Home Technical Talk

Double Sided Face with Normals Help

I've searched around for answers but couldn't find any so I'll ask here. I have a sail of a ship that I have baked a normal map onto. The low poly is a double-sided face because having both sides of the sail would take up a huge amount of UV space.

My problem is that this naturally causes lighting problems and it only looks correct from the back side:

High poly:
high%20poly.jpg
Low poly from the back:
correct.jpg
Low poly from the front:
incorrect.jpg

I should note I'm going to render this in Marmoset. Are there any creative solutions I can use to flip the normals on the front without having to give it its own huge dedicated UV space?

Thanks!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Copy faces, flip normals, that should do it. Unless I'm missing something.

Edit: oh wait no I'm being dumb, you will have to map each side uniquely I think.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    from what i gather, copying the faces and flipping is 'cheaper' as well.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Yeh I don't think flipping will do anything, since whatever way the normal is facing, the per pixel normal of the texture map will override it.

I think you could probably setuo something where you have the sails as a dif material and have a ahader which accounts for this, but then you prob wouldn't have it on the same sheet as the rest of your stuff.

Not sure how/if you could accomplish this in marmoset though,
  • Eric Chadwick
    You could do it in a more modular way, by only mapping single row and tiling the mesh upwards to make the whole sail. You would have a single "outie" band of texture and a single "innie" band.
  • EarthQuake
    m4dcow wrote: »
    Yeh I don't think flipping will do anything, since whatever way the normal is facing, the per pixel normal of the texture map will override it.

Tangent space normals are relative to the lowpoly mesh normals, they can not override normal facing direction.
    You could do it in a more modular way, by only mapping single row and tiling the mesh upwards to make the whole sail. You would have a single "outie" band of texture and a single "innie" band.

Yeah depending on the detail level needed this would work, if he need unique or fine detail it wouldn't really be a good solution though.

Another thing he could do is simply model the the low out to get the look he wants without baking down normals, then with a duplicate+flip both sides would be lit correctly. Trade geometry count for texture space.
  • Marchwarden

That's an interesting consideration. These sails are going to just be white sails, though on the edges I should probably add details for rope support. With a little experimentation it could still work; I will try it, thanks alot Eric :).

@Earthquake: I actually did struggle with that idea. I should note that this ship is going to have 5 more copies of this sail. That, plus the fact that my whole mesh is starting to pass 30k tris (it's a detailed portfolio piece) it seemed prohibitive to put that detail in the low poly geometry. I'll give it a try too and if it looks good I may just go with it. Thanks for the input :).