Home General Discussion

Looking for character modeler job with training...

Guys, I know I may not be active in the forums, but I am going to ask a question: I am so far a Blender user, but most of the game companies here in States ask for experience in 3DS, and some even at Mac computers...

Are there any companies willing accept and train budding character modelers? I live in Mesquite by the way.

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    short answer: no.

long answer: nooooo.

Companies are not usually looking to hire people they can mold into being productive, because that's a huge risk and expensive, to boot. They are looking for someone who already has the art skills when they hire them.

Studios are willing to hire someone of sufficient skill with the wrong 3d package if those skills are easily transferable (as they typically are) so becoming a great 3d modeler with Blender will certainly help, but no one is going to pay you to sit around and some day make useful things.

And they aren't going to give you a free internship either, because you're not really free. There are a lot of costs associated with running your unpaid internship, from hardware and software, to more esoteric stuff like rent/electricity/etc, plus there are various internship standards that have to be met, and finally, you're going to be filling a seat in a room that someone who knows what they're doing could be filling, and just taking up raw space can make it more difficult for them to organize their teams effectively.

So rather than hoping for someone else to pick you up and help you learn, learn on your own.

There are also free trials and educational licenses for software other than Blender that you can look into if you would like to learn more standard software like Photoshop or Maya.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Ghostscape pretty much nailed it. Even an intern is expected to be of a certain skill level so you can't just hope they'll hire you because of your passion and potential. Hoping will get you nowhere fast
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm 22, and just graduated Computer Science in Philippines, and working as a Medicare Biller, and I work 5x a week (Mon-Fri)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I am also 22 and work 5 days a week, so that should not stop you from working on your own.
    Care to show us some of your work?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    The industry is too far along to take anyone on at sub-entry-freshman level, especially for character artists. Work on your stuff and wow people!

Even if you're a badass, there is always more to learn.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Haisasi said be a badass, but don't forget even now there are many badass character artists out of work. Would you hire a passionate motivated trainee or seasoned pro? They are your competition. Not to dissuade you, work on your portfolio to be as good as you can be, gl!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Hatsya wrote: »
    and some even at Mac computers...

Say it ain't so!!! :O ;)

Do you work at a computer? You use Blender already, so just bring the folder non-.exe version with you on a USB stick to work and if there's downtime and no one watching... :thumbup: Also for lunch times etc.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    maybe you can start as freelance artist, I see it works for some people. it is good to shape up your skill without tied up in specific pipeline.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Hatsya wrote: »
    Are there any companies willing accept and train budding character modelers? I live in Mesquite by the way.

There are "companies". Just ones who won't or will never be able to pay you...because everyone in the company including the CEO is training on the job.

(I'm not referring mod teams, just the wannabe studios preying on beginners.)