Home General Discussion

Help with computer issue

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys I'm have and issue with my computer this morning and want to see if I can fix it without taking it in.

I woke up this morning and turned on my computer it booted up but non of my normal programs that boot up with the system started ( steam, Skype , msn ) I found that weird but didn't thin it was to weird.

But when I went to open a program like Firefox I would click it but nothing would pop up and this point the computer would lock up forcing me to shut ot down manually.

Something that might help figuring out the issue is that I think there might have been a power outage/surge in my building last night while I was sleeping not 100% sure.

If there is anything I might be able to do to fix this let me know cause I just bought this computer and to already have issues with it kinda sucks :(

Replies

• disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm them damn computers :( did it only happened once/ did you try it again and the same thing is happening again? Not that i know all that much from computers.. just trying to narrow it down.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It honestly sounds like a virus. If the PC will actually start, and run, as long as you don't start/click anything, it most likely is not a hardware issue. See if you can start in safe mode. Then try Firefox. If that works, then you should find some virus and anti-malware software
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Some ideas assuming you use windows:

- run msconfig and double check your startup progs are enabled
    - system restore from safe mode
    - run windows scanner if you can download the latest version from another computer

I've experienced something like this in our laptops. I just restart or do a force shutdown if it freezes. Could be due from os or driver updates.

If I can get into safe mode, it's usually something I could figure out and fix.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Damn wierd if it were a virus was using it 3 am last night and had no issues :(

I have restarted the computer 5 times same thing keeps happening.

I'll go into safe mode and see if I can click on anything without any issues.

So I'm guessing a power surge wouldent do this?

Thanks for the help guys I'll keep you guys posted on any results :)
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    ae. wrote: »

I wouldn't expect any damage from a surge if you shut down without issues the night before.

But yeah, if you're not using them I recommend a cheap surge braker would help keep your hardware safe. If you've never bought them before make sure it has a braker and not just a power strip.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I had a problem exactly like this ages ago, and it was a virus. When I restarted my computer, thats when it kicked in. I fixed it by running windows in safe mode and running a program called Malwarebytes. Its like caustic soda for your computer, it will rip-apart anything that could be a virus. Might be worth a shot?
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18

Very likely if this caused your computer to power down and reboot, or you powered your computer down and rebooted and you hadn't rebooted recently before this, it just simply meant that the virus had already been installed, it just had not started with Windows yet like it was scripted to.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn wierd if it were a virus was using it 3 am last night and had no issues :(

Likely, a virus slipped in while you were using it, then waited to install itself when you restarted. They embed themselves into windows dlls or registry, which won't reload until the next boot.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    aight sounds like i might have a virus malwarebytes and see what i can do ill keep you guys updated :)

thanks for the help again guys your the best!
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    malwarebytes, spybot search and destroy, your personal flavour of antivirus app.. bang them virii over the head with a broad shovel :D
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Used both Malwarebytes ans spybot search and destroy, unfortunately the problem is persisting :(

Is there any other course of action i can take? im terrible with computers so any help would be apreciated.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    there's the rootkit detector GMER.. http://www.gmer.net/

but it's more of a power-user tool from what little experience i have with it.
  • Ben Apuna
    Another good one to try is Super Anti Spyware. Try the portable version here:
    https://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html

Have you done the scans in Windows safe mode? Sometimes that's necessary to really find and get rid of the bad stuff.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Hey ae,

sucks to hear that man, did you try doing a disk error-check? if it was a surge it could have messed with your HDD.
  • gsokol
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol polycounter lvl 14
    Hm...

2 things that this sounds like it could be...A busted HDD or an overheating problem.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think that HDD issues or overheating, would allow him to still boot up Windows, yet stop his startup programs from running. Most likely, you wouldn't even get Windows to load completely.

ae, can you keep the computer on for long periods? And by that, I mean, just let it sit there, without running a program. Say, for 15-30 minutes, without it locking up or shutting down on it's own.

Worse case scenario, do a complete system restore. Hopefully, since you just got the PC, you haven't personalized it too much, where you'd lose anything by wiping everything, and starting over. If it persists after doing that, then you know you have a hardware issue.
  • jacksena
    You can take Malware Removal for complete computer safety which can safe your computer from viruses and malware.