Home Technical Talk

Once again, ATI Radeon Maya fail.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hey so my Maya was working fine, but then I wanted to do the unthinkable and play a game on my pc so I updated my driver. Now the uv editor is unusably slow when I try to marquee select some uv's. I have to wait like 10 seconds on a default sphere to select a group of uv's.

Does anyone know the magic Maya 2012 friendly driver for the Radeon 5850?

I'm going to go ahead and download all the previous drivers from this year and try them one at a time, what a pain. I'll post back if it starts working.

Replies

• bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, its hard to say, sorry to hear, I would switch right away to Nvidia if I had the possibility. Since I had many problems on Maya / Max with ATI's I switched and I never had any other issues.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    You can try to put some dlls from your previous driver directly inside the maya folder binaries. Maybe it can fix your current problems without needing to update/change the driver installed.
    On my laptop it's always the lottery when I update my drivers. :(
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    This happens with Nvidia too, just last year high quality mode in the maya viewport didn't work with a certain series of drivers released just before the 500 series cards, so if you bought one of those in a new system. there was no rolling back to a previous driver and you had to wait a couple weeks they fixed the issue.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Driver Sweeper+ Your old Driver.

(Just one guess, the game was Rage xD)
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    m4dcow wrote: »
    This happens with Nvidia too, just last year high quality mode in the maya viewport didn't work with a certain series of drivers released just before the 500 series cards, so if you bought one of those in a new system. there was no rolling back to a previous driver and you had to wait a couple weeks they fixed the issue.

Once > often. :poly124:
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Rage is the game that made my uv editor not work. So I tried installing the old driver on top of the current driver and it doesn't seem to do anything. Looks like ati ignores the install if it finds you already have a newer one, they don't actually make that obvious or throw a pop up telling you that's what's happening, but I can look in catalyst and the driver version isn't changing.

I'm guessing I will need to uninstall the current driver, boot into safe mode and install the old driver there. Windows only allows you to roll back one driver version which is not enough because I've updated the driver twice to fix the issue I was having with Rage. I guess if I install the oldest driver from 2011 first then I can just install each new one without the whole boot to safe mode as they will be incrementally newer.

I can't remember what order to do this in though is it?
    1. Uninstall driver.
    2. Boot in safe mode
    3. Run driver sweeper.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I finally got around to doing this.

1. Uninstalled driver through device manager clicked delete driver as well.
    2. Booted in safe mode.
    3. Had to uninstall driver again because even in safe mode it auto reinstalled as soon as the computer started, I hate that feature of windows.
    4. Ran driver sweeper ticked the box for ATI.
    5. Rebooted, now my uv editor works fine. No lag.

For those interested I can confirm Maya 2012 64bit and ATI Readeon 5850 works with
    11-3_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

I'm sure there's a newer driver that works as well, but that would take another five reboots to test. I also noticed catalyst control center didn't come with this driver so Maybe catalyst was part of the problem? I really wish there was an easier safer way to roll back drivers more than one revision.
  • jordanpierreag
    Thank You! I haven't tried your procedure yet but I trust you. I've been having the same problem with my 5870. It's driving me insane. I'll let you guys know if works out for me. :)
  • jordanpierreag
    I love you guys! I can confirm that 11.3 works for me as well! 10 second selection lag in my UV editor is gone like the wind! :poly142:
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if polycount can add a wiki page for working driver versions and max maya.
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Froyok wrote: »
    You can try to put some dlls from your previous driver directly inside the maya folder binaries. Maybe it can fix your current problems without needing to update/change the driver installed.

You wouldn't happen to know which particular dll files we would need would you?

[Edit] I should note that I was using v 11.11 when I made this post, but then discovered to my horror that it caused Mudbox to crash, followed by a complete display driver crash, if I tried to use the Blur tool for painting. As a result I rolled back to 11.7 drivers and now Mudbox works. Unfortunately Maya still has the UV selection lag, so if anyone knows the specific dll files that would be really helpful.[/edit]
  • Sputch
    Offline / Send Message
    Sputch polycounter lvl 18
    I just wanted to add that Malcom's fix worked for me as well. There were some hiccups with the catalyst installer giving some errors (couldn't find inf. file was one), but after going through it a couple more times and actually not using safe mode (don't know if that matters)my UV editor in 2012 is running the way it should, thank fucking god...and Malcom.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    For those wondering I recently tried the latest ATI drivers and they're still broken. Pretty lame, definitely buy nVidia if you are going to be using Maya these days.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    You can't install an older driver on top of a new driver. I tried it many times, you have to use driver cleaner first, then you can install an older driver. See my post above for instructions on how to do this... And your post is kind of freaking me out because it sounds like a virus wrote it.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Fancy freaking bot that one. Stole your previous sentences in an attempt of seeming human. Soon the robots will take over the world along with polycount T_T
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Froyok wrote: »

I should note that this method works. It's something that we figured out in the Marmoset thread (stickied at the top of this forum). With this method you can have your cake (latest drivers for *insert game*) and eat it too (driver dlls that don't break Maya or *insert other software*). I threw this together (it's written for Marmoset but works the same way with Maya).

574KB 1024x3600:
    th_Marmoset-ATI-Workaround.jpg

*See also.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks CKohl, I'll give that a try.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying this technique out now, should I put the .dll files in the bin folder so they are beside the maya.exe? It doesn't work by putting the correct .dll files int he bin folder. Is there some other place I am supposed to put them, the document is not clear.
  • Sculptaur
    Edit: Nevermind, looked at CKohl's image properly.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    It does not appear to work, I've put them in the root folder as well as the bin folder and I still have the slow uv selection issue. I will be rolling back my drivers as usual once I'm done playing Deus Ex.
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Yes you would place them in the bin folder to be next to the maya.exe.
    C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2011\bin

It worked for me to fix up my sluggish UV selection in the UV Texture Editor (went from 10+ seconds down to instant or maybe 1-ish second if I select a lot).

I'm running Maya 2011 x64 in Win7 Ult x64. I think the version of ATI drivers I pulled the dll files from was 10.8 (I'm double checking right now) and the .dll files themselves say they were modified on 8/4/2010.

-Edit- Okay I just tested downloading 10.8 (winvista/7 x64) and extracting from there, then replacing the current set of dlls in my bin folder with these new ones (date modified 8/3/2010 for some reason) and the performance is just peachy. Opened up a scene with 4 2048 textures and about 75,000 triangles and selecting every UV in the scene only had a delay of about 1.5 seconds in the UV Texture Editor.

Admittedly it is very much a trial and error method as you might have to try several driver versions before you find one that works.
  • Thewiruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    bugo wrote: »
    yeah, its hard to say, sorry to hear, I would switch right away to Nvidia if I had the possibility. Since I had many problems on Maya / Max with ATI's I switched and I never had any other issues.

Okay i feel the oposit! Never had anny issues with my HD5870->HD6970 but with Nvidia is another story! It feels like ATI works better then Nvidia when it comes to both Games and 3ds max!

I currently run a GTX580 but that card is history soon! Going back to ATI and probebly a 79xx card
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm, maybe Max is affected negatively by ATI drivers on a less frequent basis than Maya.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll give your exact driver a try, I'm running Maya 2012 and I can roll back to a specific driver version and it works fine, extracting the .dll files from that driver however do not work. I'll report back after trying 10.8
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so 10.8 totally doesn't work. In fact it fatal errors Maya as soon as it launches. I tried 2011 and 2012, both crash on launch until I remove the .dll files from the bin folder. When I have some more time I'll try some newer .dll files but right now I've got to head to bed.
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Ooh yikes. When I updated my drivers to 12.whatever Mudbox started giving me a fatal error every time I tried to use any of the painting tools (which is, you know, kind of important). I didn't try the dll method with Mudbox and just rolled back my drivers to 11.8 which is what I'm still using at this time.
  • BeatKitano
  • Sculptaur
    I use to have more trouble with nVidia... Not anymore though ://
    My drivers are 11.12, when I tried to put the 10.8 dll's in the Maya bin folder, Maya just instant crashed when you clicked on it. I might try installing the 11.8 drivers to see if it makes a difference.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay got it working with CKohl's trick. I had to use 11-1_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe but it's working. Awesome, thanks a lot CKohl now I don't have to roll my drivers back with each game.

Win7 64bit Ati Radeon 5850 Maya 2012 64bit.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    It's all a ploy to get us to invest in Quadro/FireGL cards... You know, the exact same hardware just with properly written drivers :)

I have a ton of issues with any of the latest drivers for my 5870. I've run into the UV editor, but also the viewport in general took forever just to select a mesh. My "fix" was to completely un-install the Catalyst Control Center and all of the drivers, then let Windows 7 install the default driver. I have no idea what Catalyst version it is but my device manager says it's driver version 8.850.0.0 from 4/19/2011. Maya and Marmoset (and all of my art apps) run great, and so does Starcraft II and the Diablo III beta. I've played some stuff on Steam and they run fine too.

Crossing my fingers I'll never have to update the drivers!
  • newestbie
    I have same problem. I have HD7770 card Maya 2011 64bit. I tried several ver. including 10-8 , 11-1 none of them worked. many times maya crashed even without opening