Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prayer Bridge, Modularity

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys! Here's a bridge I'm working on in order to learn modularity. When I am done, I am going to reuse the pieces to create something else (not sure what yet, but I'm thinking something along the lines of a courtyard). So far I have my model snapped together in UDK, and I am working on the textures. I am treating some parts of the bridge as props and packing them onto one texture sheet, but most of it is going to be using 2-way tiling textures. Everything will have diffuse and specular maps. My goals for this project: to learn modularity, Blizzard colors and style, and more efficient texture planning and reuse.

Concept by Blizzard:

6Ddjy.jpg

My color plan:

qWuah.jpg

In 3Ds Max (this was an early block-out - some pieces have changed since):

9ciAZ.jpg

Current modular pieces and props:

bhuB5.jpg

Blocked out in UDK. Still thinking about what I want to do for the surrounding enviro. I want to keep this pretty small with the final shots being close-ups on the building. Currently working on my lightmaps, as I still have plenty of lighting errors here. Also gotta fix the snaps on my little incense pillar, it is getting kinda covered by the rest of the building haha. The current terrain textures and water are placeholders:

bd6O9.jpg

Progress on some of my props:

3RM1m.jpg

Diffuse:

B9CFN.jpg

Specular:

aXjN4.jpg

Here's my original incense pillar texture, painted at 1024, in case anyone wanted to see a close-up of it.

BB8ZH.jpg

Incense pillar:

fmLce.jpg

Roof scrollie things and lantern, textures still pretty WIP:

oAzGF.jpg

Another prop I am planning to build for this project. For this particular piece I plan to create a high poly in Max and ZBrush. Concept also by Blizzard:

utcc1.jpg

The blockout/plan for my tiling textures:

935Wa.jpg

XdPZt.jpg

n3S6Q.jpg

yc8YN.jpg

For the next few days I will be working on my tiling textures and fleshing out the composition of the scene. Critique and comments on modeling, texturing, or anything at all is welcome!

Thanks!
Jessica

Replies

• S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Great choice of concept and I really like the color plan you have in mind. It's also awesome to see how your early work here is already a level above what you were doing as you finished your last scene! My only crit is that the blockout feels a bit different from the concept in terms of scale, though that could be a stylistic choice. Certain parts feel much smaller in the blockout whereas in the concept it feels more grand.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks S2Engine! I looove the concept too xD and also glad to hear my color plan is working. I am actually trying to match the scale of the concept, so I will take another look and see what I need to change. I also just noticed that the second level of roof is missing from my UDK blockout :x woops haha.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    So uh.....you get a job at Blizzard yet? Your stuff is crazy good I don't know how you're not employed there :D
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe Sukotto - I want one !! But my last enviro was not done in their style, so now the plan is to show them that I can. Colors are quite different than I'm used to, and some usual strokes and things I like to put in my textures I need to refrain from hahaha.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I love your style!

Definetly another sub. :)

Btw what happened to the pandaren brewery?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Seirei! The brewery is on a little hold, since school has started and I've got a couple new projects on my plate (this being one of them). But I may be able to use some of my textures from this project for that later :)
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Your texturing is always inspiring to see im still trying to improve my own painting but its been a rocky process.

Anyway, the scene is already very solid start! I know its a bit early to be thinking about it but itd be awesome to see you tackle a modular WoW themed city/village scene.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Ah always nice to see the workflow of the handpainting stuff, good work so far! :)
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Looking forward for this one!
    Subscribed again!
  • Bergerking42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bergerking42 polycounter lvl 10
    Really awesome, I have no doubt this will turn out incredible, following.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    These textures are amazing. How you do this?
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work as usual! This stuff is looking awesome, I'm digging the oriental theme. I can't wait to see more!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The more in process stuff you can share, the better! I love your style.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Really nice texture work, great start. Will be fun to see this develop!
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Those textures are sick. How did you do the dragon? I mean what's the process?
  • Boozekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, very nice work, truly. I really admire the textures.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    DAMN! Looking great already Jessica. Just keep going with this. Can't wait to see it finished.
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    ah this is great! Can't wait to see what you do with that dragon gong
  • TaylorMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    WOOOOOOOOOOT

This is sooo awesome !

T.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great!

Definitely like your style. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
    Hi,

This is my first post and your work is the first thread i have looked at...wow...beautiful work! I am curious though do you sculpt in ZBrush at all and will you ultimately create normal maps? Sorry I'm a noob to game texturing but not texturing in general. Keep up the awesome beautiful work. P.Pappy
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff Jessica :) Really diggin the colors so far.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hi,

This is my first post and your work is the first thread i have looked at...wow...beautiful work! I am curious though do you sculpt in ZBrush at all and will you ultimately create normal maps? Sorry I'm a noob to game texturing but not texturing in general. Keep up the awesome beautiful work. P.Pappy

Jessica tends just to hand paint everything in a painterly style, no sculpting, no normal maps.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jessica and I talked about this but I said I'm going to post it to her thread for others to read:

While you're reusing some geometry to build a complete asset, I challenge the idea that this is modular.

What is modular about this is what I've already said, you're split the asset (the bridge) up in to individual elements for texturing. That's just smart & efficient art creation. And, while that is the core definition of modular artwork, I don't see these pieces getting a lot of reuse.

A true test of whether or not what you've built is modular is to build something else out of it. Build the bridge you have now, then try and build something else that uses a good portion of your pieces here.

I reckon it would be a challenge to do so without creating 50% new pieces for that new asset.

Food for thought ;)
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beautiful work :D
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys!

dtschultz - Hmm, for the dragon, nothing special haha. I just did a line drawing of him - then started painting him in! I treated all of his forms like I would any basic shape, just thinking of light direction and whatnot.

poopsterspappy - Welcome to Polycount :] I am actually to go through the full high to low poly process for the dragon gong concept I have posted up. I will be using ZBrush for that. However, I will be keeping it low for the rest of the project, some of that due to time constraints. I have about 3 weeks left for this project, although I will probably continue working past the deadline to polish this for port.

WarrenMarshall - Here are some vids I recorded of my process, although I don't know how fun this will be to watch since it is in realtime speed xD: Livestream - If anyone has the patience enough to watch this and has critique for my process, I would be happy to hear.

Adam, challenge accepted >:] Here is my second building, a shrine. It is using all of the bridge pieces except for one (the short incense pillar I had textured from the last post), and I had to add 2 more pieces - a door plane and a tall pillar. I think I may also need to have 2 different types of floor pieces instead of one, because I want to use two different floor textures for this building.

uYax2.jpg

Speaking of textures, I really messed up with the plan I had :x haha . . . from what I understand, I can't actually use tiling textures on this project because the only thing that really matters is that the pieces are seamless where they line up with each other; therefore it would just make more sense for me to unwrap, pack, and texture each piece uniquely. Hooray for making more work for myself :P

Anyway, here are the tileable textures where I got them to before I realized my mistake. I can still use these if I chop them up some:

Wood Railing:

suhNt.jpg

Walkway:

q1HMf.jpg

Wall:

JvRfT.jpg

After I pack all the building pieces, I will get back to texturing. Another update coming, Saturday most likely. Critique and comments welcome!

p.s. Hmmm, after looking at that door plane I made, I think I should probably make it more interesting lol . . . will be adding geo to that haha, door knobs or something.
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    Very inspiring piece! I envy your stylized texturing skills :)
    A note for you modularity, you could possibly break the stairs in half and add more definition to their models. This method depends on the engine, but adds more detail without a hit to the memory.
    Untitled-1-3.jpg
    Also, you can use it for smaller staircase situations too!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thanks Serith, I completely forgot I needed to break up the stairs geo some more. Right now everything is really straight and boring haha. Thank you.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    here we go again.... more awesomeness!!! Also, just a thought... Your repeating textures don't have to go to waste entirely :) Sometimes I'll throw together a quick tiling texture and then slap it on the model, play with the 2d placement node in maya and then use the render to texture option in the hypershade. Now I've got a quick base to start with in photoshop. Sometimes it can be quite the time saver.
  • Helba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fell in love with your textures, really. :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica - awesome, thanks for that link! I'll check those out.

P.S. Next time HD video on YouTube or Vimeo would be better but I'll take what I can get. :P
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah I don't really know the best way to do screen capture stuff, haha, sorry for the bad quality >_<
  • MattFall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome Jessica, just like your last thread! Loving your hand painted textures, super jealous haha. Keep it up ! Portfolio bookmarked, Thread subscribed and ima go grab some coffee and watch all your Livestream videos :D
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Nice painting job there! Please keep all the textures this loose. It's going to read really nicely when the scene is all put together I think.

The building model is rocking. The silhouette is really reading nicely. Can't wait to see this all finished.
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Another one for the top banner eh?:)Thanks for sharing the Livestream Videos gonna go ahead and watch em now.Keep on inspiring us.
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Jessica Im so happy you accepted the challenge and proved Adam wrong. haha Any plans for cows in this one? ;)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Jessica, i'm loving these textures a lot! excited to see updates.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Truely inspiring work!
  • hathol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hathol polycounter lvl 6
    how have i not seen this yet. awesome as usual!

just checked out your livestreams also. when do you plan on doing that again? great to see your painting process.

oo, also wondering.. since your using a mac, how you go about 3dsmax and udk, do you just boot into windows? or have a diff computer? i've been debating installing both on my bootcamp partition but its annoying going back and forth.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    ok that 2nd building is pretty cool.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Wow.. You've made quite an improvement since you started with those fountains. I think you've got the modularity pretty much under control. Serith's got a good point but you could break up the tiling on those stairs further by creating three different stairs with about 3 steps on each. You can always mirror these as well so that the repeated ones won't look identical.
    Cool stuff!
  • Warotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh my god. that's so cool! very inspiring Jessica!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Why waste all those edge loops that don't define any silhouette on the roof and then skimp on the archway polygons? That's not a logical choice, its the arches that traditionally betray an environment asset, they are the form that should be prioritized.

I see this a lot. Spend polys on arches and spheres, ignore the OCD desire have clean flowing edgeloops on flat surfaces where it adds nothing to the forms ingame. You could accomplish that roof for 1/3 of the polycount and have plenty left over for the arches.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments guys :]

toxic_h20 - Maybe! ;)

hathol - I'm not sure when I'll be streaming again, I guess if people want it I could post here when I stream next? And I have two laptops (mac/pc) that I switch off working between with a flashdrive.

Goraaz - Thanks! The stairs and their sidepieces are actually one whole modular chunk, but I have split the steps into 3 different pieces in the texture; that is where I plan to add my variation. Does that seem ok too?

Kevin, haha, I had JUST finished cleaning up the roof geometry before I read your comment. I agree there were a lot of wasted tris before, leftover from the initial messy block-out. Thank you for the crit.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Holy shit, you really did take him up on that one.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    damn, keep up this amazing work, this is gonna be a great piece!
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Jessica, I'm very glad you posted those real-time videos.

They may seem boring, but they dispel the myth that art is done perfectly on the first try, and they prove that good art such as yours takes time, iteration, patience, and....HARD WORK!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter, bugo - Thanks!

tristamus - Haha, yes, they DO take a long time !! And a lot of trial and errorrr :poly142:

Anyway here is an update on my textures. Last few days have been pretty rough because I kept changing my mind about how to texture and uv. Initially I was going to use tileables, as I explained in my initial post, but then I thought I wouldn't be able to make tileables work so I packed everything onto a 4096 x 4096. Only to realize (thanks to some of my friends/mentors :)) that this was a pretty bad idea . . . so now I am back to my tileables and have figured out how to make them work with my uvs.

Roof, and another variation of floor (I wanted one without the rectangular stones lining the side). Seams still need to be fixed:

4wayfloor_roof_CLR.jpg

Here's how my other floor texture looks in UDK right now:

Ins81.jpg

Stone archway trim, and the rest of the space is going to be for my dragon statue prop:

dragon_CLR.jpg

Gold trim for the roof; stair step; wall:
    wall_stairs_gold_CLR.jpg

Currently updating all of these textures to my scene in UDK to see how they are working together. High poly for the Dragon statue also coming soon. Critique and comments welcome!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Your color work is fantastic!
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    Oh shiiii jess, this is making me excittededded!

Your getting faster I believe, lets aim for a lil less than 5 months this time ^__^.

Keep up the amazing work, I agree with Gannon.Your colors are BOSS!