen articles on Voxels and light cones actually I have seen all this stuff that was in the video but for some reason it just clicked what was happening. before I wrote it off as programmer mumbo jumbo, lol I just didn't understand it. I can't wait for unreal 4