Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

One Piece anime character:Luffy sculpt

Hey guys, I started this in 3ds max and then later sculpted it in ZBrush. Since it's an anime character I had to try my best to make it look more 3d friendly. I plan to texture this and give it some hair. Would gladly appreciate some helpful critiques to improve it. thanks:)

update_wholepictureLuffy.jpg

here's some references I used

73149-ruffy_toei_1_jpg.jpg
screen_grabluffy.jpg

Replies

• Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    personaly I think his face is too wide. Bigger hands, bigger feet, narrower shoulders, I would stay truer to the references, especialy the first one & sculpt some gravity on his shorts.

also, what are you trying to do? Is your end goal to be a video game artist? Hobbyist? focus on high poly?
  • hydro_jin
    Thanks RJ, i'll try to get that done and to answer your other question i'm aiming to be a video game artist. I really need more practice lol
  • hydro_jin
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Make the forehead longer and the jaw (side profile) line more curved to be accurate to the drawing I reckon and also the sleeves should (from the toy reference) be shorter, just past elbow length.
  • hydro_jin
    thanks MrNinjutsu, i didn't notice the sleeve thing till now, also not sure if i'm doing a good job on the folds on the jeans. That's something i'm trying to fix
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 14
    Cool! I've never watched this anime but I kinda like the style anyway, it's not like other animes. I think what you've currently got is something in between realistic and this particular style which makes your model less appealing. You should fully go for the style BUT make sure you've got the anatomy right. Focus on getting the right proportions, the torso is a bit too wide and he seems too short compared to the pictures you've linked. I think his face is a bit too big for the head too and the back of his skull is a bit misshapen. See this;
    how-to-draw-a-skull-0000.jpg

The back end of his feet is too small as well. Keep going for the anime version and don't trail off to something else(I'm guilty of doing this myself many times before). Great stuff!
  • hydro_jin
    Thank you Goraaz that was very helpful and now I know what to do for future models. I fixed everything that was pointed out and I think I'm just about ready to texture it after a few minor tweaks. I do believe I got it to look a lot like the actual reference.luffyfacelift_update.jpg
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I hope your model stretches :D Looks pretty spot on but the head shape still doesn't seem right to me. Still a bit too fat and not long enough but you're getting there.
  • hydro_jin
    haha yeah I'll try to rig it to be able to stretch like he does in the anime. The head is turning out to be the most trickiest part of this model but i'll still tinker around with it. Thanks Habboi i'll have a close up view of the face for my next post
  • hydro_jin
    Hey guys! I'm still new to texturing characters, i'm more of a modeler and sculptor but i'm trying to get better at texturing...-_-. I really wish i could have used Mental Ray's ss skin shader to help make the skin look a lot more realistic but I'm creating a video game character so I doubt that video games use shaders. I'm still messing with the hair, i' m not sure if I'll add an alpha channel to them or not but I might add some texture them. Let me know what you guys think so far.

P.S. does anyone know if there's a better renderer for characters then mentalray? . Thanks

luffy_test_color.jpg
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    are you texturing your hp model? why render?
  • hydro_jin
    sorry, what do you mean by "HP"?
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    hp = "high poly"
  • hydro_jin
    oh haha, yes i'm texturing the hp model
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    A 'better' renderer than mental ray may not be what you want. If this is a game character you want to present it in real-time such as UDK, Cryengine or Marmoset toolbag.

And yes there are some skin shaders floating around, video games do indeed use lots of different shaders thats why there are technical artists, they makes all those crazy shaders.

Just my personal opinion but I think realistic skin is the last thing you should put on him, he's an anime character afterall. With realistic skin and SSS he would look pretty creepy with his big eyes and odd anatomy if you ask me
  • hydro_jin
    Thanks for the info Sukotto, very interesting stuff. I'll play around with some of the engines, something I need to get into. Also I think i'll try using the xoliul shader, i heard they have a team fortress 2 shader