done :)

FinalPresentation.jpg

And this one was for fun =]

FinalPresentationCutOut.jpg

028WIP.jpg

027WIP.jpg

015WIP.jpg

014WIP.jpg

So I want to take a big bloody tooth, and make it into the head of a demonic type hammer. Yup. That's about where I'm at so far. And a sketch :poly136:

Also, this is way out of my comfort zone of sci-fi guns, but I'm stoked to get back into some zbrush and take a stab at some hand painting

001WIP.jpg

C&Cs very welcomed. I consider myself a terrible concept artist/designer and a great copier. :poly121:

Replies

• Laku
    I'm terrible at concept art too! However it decides whether your piece is crap or amazing. It's a good start, but a little generic for me. I would say start trying to throw down as many weapon silhouettes as you can and choose from the one that's best. Good work.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I'd say it's arguable that concept alone decides whether or not a piece turns out crap or amazing. I mean, I am pretty sure some people are just going to jump right into 3d for this contest and still do very well. But I won't argue that it's never a bad idea to keep pushing a concept. ;)

I'll try and get another refined sketch or two tonight after work. Thanks for the comment! =]
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    playing with that dynamesh stuff and blocking in some forms. I think I am going to have the main hammer/tooth being "consumed" by the staff of the hammer in a twisted and demonic mannor, instead of the tooth held together by leather staps. Ideally having the spikes at the bottom end up being nasty horn things or maybe more pointy teeth.

002WIP.jpg
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Definitely make it look like the weapon is eating itself. That basically sums up Demon weapons :D
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    it needs toothception, teeth within teeth!

edit: what I am trying to say is, you can push it allot more, make the theme, teeth. so add more teeth around or maybe on the molar itself. I think it would make it less boring
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    @Habboi: Most def! I am going to just try and go crazy on this sculpt. Don't feel like sketching any more >_<

@EVIL: more teeth, on the way!

I got off work early today! So I get to hit this with more time =]
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    just trying to get it to look more interesting. So I am thinking most of the protruding spikes will end up being smaller horns, with the big tooth as the only tooth. IDK. Guess I'll keep sculpting, haha.

003WIP.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    trying to get a feel for detail and stylizing it up!
    004WIP.jpg
  • ageless
    I feel that hammer head should be bigger.Currently, the whole weapon seems like it can't do much damage to super-duper heavy foes of darksiders.It's looking like a tribal weapon used for hunting and shit.I hope you don't mind, as this is what i feel.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ageless! I agree =] How does this new size work?

starting to try and flesh out the organic growth that'll tie it all together hopefully.

005WIP.jpg
  • ageless
    Which theme you wanna go for with this??..

what i feel is add some more stuff to your concept..and decide your theme.Currently the whole concept is looking a bit empty.

I like your pommel though.Even your handle, as a start, it's good.A big tooth is a nice idea.You can add more bones in there.

Just keep at it...
  • Jiece
    Agreeing with ageless, here. Not too sure which theme you're going for-- it just seems like the slightest twinge of Darksiders Core and nothing else. With a little more stress on the fleshy bits surrounding the tooth, and maybe running down the handle, you could have a great Demonic piece on your hands.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    @ageless and Jiece:
    I am going for a demonic themed hammer. I hope that's a little more apparent in my neest WIP of the sculpt >_<

I've decided on a name for the weapon.
    Tooth Decay

teeehehehe

006WIP.jpg
  • irritated1
    Offline / Send Message
    irritated1 polycounter lvl 12
    looking pretty cool, you might want to define the shaft a bit more, with some gooey bits or exaggerate the spike to give it a bit more umff
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks irritated1! Yeah I haven't given much thought to the handle yet. I'll for sure have to add a subtle something to bring this thing full circle.
  • Kurry
    Looking great ! Really like the icky bits on this. Feel the handle is a little bit to fragile as it is now but since youre still changing it should be all good ^^
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    saw this in another contest entry thread and had to try it. I am in the process of doing the handle over right now. Will thin it up for sure from where it is at. I'd like to potentially get the sculpt done by tonight so if you think of anything, just say it ♥

007WIP.jpg
  • Dvolution
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    Proportion-wise you should thin out the handle considerably. Even in the reference you're using, Death's hand that is closer to the pommel is clipping on that hammer's handle. Your's is even thicker.
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    ballsak.

You should definitely thin that handle way down.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    you're the second person to see nuts pseudoBug. lol. I'll keep it XD In the process of thinning it down now.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    kk. I'm pretty content with the HP. Learned a ton already just from the sculpt. Too much fun guys :)

008WIP.jpg

009WIP.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    looking like I may need to squash this thing a bit. Pommel kinda sticking out. IDK.

This is a decimated mesh I got out of zbrush and pro optimized it in max even more down to 1,494 Tris. Tackling unwrap and bake tomorrow I hopes. Would also like to dabble in a color study off one of my zbrush renders soon. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

010WIP.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    just a color PO in photoshop. Let me know what ya guys think of t he colors! :)

012WIP.jpg
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    It's the tooth fairy weapon!
  • 0Hayes
    Offline / Send Message
    0Hayes polycounter lvl 5
    Wow I'm impressed how well this is turning out! The colour scheme is cool although the blue handle doesn't seem to work too well. Perhaps make it a muddy green or a dark metallic brown? Keep it up!
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    It's the tooth fairy weapon!

haha! A friend of mine on facebook called me the demonic tooth fairy! I guess I set myself up for it :poly136:
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    alrighty then. tweaked the handle color. Added mess to it. I think I like it better. May take a beak from color to clean up the low poly mesh and get to baking.

013WIP.jpg
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    You want the TOOTH? You can't HANDLE the TOOTH!!!

Much improved on the "sak" issue, at least from this angle. :)
  • benji
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Great design, I think its uniqueness counts for a lot. The execution too, this is brutal.

I like the red/subtle greens scheme going on, although the central shaft doesn't seem to tie in. How about boosting contrast with a dark wrought iron handle with some rusty reds in there?
  • SgtNasty
    I think this is coming along pretty well, but I agree about the handle, I think it's sort of just dull at the moment. Maybe have something wrapped around it?
  • ageless
    Colors are looking mouthlike.Which is good.

More thought should be given on organic growth area(which i think it resembles GUMS) on hammer head.Make it look more chunky.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks so much for the input guys! Much appreciated =]
    For the sake of time, I am pretty set on my sculpt and colors visualization. I will probably change things up a little when actually doing the diffuse, but I am at least comfortable with the colors in place for now.

014WIP.jpg

015WIP.jpg
  • invizzie14u
  • bgivenb
    Offline / Send Message
    bgivenb polycounter lvl 5
    This is my favorite so far. So original
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    @invizzie14u: Thanks very much! =]

@bgivenb: now that is too kind. Feels good to be called a favorite, not going to lie. Hope you like the final model as well!

I will probably get some time tonight to go over the decimated mesh I have and get it ready for baking. Will posts pics of updated lo-res model and UVs as soon as they are ready. There is shaping up to be a ton of good stuff in this contest. Very exciting!
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    not a huge update, but I spent some time tonight cleaning up the mesh that had been decimated in zbrush and max. Some work went into forming out the spikes a bit more, and some optimization on the central parts containing the lots of demonic growth.

Also started stabbing around in the Unwrap Unwrap UVW editor, but to tell you guys the truth, I'm not too sure what the best approach to an unwrap would be on this thing. Anyone have any helpful hints as to a good way to start unwrapping this thing?

Aside from clicking the Unwrap UVW Modifier ;-)

016WIP-1.jpg
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    It'd have to be a combination of Planar with Relax Tool and Pelt Mapping the more sphere like shapes such as the bottom.

You'll want to really think about which parts can share the same space and break it all up in order of importance. The tooth head is quite large and needs a lot of texture space in order to keep the focus.

I'm still blocking out my design for sculpting and I've never used Zbrush to make a low res mesh before. I may try using the Paint tools in Zbrush to generate UV's as that's what one of the artists said he did as he was too lazy to UV map. The other reason was that he said he sucked at painting on a UV sheet and liked being able to paint directly on the mesh.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice Habboi! I actually did some of those technique in max for sure.

Here is a shot of the current lo res model with a super quick test bake at 1024 on it from an older hi res decimated from the zedbrush. After one more pass on optimizing the UVs a little more, I am going to bake the correct hi res mesh and finally get around to the textures! yay =]

Current tri count at 1,498

0:-)

017WIP.jpg

018WIP.jpg

thanks again for all the advice all
  • kelli
    Looks cool Brad! But... More padding!! :D
  • fabio brasilien
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    hehe looks great! Great idea.

I would just complain about the sense of scale. From the screenshots all scratches and dirty are very big, like it was a small weapon and had been scaled up. But in fact this is a big teeth on a massive weapon. Compare it with the character.

Beside the scale the overall is great.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kelli: you got it! 12 pixles of padding it is.

Thanks Bobo, for the video :)

@fabio brasillien: Sorry but I am kind of confused. Is it the scale of the damage on the tooth that is weird?

So I got around to my final normal and AO bakes. I am pretty happy with them. Final tri count is looking like 1,496 Tris. Just a few shy of 1500 ;)

Check out some max renders of the bake on a massive 2048 and wire frames until I get a base diffuse to show. C&Cs wanted por favor :)

And yes, the AO is tinted red. just 'cause!

019WIP.jpg

020WIP.jpg

021WIP.jpg
  • fabio brasilien
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Yes I mean the damage, scratches, dirty, this kind of detail do define its scale. This is a human teeth, that by default is a small thing. If you don´t put some stuff that tell the viewer that this is actually a huge teeth your weapon gonna look a lot smaller than it realy is.
    Does it make sense?
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    ^yeah for sure :)

I'll try to push some smaller detail (most likely nasty stains/cavities/ect into the tooth in the diffuse texture. Kinda how I hopefully hinted in on the front hammer side and back roots of the tooth. Am I on the right track? >_<

Thanks again =]
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    omg totally had to break from this to take care of life BS. lawls.

got my base colors in. I still need to tighten up the material selections (flesh, bone, metal) in the texture but it's almost there. Once i'm happy with these base colors, I will then get onto throwing some gradients and grunge.

any and all comments appreciated rad people

022WIP.jpg
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I think what would really help is the crazy bump tricks bobo used to give his texture more cavity umph!
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Evil: lol. I totally did both the maps out of Crazybump how Bobo showed. Maybe I did something wrong or too subtle >_< I will and push it a bit more tomorrow and post some plats as well once everything i little more tidy. Thanks for the input :)
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    so I had a little bit of time tonight to bring a mesh into UDK and set up a base shader with a temp 512 diffuse and normal.

now I like having the choice to see my model in max or in engine easy peasy while texturing from now on. I guess >_<

Comments an crits about my turrible lighting and rendering welcomed!

023WIP.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    So I got to a bit more refining on the base texture and I also playing around with my UDK setting as well. FOV is now at 45 from Unreal's crazy 80 or whatever the default is.

Feeling a bit more comfortable with this render, so I'm hoping to get to the final texturing very soon. But so much life stuff keeps getting in the wayz >_<

024WIP.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Definitely made for one-handed use. The size of the hammerhead is just too big, if it's meant to be for two hands.
    Looks great though, can't wait for the final!
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joopson: I am a little confused about why you think this looks more of a one handed weapon? Did you see my mock-up for the concept in Deaths hands? It was much smaller before if you'll notice early on in my thread, but I was told to beef it up to make the proportions more interesting, and I agreed, haha. Thanks for the compliment though :)