Home General Discussion

Newcomer to 3d here need help.

wizalconz
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
wizalconz polycounter lvl 6
sorry if im posting in the wrong section but i cant seem to find any forum subsections for requesting for help. i am working on a sword sheath and i have some problems with turbosmooth pinching my model. i checked , theres no ngons, quads and tris only, i did place additional edges to "harden" the edge so i really have no idea what im doing wrong and how to fix my problem. Any pros here care to enlighten me? Pics below.

unsmoothed

Capture1.jpg
Capture.jpg

turbosmoothed

Capture2.jpg
Capture3.jpg

when rendered

Capture4.jpg

thanks in advance and sorry about my english, im not a native speaker so hopefully, u guys can understand what i am trying to say

Replies

• Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43
    A subforum called technical talk.

As for your sword sheath, it's really hard to tell what shape you WANT it to be. I don't see pinching but if it's the stretching back you're talking about you need to add supporting edges.

0evmi.png

Mainly the red line, if you're also looking for sharper edges for the other planes the green and blue lines would also be relevant.

Not sure what shape you're going for though. I also see you've got a lot of triangles and sharp corners without supporting edges in the biggest picture. Triangles and ngons do not ALWAYS cause problems, but there can be weird pinching and smoothing in those areas.

edit: you could also add another supporting edge to the right of what you have now. I don't know if it's a bevel you've modeled in or if it is supporting edges.
    If it's a small bevel you generally don't have to model it in, but let the smoothing take care of that.
  • wizalconz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizalconz polycounter lvl 6
    Noodle! wrote: »
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43
    A subforum called technical talk.

As for your sword sheath, it's really hard to tell what shape you WANT it to be. I don't see pinching but if it's the stretching back you're talking about you need to add supporting edges.

0evmi.png

Mainly the red line, if you're also looking for sharper edges for the other planes the green and blue lines would also be relevant.

Not sure what shape you're going for though. I also see you've got a lot of triangles and sharp corners without supporting edges in the biggest picture. Triangles and ngons do not ALWAYS cause problems, but there can be weird pinching and smoothing in those areas.

edit: you could also add another supporting edge to the right of what you have now. I don't know if it's a bevel you've modeled in or if it is supporting edges.
    If it's a small bevel you generally don't have to model it in, but let the smoothing take care of that.

THANKS! oh thats not called pinching? sorry , still learning the technical terms. supporting edge? okay will look up on it! Sorry i thought the technical-talk subsection was only for inbuilt languages like maxscripts etc. Thanks~