Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Hammer, Di$array

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Di$array polycounter lvl 5
Going to give this a shot!

Got my eye on a Darksiders core theme at the moment, but as you know that could change. Concept images incoming soon.

****UPDATE*****

Polycount_Darksiders_2_Comp_Mace_Pres_Sheet.jpg

Replies

• Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Okie dokie. After a few quick sketches I've chosen my entry idea. I thought about what makes a horseman a horseman. One of the first thoughts was their role; war, famine, etc, etc but that lead to a more personalised weapon which they already have in the Darksiders 'verse so then my thoughts shifted to their faithful companions and what really gives them their name. The steeds they ride into battle on.

So the Steed's Fury was born..... roughly anyways.....

Rough_Chosen_Idea_Steeds_Fury_01.jpg
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I hope it ends up being a talking weapon like in the DMC series. Neeeeighhh.

That handle is actually kinda disturbing. Is it the horses spine? It's a cool design though.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    maybe make it a horse skull to fit the style better ?
    ds_riders4.jpg
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    This is an original idea but I think mixing it with the concept snow has linked will improve it. I'm not too sure about the current pose of the horse-head either. Perhaps you could go for something more like the head concept to the left's pose?
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi - lol I never thought about that. Would be quite comical. It was originally a cloth wrap but i do like the spine idea. Especially when you take into account SnowInChina idea.

SnowInChina - Defentily a cool idea mate and I think I may go down that path. I knock out a few concepts tonight. Also cheers for the ref image!

Goraaz - Totally agree with you mate. Looking at it now I've angled it down alot more. So you get the full force of the head in a hit now.

Should have my undated images later tonight or tomorrow.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Like from what I've seen from the DS art style, there doesn't seem to be a TON of 'breathing room' in the designs per-se. Rather they use the lines within the design to dictate the composition of the weapon (not sure if that abstract rambling made sense).

Like imagine that skull you drew and it was covered with badass armour. Then the armour had hieroglyphs on it. Then you actually see how the head is tied onto the weapon, with additional rope and nails. Then cover that with additional armour elements that hold everything together. But then all of that tied together cohesively.

Like there shouldn't be a LOT Of empty space in the design imho, but the busy-ness needs to be cohesive and readable (did that make any sense??).

But one thing I can suggest is pushing that silhouette complexity even further, and add MORE layer to it.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi - Hey Jacque buddy. Yeah I understood that perfectly. I pushed my concept further last night and I'm happy with where it is heading but I'll probably push it even more after hearing you out.

Rough_Chosen_Idea_Steeds_Fury_02.jpg
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i'm going to start getting swamped with work soon so I'm just going to pick the middle one and run with that for the time being. I may get a chance to play about with it in the sculpting phase but we'll see. I've given it a lick of paint to bring it to life and to better see where i'm heading with it.

Enjoy!

Final_Concept_DS2_Comp.jpg
  • invizzie14u
    Disarray, you've got a good theme going....how about some spikeys or the horse heads more nasty/evil?
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Invizzie! I added a few spikes to the heads aswell as altered the head's shape with a liquify pass in PS but as I'm posting now I think I may add some more small spikes for fracture wounds rather than impaling spikes in and around the mane area. That may also give its studded effect.

Anyways here is the latest. Plus I need to change my thread title to a hammer now as its starting to fall into that category.

Final_Concept_DS2_Comp_02.jpg
  • invizzie14u
    Looking good, DiSarray, keep on with it!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I always look forward to seeing your comp entries dude. This is shaping up to be a good one. Nice silhouette :)
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    invizzie14u, Cheers buddy. I'll keep chipping away at it.

Lankus, Hey mate nice to see you again. Thanks for the kind words.

Ok a little update from me. I was lucky enough to scarpe some time together and I found myself redoing my design. So I went with a more spikey design to fit more inline with the darksider core theme.

Final_Concept_DS2_Comp_03.jpg
  • afisher
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    hey mate, this is looking good. I like the latest design
  • BigK
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK polycounter lvl 4
    I love this latest design, overall I think it works better together. The teeth on the skulls are a very nice addition. The only part that I am not sure I like is the bottom tip, I really liked having the horses hoof there. I think that gave it a special touch.
  • K13R4ND4Y5H1989
    its a really cool idea i was thinking of something like this for myself. but if hes wielding that weapon while mounted on a horse.... they could clash. be mindfull of his surrounding sand what he interacts with aswell. but cool idea keep going :)
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher, Cheers buddy. Yeah I'm much happier with the new design. But there is still a few things I'll change when it comes to modelling.

BigK, Hey. Cheers for the kind words. Yeah I may play about with the hoof idea if I have time.

K13R4ND4Y5H1989, Really? I'll have to check your thread out to see what path you went down. As for clashing with Despair I think the large two-handed weapon disappear when you are riding him.

----

Well I've finally had some time to carry on with this. It'll be a bit of a push to hit the deadline but I guess we'll see. I'll finish this no matter what though. As for the project so far I've finally got my rough base mesh imported into zbrush and I've started sculpting away.

Roughlowpoly.jpg
    Skull_WIP.jpg
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    little update....

wip_02.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Nice sculpt, how do you intend to do the hair? Just wondering.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    I scapped the horse bust idea for a more aggressive and dark design. But if I was to go down that path I probably would of just sculpted the hair with claytubes.

Well I finally got my Normal and AO maps rendered out. Which you can see in the image below. Plus I've splashed a lick of paint onto it aswell. Its a earlier shot of this morning progress and the it clocks in at 1798 tris.

C&C would be most welcome.

wip_03.jpg
    wip_04.jpg
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working away on the textures at the moment. I'm glad I ditched the purple gradient in the skulls for a nice ornage instead. C&C would be welcome if you have any.

Enjoy.

wip_05.jpg
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I think the orange strap colour should be desaturated a little more, not much but just a little and it'd be nice to see the horse eyes / runes glow. But yeah this is shaping up nicely.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    I think the orange strap colour should be desaturated a little more, not much but just a little and it'd be nice to see the horse eyes / runes glow. But yeah this is shaping up nicely.

Yeah I hear you loud and clear about the fabric wraps. I've desaturated and its paid off thanks.

As for the emissive map I always leave themti last. I have an updated shot with tham applied below.

Polycount_Darksiders_2_Comp_Mace_Pres_Sheet.jpg