Home General Discussion

What is the secure job in CG? VFX or gaming

Sorry if this question was posted before, i couldn't find nothing similar.

I am kind of the middle to choose for CG film or gaming? Mostly, i am interest in modeling, and texturing, realistic character and creatures. I am already learning human anatomy, from ZbrushWorkshop , and it's a bit of hard for beginner. So i thought, where is safest job to work for. I heard many things for both films and gaming. Like, for films, there is 1 year to make a film, after that, you need to wait to get another task or move to other company. For gaming, for making game, it's takes.2-3-4 years, but it's bad when it comes to cancel the game, and all the artist will need to go. But it's most safest than film.

Could you guys give me some advice, feedback, personal experience or something.

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Neither are "secure". Both are based on projects with a fixed length, both of which are relatively short term in the grand scheme on things. If you want job security in either, you just have to be good at what you do.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    To be 100% honest, nothing is going to be stable, even more so when you are just starting out, I think it boils down to the studio more than the cetain job role.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't matter you're disposable labor either way. Full time with a 401k or contract you stand about the same chance of being let go when the project ends in either studio. Always keep a box under your desk and never get too comfortable.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I have no FX industry experience but it seems most of the hollywood FX industry is all out in California. I like that there are plenty of hubs all over the country for game industry jobs, I'm in Austin right now and I could see myself buying a house in a few years. The wages are slightly less than the East & West coast but there's a massive drop in cost of living.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Some companies are more stable than others. Look for those with the older staff, the people with kids and houses. But at the end of the day, every companies 'stability' changes from project to project.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    From what I've seen, smaller studios tend to be more stable. The larger, AAA studios have investors they have to please, so once a game ships, they lay off a lot of people. Smaller studios, esepecially the indie ones, tend to have better stability. However, they tend to play less. Also, childrens games / educational games. They aint going no where!
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i'd say vfx, if you mean film
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    HAHAHAHAH. awesome. nowdays i just expect to go from project to project, studio to studio. at 1st it was annoying and scary, but at least it bumps your salary up quickly if you move on before your contract is up. then again im a single young guy so I feel bad for those with families who dont want to relocate which i can see being a major pain.

nothing is stable these days but there are still tons of jobs out there, take advantage of linkedin and events like siggraph. as long as you have a good portfolio you shouldnt have too much trouble finding work.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    nothing is stable these days

well, nothing in the entertainment industry. I have a friend who's been a mechanic at the same shop for 12 years now and everyone I know in the healthcare industry has been there 20-30 years.