• Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    your wall..is godly
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good job with that wax material :D lookin great!
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I have no plans for the rest of the room. I was just trying to keep things small so I could work on small details putting my heart to the task without feeling like the work was never going to be over at that pace...
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik wrote: »
    your wall..is godly

I hate the wall, it need some cracks and crisp edges lol, and the stone around the windows look like chapata bread hahahahaha

DSC01719.JPG

Anyway, thanks everyone! I'll try to figure out what to do with the rest of the scene. Try to think something so its not an absolutely empty room but that I dont need a week to complete, lol...
    Because I also wanted to make a kittie and animate it a bit and some some particles in the orb and so many other stuffff.
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schrodinger's Backface polycounter lvl 6
    You've done an excellent job making this look like a painting. I want to know exactly how you accomplish this. Make a tutorial? Please?

Anyways, it's beautiful.
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made columns and arcs, so the room its not just a box...

udk_environment_the_wizard__s_desk_wip_by_zelldweller-d4rgd54.jpg

Now I'm making a seat and some shelves or something to fill up more space around.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Glad to see you're refining the textures so they arent all so muddy looking. Might want to look into some god beams and dust to pop out the scene a bit more.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it is supposed to be dark in there, but it is a bit underlit I think. Makes it little hard to enjoy.

Sweet work overall tho.
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm adding a few candelabras on the next update and that will add something more to the lighting
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    uncle wrote: »
    I know it is supposed to be dark in there, but it is a bit underlit I think. Makes it little hard to enjoy.

Sweet work overall tho.

Seconded. Look forward to seeing some lighting tweaks.

Also, things seem a bit saturated and monotone especially in that wide shot. IE: The blue in the orb, the reddish desk.

See if you can introduce some color varation, to make it feel less like each piece is colored with one tone in photoshop.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For lighting variation, you could make the Blue Orb a bit brighter?
    I had envisioned something more like a blue light source inside it from your concept.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    materials feel poorly defined, normals are too soft, speculat too strong in areas of totally black diffuse colour, and it doesn't feel grand enough, seems like an amatuer wizards desk, where's the crazy fluids and the mizing pots and glass tubes, and the stuffed animals and the globe showing the fantasy world he inhabits etc etc
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the things you are pointing out, mates...
    I'm thinking of checking out once more everything, fixing more stuff.
    In the pass I used to commit the error of being afraid of making hard contrasts and using saturated colours... So consciously I've been trying to use brighter tones. You may be right, maybe now I'm going too far sometimes. I'll try to grab a couple of images and use photoshop to try some variations...

Plus, yeah, I have to try some light effects in the orb and everything, some animations... I want the lights winking a bit... get that rocks better textured. I would also discard the knife, which I think its by far the worst prop I made for this scene, I absolutely hate it!

I just finished the candelabras and I'm rendering a lightmap as I write. I also modeled a stool.
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D wrote: »
    materials feel poorly defined, normals are too soft, speculat too strong in areas of totally black diffuse colour, and it doesn't feel grand enough, seems like an amatuer wizards desk, where's the crazy fluids and the mizing pots and glass tubes, and the stuffed animals and the globe showing the fantasy world he inhabits etc etc

Rick, what in your opinion is the worst thing I've done with materials?. I mean, the ones I'm not happy at all with are knife, the stones in the walls look muddy, specially the arch around the window... also the glass in the last small bottles I made has a little problem with the alpha. But well, in general, this is the best scene I've ever done in terms of how the materials are looking in the end... Is there any precise thing else you think I should rework to make it look better?

Btw, you are absolutely right, its not looking grand enough, I didn't prepared too much, almost didn't made any concepts, but well, this was more than anything like some kind idea I had to get more practice making
    props. I should have made a better concept first or pick one that was already drawn by some pro concept artist...
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    udk_environment_the_wizard__s_desk_wip_by_zelldweller-d4rkg2v.jpg

By the way, here's the new candelabra :)
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying some light effects for the orb, I don't know what movie was that but I remember a scene with a magic orb that had like a storm inside. Maybe it was the wizard of Oz :/
    Its just a particle effect from one of the guns of ut, tweaked a bit...
    udk_environment_the_wizard__s_desk_wip_by_zelldweller-d4rkwt6.jpg
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made this new dagger, I hatted the other with the snake!!!
    I across this image in google image and copied the knife, trying to make it as close to the real as posible... Made the copper wire around the bone handle much thicker.
    udk_environment_the_wizard__s_desk_wip_athame_by_zelldweller-d4rtrll.jpg

Athame11.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your modelling and texture work is astonishing!
    If I could lick that candelabra I would.

What is your general workflow and texture size?
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Books look fan-bloody-tastic. I think the skulls would look cooler without the jaw bone attached. Again, those are some damn fine books.

[EDIT] apparently there are a whole 2 other pages I haven't looked at yet. Btw, those books look absolutely boss.
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My textures here are being a bit too high... but its because I'm used to work with big sizes... resizing them down shouldn't completely destroy the models... For small objects I use a 1024 texture, such as the skull, or the books, or even the candelabra. If I need finer detail or make a group of props share the same texture I go up to 2048, but never higher...

The workflow is just... modeling in zbrush, retopo in topogun, bake the maps in xnormal, and compose with other base textures in photoshop, following the same general workflow they do for this video.

http://www.3dmotive.com/training/zbrush/tileable-zbrush-video/?follow=true

Lately I'm trying to base my props more on real objects... just to be making the exercise of copying the materials, and the type of damage, the scratches, bumps and everything... You can try to figure out from yourself all that, but feels like a good exercise to copy from reality for a while.

And also I've been noticing that the more love you pour on the high poly the better the low poly is gonna come out... Just that at the start I just made things thinking... "well. the texture is gonna make some of the crappy detail fade away"
    No way, just try to make it as polished as if it were a character face... being clean pays off a lot...
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    If I could lick that candelabra I would.

Probably the best compliment I have ever received hahahaha
    Thanks so much, mate, I laughted out loud for real with this one
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the knife but I dont like a lot of things about it... The handle, above all, the wire should have been thiner and the bone would need more work... I should have sticked with the original deer bone maybe...
    udk_environment_the_wizard__s_desk_wip_athame_by_zelldweller-d4rzv4l.jpg
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's what I was working on for the rest of the day. I was trying to finish it off but its too late for me, and can't finish it off... I only need to finish the back part with the handles and all that, right now its half done in the low poly.
    udk_prop_viking_wooden_shield_by_zelldweller-d4s1t7c.jpg

Here's the high poly I used for the bakes. It took me 2 and a half hours or so, as I said I'm trying to get the high-polys well-finished

udk_prop_viking_wooden_shield_by_zelldweller-d4s1tsi.jpg
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wrapped up this prop just a while ago, I feel so satisfied with this one. Looks cool and took me just one working day for the whole proccess. Learning so much from previous errors :)

udk_prop_viking_wooden_shield_by_zelldweller-d4s3o1g.jpg
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent 4-5 hours in the forge of odin to forge this sword. Or at least it felt like the forge of Odin for I was listening Manowar all the time.

udk_prop_viking_sword_by_zelldweller-d4s5bo8.jpg