Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Dave Nolan - Environment Artist

Hey fellas,

Finally got my portfolio up and running, so I thought I would post it up. Some of the work has been posted here previously, but the portfolio has all the most up to date versions and such, so I thought I might as well post them all in a portfolio thread.

I'm currently a second year Games Art student at the University of Hertfordshire.

Let me know what you think, any improvements that need to be made (I imagine theres quite a bit, I'm not much of a web designer :) ) though I tried to follow as much advice as I could from the Wiki about portfolio sites and what to do/not to do.

http://davenolan.co.uk/

Cheers!

Replies

• SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    excellent work man!

only thing i would add is some breakdowns of your full scenes, show off some of the individual assets and textures.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Damn! Love it!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    great work, i agree show some breakdowns, textures, wireframes and such
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    Good work and it shows.

How much "extra" time did you put in outside of class requirements (roughly)? You obviously went the extra mile (or two).
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man, I love the hangar environment. Loooks liiiikkke.. an F-16? So sweet. Thinking of making it my desktop background. The lighting is sick. I'm VERY interested in seeing your textures for this model. Also, how did you approach this?

The tire marks on the ground are a bit much, but whatever, it works. And uhhh.. in the first photo, the bucket closest to the camera.. looks like it's floating. It's not meeting up with the AO or Lightmap you got there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good. Did you do every single thing in every environment? Every tree? The grass textures? The mountain backdrop too? You should explain what you made vs. not. Most people would assume a 2nd year student did not create everything in these shots.

You should include wireframes of a few key models, with triangle counts, and texture flats.

Your images aren't branded. Your name and website should be on every image.

Otherwise, looks great man. Good work.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE wrote: »
    Oh man, I love the hangar environment. Loooks liiiikkke.. an F-16? So sweet. Thinking of making it my desktop background. The lighting is sick. I'm VERY interested in seeing your textures for this model. Also, how did you approach this?

The tire marks on the ground are a bit much, but whatever, it works. And uhhh.. in the first photo, the bucket closest to the camera.. looks like it's floating. It's not meeting up with the AO or Lightmap you got there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

F-18
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Some pretty good stuff!
    I like the scene with the airplane and the hangar.
    Some critics to help:
    - You don't need a show reel section. A gallery is just enough for an environment artist.
    - For your resume, I would make an HTML version too, just to read it faster and Google can embed your text on the search engine.
    - For the contact section, I prefer to have HTML text than having an image. HTML text will also help you with the Google embed.

Good luck! :)
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    2nd year student? if this is indeed all your work, props man - stellar job

some schools are different then others, majority i would imagine have the work/assignments more widespread in order for you to get an idea of how everything works which is why i had to take a second look when i saw you mention only being in second year. But who knows, maybe you had prior knowledge and experience

anyways - like most have already said, you need some breakdowns for sure and toss up the names of the planes too : )
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Aha, thanks for all the tips guys. I will definitely look to add some texture sheets and such to the site, this is the first one I've built so I still have a bit to learn about presentation :)

This is indeed all my work, right down to the last grass texture. The only exception is the water, which is of course default CryEngine with some tweaks. I will be sure to add that I made everything (except water), to avoid any confusion.

My university generally does branch out in to various more widespread assignments, but I knew by the end of first year I wanted to do environment art, so I just knuckled down hard and concentrated on that, really. Thanks for the kind words though, very motivating, and I will definitely be looking to add some more behind the scenes type stuff to the galleries.

Also the hangar plane is an F/A-18 Super Hornet, and the float plane is a Cessna 206 :)
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Stop wasting your time and money at school and go get a job in the industry.

Great stuff.
  • Korrax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well done, Nice layout- Clean and simple like it should be. Love that scene and airplane.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Quack! wrote: »
    Stop wasting your time and money at school and go get a job in the industry.

Great stuff.

But that would put me out of a lecturing job, haha! :)

Great work Dave, Get cracking with the feedback above.

Looking forward to your extended project.