Home Technical Talk

having the object as a collision box

a-k-m
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
Hello,

I know how to set up a collision box for objects in 3ds max with the phys proxy tools.

But how can I have the object itself being the collision box without having to build one myself?

Just asking because I have a relatively simple object and I don't want to create everytime the collision box for it.

Is it possible?

Hope it is clear what I mean.

Thx for help!

Greetings Andr

Replies

• IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Turn on physicalize and set it to default in the material ID`s that your object is using. This is not recommended though, you should really use collision primitives...
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    Let me see if I understand this right...

Usually you need a multisub object material which you assign the normal material + the proxy material.
    To the collision primitives you assign the proxy materials and to the rendermesh you assign the normal materials (via material ID's)

But when you use 1 object you can#t assign 2 different material id's to only 1 mesh..
    Or you don't use the multisub but instead a standart material?
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    just change the checkerbox on your rendermesh mat to Physicalize and get rid of the proxy mat. But as ixenon said, it's a very bad idea.

Your shape might be a simple box, but it'll still cost tens of times more than a primitive box.