Home Technical Talk

please I need software creating geometry image

please
I need to know what are formats of geometry images?? and what are softwares and tools that give geometry images ?? how to save in computer ?with any format and extension??

thank you

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAFUQ.jpg did i just read?!?

Whats a geometry image
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    reem-akk wrote: »
    please
    I need to know what are formats of geometry images??

you either have geometry made up of vertices or you have images made of pixels, geometry images makes no sense!

and what are softwares and tools that give geometry images ??

I presume you're referring to 3D modelling packages, in which case you're referring to 3D Studio Max, Maya, XSI, Blender.

how to save in computer ?with any format and extension??

The most versatile format would be .obj as just about any 3D modelling packages recognises this format.

thank you

Hope that helps and I hope thats what you were asking :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Guys, stay on track please.

Reem - please try to reformat the question in less broken English, if possible. The way it's currently phrased really makes no sense at all.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If you need modeling software you don't have to pay for, try Blender
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    please
    I need to know what are formats of geometry images?? and what are softwares and tools that give geometry images ?? how to save in computer ?with any format and extension??

thank you

Greetings and Salutations;

Congratulations, you have discovered the internet.

Formats depend on what you really want to do with 3d model that you will create in 3d software.

For example:

.OBJ extension is what we use for transferring the 3d model between the 3d modeling softwares, If you want to plug the model in to a code there is a different extension for it. If you want to import it in to UDK I believe now they use FBX for it.

The ones that you will have to pay for are:

3ds max
    Maya
    XSI
    Modo
    Zbrush

The ones that you dont have to pay for are:

Blender
    Sculptris

And last but not least, Ctrl+S I believe is the command to save the 3d model you work on, in your computer. If its the first time you are saving, it will ask you to specify the location you wish to save. After that, you can spam Ctrl+S to save it in your computer.

Happy Learning. :)
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    please
    I need to know what are formats of geometry images??
    thank you

not that I want to poke a pin at the giant lolz balloon, but there is a slim possibility akk is genuinely looking for information on geometry images. it is perhaps a statistically small chance but in such a case i offer the fallowing links. for any further explination i direct you to the various egg-heads wandering about aimlessly....

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/hoppe/proj/gim/

http://opengi.sourceforge.net/index.html
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    **edit**

Damnit Gray! you just beat me!

**edit**
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    **edit**

Damnit Gray! you just beat me!

**edit**

heh, all those hours reading countless siggraph papers that i can barely understand given the vicious, merciless, ruthless, mathematics involved does occasionally pay of once in a while i suppose... :)
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    its a cool feature which is integrated into Mudbox

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPezIU0c4zc&feature=related"]mudbox_ear.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

some general explaining about it
    http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?vid=207
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    From what I understand (from a tech artist), geometry images are possibly being considered for LOD maps.

Could be interesting. I have absolutely no idea how this is generated, but I'm sure some soopr smrt guys on pc know. Mop, poop, or Bryce probably know.

TNO I think that's vector displacement which might be a completely different thing.
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    my bad then, thought that was meant with creating geometry images and using maps for storing the informations. (now I feel really stupid)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Each pixel is a vector point, it's all handled by some kind of funky algorithm that packs them neatly. Not very practical, really. Reduces memory overheads and is indeed more efficient, yes - but loses accuracy. I like how mip-maps can store mesh LODs.
  • reem-akk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thank for you very much ,I search for hiding information algorithm in 3d model during hiding data in its representation(geometry image) it is because geometry image contains details of geometry for 3d object so I need to know how can I get geometry image and understand the structure of it ?? and its formats ? what is the difference between it and jpg images?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    a jpg is just the final output chosen by the artist.
    the actual source of the jpg image is the 3d geometry created in one of the many 3D applications listed above
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is because geometry image contains details of geometry for 3d object so I need to know how can I get geometry image and understand the structure of it ?? and its formats ? what is the difference between it and jpg images?

hey i was right go figure...

@reem-akk

if you go to the link i posted http://opengi.sourceforge.net/index.html you can get the source and documentation. i assume the image output specifications will be documented in the manual. my guess is that you need 32bit float or 16bit half float. so you can probably use exr. 32bit tiff maybe a few others that support 32bit.

your going to have to read the english manual and have some good c++ skills, a solid under grad education in mathematics etc. but hey i have no idea who you are or how you got here. you could be some super genius who took a wrong turn on google. :\ so good luck. i don't think you will get much more help then that around here. you should try some of the game programming forums.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow..:poly122:

Thank you for PMing me to thank me for my post. You didnt really have to because besides two posts after the first, this thread just got interesting.

Today, we dont really go deep in to technical details of 3d Objects. The major ones that I use are the OBJ for 3d Object / file transfer between 3d modeling programs, and there is one that supports Unreal Development Kit, which is FBX. Like I said, it really depends on what exactly you intend to do with the 3d object before you determine what extension to give.

As for 2d Images, we use JPEG because it is what most of us commonly use. There are many people who use GIF extension for their turn table of an object in 2d graphic images, there are planty others 2d extensions that you can use like Bitmap and all.

But it is better to stick with JPEG.

If you are talking about Open Graphic Language, follow Grey's link.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stop trolling, stay on topic.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    lmao, oh polycount.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thank for you very much ,I search for hiding information algorithm in 3d model during hiding data in its representation(geometry image) it is because geometry image contains details of geometry for 3d object so I need to know how can I get geometry image and understand the structure of it ?? and its formats ? what is the difference between it and jpg images?

The algorithm is not in the image, the image serves as data for the algorithm - the algorithm reads the image and converts the data into a 3d mesh (or converts a 3d mesh into an image).

The linked paper goes into the specifics, but not entirely - you'll need some serious skills to reproduce it.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gray wrote: »
    Stop trolling, stay on topic.

I wasnt trolling by the way. =\
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Notice that his post was edited by Joshua Stubbles, Gray was the one trolling it seems.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Stop topic, stay on trolling.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You were giving off crap long after the fact that the topic was proven valid and he was looking for legit information. So yes, you were trolling.

Noors, drop it.

(moved topic to technical talk)
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not that I want to poke a pin at the giant lolz balloon, but there is a slim possibility akk is genuinely looking for information on geometry images. it is perhaps a statistically small chance but in such a case i offer the fallowing links. for any further explination i direct you to the various egg-heads wandering about aimlessly....

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/hoppe/proj/gim/

http://opengi.sourceforge.net/index.html
    oh wow, this is awesome.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    its very clever - kind of like those sculpty things in second life but actually useful (probably).

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding why this is any more use than a standard mesh format though - its still got to store the same data.

I guess it makes it easy to programatically change LOD by simply scaling the image - presumably with the proviso that the vertices are all arranged in order (eg a terrain) but then again it's not a massive mental exercise to subdivide a mesh or remove every other vertex on a standard mesh.

edit: read further
    there's a surprise - cleverer people than me have come up with uses that i havent thought of....
  • reem-akk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I search for hiding information algorithm in 3d model during hiding data in its representation(geometry image) it is because geometry image contains details of geometry for 3d object so I need to know how can I get geometry image and understand the structure of it ?? and its formats ? what is the difference between it and jpg images?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Noors wrote: »
    Oh ma bad Joshua, this thread is totally legit now the OP has post the exact same thing twice with no further explanations of what he wants.

Noors, geometry images have been explained in the subsequent posts following the OP's starter. Because it's something you do not understand, doesn't mean it's an illegitimate topic, requiring your contrived sense of humor, 20-posts into the thread. Now drop the issue and move on.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I think he wants to know how to make a geometry image.

as far as i know there's no means of creating such an image in any of the major packages or game engines - you'll have to write your own program for doing it and then one to deal with the results
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ that. It's an experimental concept. You'd have to invent your own algorithm to go with whatever image format you want, then write the renderer side code to go with it.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I search for hiding information algorithm in 3d model during hiding data in its representation(geometry image) it is because geometry image contains details of geometry for 3d object so I need to know how can I get geometry image and understand the structure of it ?? and its formats ? what is the difference between it and jpg images?

the biggest differences is that I think they are stored as HDRI images, so you can't see the full range of information with just a regular image viewer.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd expect that that is the case (unless you don't mind your points being restricted to 255 whole units in each direction from the rpevious point xD
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Slightly off topic, I wanna turn this topic in the opposite direction. Is there any way to turn a 3d render into a 2d vector graphic? Does Polycount support embedding any vector formats??
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    the post edits confuse me..
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Stop trolling, stay on topic."

@Joshua Stubbles

if your going to edit my post for "trolling" after i was the one who tried to help the guy, and not edit the posts that flat out poke fun at his english with no help at all, then you have not actually read the thread. :thumbdown:

half of the posts in this thread are off-topic/troll why don't you go edit all those to, and while your at it the rest of the board also?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gray, I said to let it be already. You posted nonsense after the thread was established as being legit. That is why your post was edited. I reprimanded Noors as well, as he's the only other person that did that. Get back on topic or don't post at all, period.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gray, I said to let it be already. You posted nonsense after the thread was established as being legit. That is why your post was edited. I reprimanded Noors as well, as he's the only other person that did that. Get back on topic or don't post at all, period.

fair enough. i see your point. i would just like to add my post validated the thread. and that trolling is not the same as posting nonsense. i posted nonsense for sure, :) but not trolling.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't get it, how is posting nonsense not trolling?
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't get it, how is posting nonsense not trolling?

i posted a "joke" about my confusion by this thread after trying very hard to help with the information i have. i have actually gone over the paper and the library some time ago. my post was not a cut at anyone or even directed at anyone. it was a funny joke in the context of the thread. posting things attacking other posters or trying to trash the thread in general is "trolling".

you could say that every off topic post is nonsense. but is that trolling? i don't think so.

poopipe wrote: »
    I think he wants to know how to make a geometry image.

as far as i know there's no means of creating such an image in any of the major packages or game engines - you'll have to write your own program for doing it and then one to deal with the results

i beleave there is example code in the openGI lib that creates and displays a geometry image. so that should be a good start.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I missed the unedited post, but it seems to me making a joke at the expense of someone's English skills = trolling. Not a polycount rule or anything, just my personal opinion.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Wouldn't Autodesk Photomodeler be what you're looking for? Taking 360 images of your item and then projecting them in a cartesian plane from the software? Or did I misunderstand?
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I missed the unedited post, but it seems to me making a joke at the expense of someone's English skills = trolling. Not a polycount rule or anything, just my personal opinion.

yea that's the thing it was NOT making fun of anyone and NOT makeing fun of akk's english skills. you can not see the post now so don't jump to conclusions. that sort accusation is nonsense. if the post was not deleted then you could make your own judgement.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7

HELP HELP!! I'm being oppressed! :)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    PC has become so serious recently. I miss the old times.
    I had the most terrible day and i can't even have a chuckle here without beeing reprimanded like a child.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    reem-akk: I highly encourage you to find a friend that can help you format your English so that it makes more sense to us. This tech is filled with vocabulary that can mean multiple things depending on the context. This means its very difficult for us to actually understand what you are specifically looking for.

Noors: we don't mind the fun over in GD. But in here people are actually trying to accomplish things. Your bit of fun while not a huge deal, is making the situation more difficult. We'd like to avoid that sort of thing.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 - this thread was in GD when he posted.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    well.. my point still stands, I'm not hammering anyone. Just clarifying the intentions.

I'll go ahead and lock this thread as its not going anywhere after this.
This discussion has been closed.