Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stem Cell Dispenser Environment Asset

hey guys, so I just started working on a new asset for a school project, and I decided to do a sci-fi Stem cell Dispenser. I'm still adding details and gathering more references to different parts and details I will add to the model. any critique and advice is more than welcome!

I know I'm still in the beginning stages, but this is what I have so far!

renders.jpg

I'm also creating a module floor pannel for the Stem Cell Dispenser.
Here is the high poly and low poly

renders_walkway.jpg

and my the light source for my machine will be coming from these pillars.

renders_pilliar.jpg

anyways, look forward to hearing back from you everyone!
:)

Replies

• Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarankan polycounter lvl 6
    nice start, it would be useful if you posted the concept too? or refs or something so we know what the end visual target is (roughly)but other than that cant wait to see some more updates:)
  • dragan01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey so i haven't been updating this thread for awhile, but i thought i might just try to post some of the concepts and references so you can get an idea of which direction i'm going.
    Hopefully this helps!

SCAN0002.jpg

and some references:

Vita-Chamber.png

fetus.jpg

Human_Test_Tube_by_CDB_ART.jpg

sewingmachinewg.jpg
  • dragan01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what I have for my scene so far before i start baking my normals onto my low polys. =]
    I also decided to remove the Old light pillars I had before because it started to get too busy.

render-1.jpg
  • -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For high poly floor u might wanna smooth out the edges a little,just for the sake of nicer bake. Otherwise nice design,looking forward to the fetus :D
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    So just wondering... why are you doing what your doing ? and what goals did you have with this project ? and are you still brainstorming ideas ?
  • dragan01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this was an assignment for school, and the criteria was to create an asset that is some sort of sci fi depensing machine. What Im trying to accomplish is create a great looking asset, using some new techniques I learned when it comes to texturing using tiling textures rather then unique textures for the asset. :). I'm still working on more ideas, but it's more for the textures and lighting im going to use :)
  • dragan01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe - thanks man, I'll make sure to fix all the smoothing groups before I start my bake :)
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, kind of reminds me of something from Bio Shock... oh no now I will have "come back when you got some money buddy" stuck in my head all night :)

If I were doing the tube I would not just have cracks in the glass but maybe a bit of dust and grime. However not really sure what your brief is so count this as a preference rather than a crit or anything lol.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    I would suggest finish brainstorming ALL of your ideas that are on ur mind, then make plans on how to build your asset. Then make your asset. Your gonna waste alot of time trying to make a final product w/o a real goal or successful outcome.
  • dragan01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 - Yeah, i'm modding couple things because of some new ideas i thought of. I ran into one major problem though. I tried baking while stacking things ontop of each other, but because I did this, there is a major shading issue that came up. I really Don't know how to get past this, so i'm hoping someone can help me figure this out! =[!

WTF.jpg
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    When you stacked everything on top did you leave them stacked when you baked?

If the UV's are still on top of one another in the 1,1 UV space (the bounding box you pack into) it can cause errors

The way to fix this is to
    1. select all but one of the overlapping UV's
    2. click the button in the lower left corner of the UV window (it looks like a crosshair)
    3. and type in 1 for the U value next to it.. and hit enter
    4. Click the crosshair button again so you don't accidentally start offsetting things by smaller numbers by scrolling with your mouse.

This will offset your UVs by 1 UV square keeping them in the exact same location on the map but out of bounds for when Max calculates the normal baking.

If you already did this I'm not sure what might be causing that error.
  • dragan01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xelan101 - Originally it was all stacked on top of each other, but unfortunately even with your method it still didn't have an effect. It's having the same issues with other objects i'm baking as well now.
    I tried to rebake the normals from my highpoly as well but it's still coming out the same results.
    Thanks a lot for the response though! :). hopefully i can get this figured out.
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure your smoothing groups are correct and also your UVWs are way too close to each other which will have your normals bleed over other areas, give them some padding. And make sure what you're baking isn't inverted