Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Tutorial] Tileable Textures

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 15
Hey everyone. So this is my first completed tutorial, and I figured I would make a thread for it once it was all finished. Just a note beforehand.. the other tutorial i was working on is on hold, and im not sure if ill get back to it yet. but anyway..

In this tutorial I will show you how to start with an existing concept image, be it a photo or a digital drawing, and take that into 3ds max to build a base model. The tools I use are not complex at all, so the same could easily be done in Maya, Blender, etc. From there I go into zbrush and start sculpting the model, which is where most of the detail for the texture will be created. Afterwards I go over baking in Xnormal, and texturing in Photoshop.

This process was a big learning experience for me, and hopefully it can teach others some new things too. More advanced users of zbrush and 3ds max may not really gain too much new info from these videos except for Video 3.

Hope you enjoy these. Feel free to give me comments and feedback on them. :D

For those who do not wish to go through part 1.. i fully understand. And I am more than happy to provide .OBJ files for you to start part 2 with. Below, you can download a care package for this tutorial. It includes the .obj of the mesh i created for the tutorial, as well as a different one in case you care to do something slightly different (NOTE! The brick_001_start.obj has less objects within the file, which means less time sculpting individual pieces). Also included is the end result .PSD.

CARE PACKAGE!!!

Here is my final texture from the tutorial.

stonewall.jpg

Part 1: Creating The Base
Notes: The process of using splines is a personal preference. The same result could easily be achieved using planes.

[vv]35545046[/vv] [vv]35545123[/vv]

Part 2: Sculpting First Pass

[vv]36254107[/vv]

Part 3: Creating A Detail Alpha
Notes: To fix zBrushes crashing when importing 16 bit alphas, click on Preferences>Performance>Preload-File-Size and raise that number. For best results, import .PSD in 16bit greyscale mode.
Credit to Computron for that tip.

[vv]33784207[/vv]

Part 4: Sculpting Second Pass

[vv]36462752[/vv]

Part 5: Baking

[vv]36770333[/vv]

Part 6: Texturing

[vv]37489855[/vv]

Part 7: Prepping for Unreal

[vv]39159860[/vv]

Part 8: UDK Material Construction

[vv]39584259[/vv]