Home General Discussion

Gentlemen, I give you HALO 4

Replies

• PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    IMO the Halo series just gets better and better, more fun and more fun! Can't wait for Halo 4!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    MASSIVE 5120x2880 PICTURES:

i5LwYzgApuPak.jpg

iu8ze8b8S3Ccd.jpg

DAT HARDSURFASS:

610x.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    model/high-poly bake looks nice but some of that texture work is terrible, atleast i know what im re-modeling on the weekend :P

where did you get the images btw?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    why release such a large screenshot? It wasn't even designed to be viewed that closeup, someone on the marketing team needs to be bopped with a rolled up newspaper.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why release such a large screenshot? It wasn't even designed to be viewed that closeup, someone on the marketing team needs to be bopped with a rolled up newspaper.

I don't get it. Y u mad for? Just don't zoom in.

I thought it was awesome. MOAR RES PLEASE.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Looks like someone in marketing published images meant for printing and not for the web :P
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Really hoping thats a lower quality world model, because thats pretty gosh darn low res?

Maybe its just me, but the pixel density seems a tad random as well...? hmm, quite odd. Likely won't look too bad at normal screen res, but you would think given the flack they got for some piss poor effort in past Halo's they would go balls out for the view weapons and not just present stuff like this. Even Reach seemed to be higher quality...?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Science:

The resolution is perfectly fine, I don't think it'll even be possible to see all the pixels when this thing hits the 720p screen.
    The pixel density seems a bit higher where you'd see it from a first person perspective, which makes sense as that's where you'll want detail without having to blow up the texture completely.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    I don't get it. Y u mad for? Just don't zoom in.

I thought it was awesome. MOAR RES PLEASE.

I think the point is that the model doesn't stand up to that kind of resolution - so why release a shot that large? It doesn't do the art any favors.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    odium wrote: »
    Really hoping thats a lower quality world model, because thats pretty gosh darn low res?

Maybe its just me, but the pixel density seems a tad random as well...?

+1, but they're never getting as close as the pic did.

unzoomed the res looks fantastic LOL
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    That ochre stripe doesn't do the artwork any favours.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the normal map in this shot is much bigger than it will be in game. It also makes sense why the diffuse doesn't match, you can bake normals at any resolution, but try authoring Diffuse that high.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I don't - look at the screws with the image maximised, the normal map looks game-resolution to me.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    my 2 cents opinion:
    I love the Halo series and that's what makes this sting so bad, but this doesn't look good to me at all. I was really anticipating/hoping 343 would have taken artistic risks and pushed the art style further. Instead, It just looks like more of the same. The surfacing is complicated and interesting but it reads as overly projected normal mapped plating. (which falls apart up close) And given the 360 power, the lighting could have gone so much further. Looking at Gears by comparison, Halo 4 lacks.

Hopefully it's still being polished and the best is yet to come.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Guys. Relax. All you see is a few screenshots (which look amazing) and people seem to be hopping on the hate bandwagon instantly. The size of that gun screenshot is HUGE. You'll never, ever see it that big. Remember, the game runs at 720p. Texture density seems fine for a gun being used in an FPS. The stock is sharper, the barrel isn't as sharp. Makes sense.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    eh. just focus on the campaign more i say.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Guys. Relax. All you see is a few screenshots (which look amazing) and people seem to be hopping on the hate bandwagon instantly. The size of that gun screenshot is HUGE. You'll never, ever see it that big. Remember, the game runs at 720p. Texture density seems fine for a gun being used in an FPS. The stock is sharper, the barrel isn't as sharp. Makes sense.

people critiquing art in an art forum weird :S

but i do agree the images are blown up way to big compared to what they will look like in game but do you see those scratches why even make them if your gonna do it like that!
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    ae. wrote: »
    people critiquing art in an art forum weird :S

inorite?

Definitely a ridiculous size pic for the texel density going on there. Confuzzling.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Guys. Relax.

PIXEL DENSITY DISPARITY, CANCELLING PRE-ORDER, SENDING DEATH THREATS TO 353 STAFF NOW :poly127:
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe its just me, and I'm sure I'll be in a minority here (and usually am), but... In a first person game, you spend 90%+ of the time looking at the screen in first person. The hands, weapons etc, they all end up being a more vital part than even the character themselves in many ways. To me, you can tell a LOT of character from a weapon on the screen, so I find it odd that such a lack of effort has been put into an asset that, from what they keep harping on about, is a fan fave big deal type gun that most people will look at more than anything else... It just seems strange to me that theres been hardly any effort here.

That is, in my eyes, a third person weapon. No more. If my character was running around on screen, with that held, I could see that quality holding up. But from a first person perspective? Its just naff... The texel density is off. The surface definition is all over the shop and bland. The spec map is cheap. The weapon has no detail, its uber low poly...

It just seems like a rush job.

Now would I have picked these points up if this pic hadn't been released? Likely not, not until I played the game. But thats not really the point... The point is that Halo has ALWAYS suffered with sub-par view weapon models, and I find it shocking that even now, we have these really last gen looking models for something that takes up a quater of the screen that you see pretty much all the time...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Man, this is going to look horrible on 2880p TV's
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe those pics were destined to be resized, who knows.

As long as we're bashing things. . .
    One thing that caught my attention was the slotted head screws on a 24th? centuryweapon. C'mon guys, this is a modern gun by todays standards. No slotted heads here.

gw-1112-scar-pic-6.jpg
    FN_SCAR-L_%28Standard%29.jpg

I'd expect a future rifle to likely not need a tool to strip, and at the very least, use something that looks more future-tech than what's around today. Slotted heads look incredibly out of place.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wonder if the artist that made the gun is lurking this thread, saying "man... fuck u guys!" lol
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wonder if the artist that made the gun is lurking this thread, saying "man... fuck u guys!" lol

hehe. Possibly. :P If one's art is on polycount and one is also on polycount, then one really should develop some skin. Or flounder in the the sea of mediocrity. :D

(or simply be so awesome that one does not even get critiques from the likes of polycount).
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, "there's no crying on polycount"
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug wrote: »
    Maybe those pics were destined to be resized, who knows.

As long as we're bashing things. . .
    One thing that caught my attention was the slotted head screws on a 24th? centuryweapon. C'mon guys, this is a modern gun by todays standards. No slotted heads here.

I'd expect a future rifle to likely not need a tool to strip, and at the very least, use something that looks more future-tech than what's around today. Slotted heads look incredibly out of place.

While I certainly agree with you that the design doesn't look very 24th cen (or 21st for that matter), I think the idea behind it is to use more current design elements to tie into the real world and make for a more believable weapon, not to mention the kinda obvious Aliens references to the overall art direction. The goal with the design is for the average gamer to see it, know what it is, and believe it can work.

As far as the artist lurking and crying, I think he's more likely waiting with steepled fingers for certain peopls resume's to cross his desk.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I just want to know if you can pilot this:

HaloMech.jpg

They've said the multiplayer maps aren't recycled from the campaign though, so I wonder if it will be in the story.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    343 said you wont be able to pilot that, but they will have a pilot-able vehicle that "dwarfs" it.

The return of the Elephant?

I prefer Giraffes... lol
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While I certainly agree with you that the design doesn't look very 24th cen (or 21st for that matter), I think the idea behind it is to use more current design elements to tie into the real world and make for a more believable weapon, not to mention the kinda obvious Aliens references to the overall art direction. The goal with the design is for the average gamer to see it, know what it is, and believe it can work.

As far as the artist lurking and crying, I think he's more likely waiting with steepled fingers for certain peopls resume's to cross his desk.

Could very well be. I think that's why it's important to separate fanboyish bashing, from reasonable opinion and critique. Seriously, if someone is creating art AND on polycount, but can't handle any form of opinion or critique, AND happens to be in a management position, the work environment they lead probably sucks. I wouldn't want to be in any environment where people were afraid to give each other civil and honest critiques and opinions for fear of being fired.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    The armor design of the Halo 4 MC is just awful, the shoulders are beyond helping as well. This game looks like design wise (character) it's going to be trash. I love Halo, but I cannot stand this, has anyone seen what they did with the Grunts? Fucking sharks...
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haters gon' hate.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod

Either that or saying "I agree, but it's what my AD wanted".
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or... they could push the release date back and make you overly anal jacktards happy? I'm sure that's great for publisher/studio/fan relations.

Artist: "OH WAIT stop the presses I sense, someone on a message board is not happy"
    Marketing: "You know what washes that down?"
    Artist: "Whiskey?"
    Marketing: "I was going to say scotch but whiskey works too."
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Haters gon' hate.

That phrase is overused, use something different.

I don't like the develpoment of this Halo, and i'm not a hater, and i think they will trash all what bungie did, like other studio did with Dungeon Siege 3 (TRASH GAME).

the new halo have huge expectations, so it's pretty easy to fail and not please all the fans. If they make something quite different, they will kill all what Halo means.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhm, no?
    IF they make a bad game, which is a pretty big jump based on some early screenshots and your own dislike of the new art direction, then the only thing they'll have done is made a bad game. It might mean a delay for Halo 5 and a change-up of the team working on it, but saying 1 bad game would kill the franchise is just silly.
    Even forgetting the spin-off titles (Wars, ODST, Reach) the 3 original games are still extremely popular and more than enough to keep people coming back for more.

Dragon Age 2 didn't kill Dragon Age, Prince of Persia 08 didn't kill Prince of Persia, Joel Schumacher didn't kill Batman and Micheal Bay didn't kill Transformers.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    That phrase is overused, use something different.

I don't like the develpoment of this Halo, and i'm not a hater, and i think they will trash all what bungie did, like other studio did with Dungeon Siege 3 (TRASH GAME).
    Thing is, 343 industries is, well, Bungie. 343 has almost all of Bungies old employees.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I just want to know if you can pilot this:

HaloMech.jpg

They've said the multiplayer maps aren't recycled from the campaign though, so I wonder if it will be in the story.

RRHMETAL GEEEARRH?!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Thing is, 343 industries is, well, Bungie. 343 has almost all of Bungies old employees.

blah blah, it's not the same team and we all know that. The team that made diablo 1 was not the same that the team that made diablo 2, and with diablo 3... cough cough.

The may have some old empoyees from bungie, but thing is that this fact doesn't mean anything. Look what happened with infinity ward. They may have success or not, and a fact is that i don't like what i have seen like too many others, give or take.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    How do you not like what you've seen, it has the nostalgic feel of halo with all sorts of new stuff in the mix, it stomps halo reach into the mud and then some and it's not even out yet, 343i did good with what they did for anniversary and they're going to do good with Halo 4, same team or not if you're a big enough fan and you have a large enough group of fans coming together to work on it then they know what works and what doesnt, what made halo good and what didnt, they're going to do great, they have my full support
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    We all know that different teams working on different titles of a franchise is always going to fail, I mean look at the Diablo series, wait whoops.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Frankie, the CM, put it eloquently.

Everyone who works at 343 works their because they love HALO and want to make specifically HALO a better series.
    Not even everyone who worked on Halo at Bungie can say that, according to Frankie. Bungie was making RTS games before Halo.

Also helps that they are all from AAA studios and half of them are from Bungie directly.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    dpaynter26 wrote: »
    343i did good with what they did for anniversary and they're going to do good with Halo 4

FYI, 343i didn't do any "creative" work on Anniversary, they were responsible for updating the visuals in the singleplayer campaign. That's very different to building the next game in the franchise from the ground up.

The multiplayer component was by Certain Affinity.