Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character as one mesh and texturing question

kungfoolai
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
kungfoolai polycounter lvl 7
Am sculpting a character for use in a game engine which will require rigging and animation.

Ive a pretty high poly character and will do the retopology later once hes completed.

The thing is, ive modelled the character into parts such as the body, shirt, pants and gear etc are all separate objects.
Am thinking to delete some of the hidden geometry of the main body later as it will be covered with the shirt and pants etc.
Am wondering when i do the retopology do i have to have it all as one mesh like for example, target weld the vertices together inside of 3ds max so its one mesh or can i just simply attach the different parts together using the attach tool or even just group them?

For the texturing am thinking of doing polypainting. I hear that you can get the vertex colours from the high poly on the low poly once ive retopped it and unwrap it inside of xnormal is this true?

thanks

Replies

• supefranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my workflow for such situations:
    1)Extract as obj your highpoly models, separately each object
    2)Do retopo (i prefer 3d coat, it have auto retopogy, very easy to use). On each object.
    3)Extract retopologized obj's (uvunwrap it in 3d coat or max or whatever)
    4)Load highpoly meshes and low poly in Xnormal. And bake it as what you want.
    5)Load retopologized meshes in zbrush, add couple of subdivisions and project highpoly on lowpoly. Then do what you want with it, paint etc and extract as texture. Your uv will be left intact.
    Then you can delete parts all you want.

I hope i didn't forgot anything. Sorry for my bad english.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Why would you want to paint on the lowpoly mesh in Zbrush? Even if you add subdivs- why?

Why not painting the highpoly and baking the diffuse in Xnormal to the lowpoly?