Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Multi, 9thKnight

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Nolt polycounter lvl 13
Alright I'm a little late getting into this but what the heck :\. I'm not entirely sure what kind of weapon I want to do but here are some silhouettes and a couple that I liked and fleshed out a bit more.

weapon_concepts_by_9thknight-d4s64w8.jpg

Any suggestions, direction, or comments would be much appreciated! I need to get started on the 3D since I'm a little late in the game.

Replies

• Stoop_Kid
    I'm liking your steps so far! I feel the strongest is the blue colored one on the in the bottom right hand corner, mostly because of the asymmetry. Asymmetry was a problem I feel I was having myself.

I think one of the things to address is it doesn't particularly come off as Darksiders style. Looking back at the provided images, there were a whole bunch of crazy, elaborate, and gnarly shapes which really make the weapon stand out. So I think you could definitely take the design and boost it that way. Try looking at some of the references and see if any ideas from there are helpful.

I'm looking forward to the 3D version; you're definitely taking a different direction from the conventional pieces everyone's been making, which could be cool! Aside from that, let's go AiP! :D *cheers*
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the input. I'm working on a couple different ways to fit it more into the Darksiders style. I didn't spend any time coloring this (obviously) since I'm a bit late in the game I need to get moving onto the 3D. But I'm sure the concept will be changing some once I get it into Zbrush. Again thanks for the help :D
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Decided to go with the creepy eyeball axe. Here's my ZBrush progress thus far. Will be finishing this up within the next day or two so I can start on the low poly. Busy week. Any comments, suggestions, help or whatever is always appreciated!

axe_wip_by_9thknight-d4sorml.jpg
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Here's where I currently am with my sculpt and I think I may be sticking with it. If anyone has any other critiques or suggestions for it, that would be great. If not, ON TO THE LOW POLY!

axe_wip_2_by_9thknight-d4ss84r.jpg
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I like the feel of the weapon, but I feel like the fleshy part of the weapon is a bit too blobby & busy. It's hard to find anywhere for the eye to rest. What if you tried to make the flesh more taut across the head of the weapon? Having the flesh gather around the teeth and eye make sense, but the rest could look cooler if it looked stretched I think. Also, I think the side blades could be more refined, it's hard to tell what they are made of/the difference between them and the flesh.

Also, maybe use a different matcap to show the details and separation a bit more clear.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks! I feel that would really bring it out better. I was having a bit of trouble feeling how I wanted to distinguish the eye and flesh a bit more. The taut look should solve all of that. I think roughing in some color or at least just a couple different shaders on the zBrush model would help show/define a couple of the different regions of the axe.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    New WIP on the axe. Here's where I think I'm going to have to leave it if I want to get this thing done on time. Darn job. . . :P If there are any comments or suggestions, they're always appreciated. Thanks!

axe_wip_3_by_9thknight-d4sw2iw.jpg
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Muuuuuuch better, a lot clearer, both in presentation as well as what material is what. You could probably go through and give another pass to the stone borders and the teeth, but like you said, not too much time left so it's your call. Good progress though!
  • glenatron
    Offline / Send Message
    glenatron polycounter lvl 11
    That's looking awesome! The crisper edges really help a lot. I'd suggest some chunkier damage to the blades, but other than that, it's looking top-notch.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys. If I'll get started on retopping it but if I have a little time, I might be able to make a couple tweaks!
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Here's some more progress. Now have the low poly done. 1386 tris. Not sure how I feel about it. If anyone has any ideas where I could trim a couple more or if you think it may not project the normals right, let me know so I can get this fixed. I'm really enjoying this project :D

axe_wip_4_by_9thknight-d4tbkel.jpg
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I'm doing some color testing. Not entirely sure how I'm liking this. I'm also wanting to add in a glow map but now sure what to do with it. I'm thinking some glow between the flesh and the metal/bone.

axe_wip_5_by_9thknight-d4tizss.jpg
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    More progress. Will be tweaking until Monday :P. 1382 tris

axe_wip_6_by_9thknight-d4tpx9v.jpg
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13