Home General Discussion

mojang and psychonauts 2?

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Hope something like this really happens!

Notch tweeted back to Rock Paper Shotgun that this is a serious offer.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah! Thats awesome.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Does notch have the cash to fully fund a project that big, I mean without putting his company in serious jeopardy if it flops?

Still, that's awesome.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Wild uneducated speculation, but it's worth considering that Double Fine is afaik staffed around making smaller cheaper, DLC games right now. They may be well prepared to make Psychonauts 2 on a smaller than typical budget.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    YES! I WANT THIS TO HAPPEN!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Does notch have the cash to fully fund a project that big, I mean without putting his company in serious jeopardy if it flops?

Still, that's awesome.

It's important to remember that while mojang has the millions, they do not have the big overhead of other companies, they can survive monthly on a tiny part of what they make from minecraft sales,

with still something like 10k sales per day and soon reaching 5 million sales.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Wild uneducated speculation, but it's worth considering that Double Fine is afaik staffed around making smaller cheaper, DLC games right now. They may be well prepared to make Psychonauts 2 on a smaller than typical budget.

I read in a Recent interview that they have the same staff numbers from Brutal Legend, just split into 4 teams (they never had any layoffs). Tim said the only problem is they have a lot of leads now.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    cool, i was hoping double fine might make some kind of sequel after they got the rights to psychonauts from majesco. i thought they might make a smaller xbox live game, but maybe now they'll do a full fledged sequel.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    sigh, lets make it HAPPEN! psychonauts 2 baby!
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like Tim just noticed the whole thing:
    Pxy18.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    fuck%2Byeah.gif

I have restore faith in humanity again
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    notch should be giving his money to the poor not throwing it around on games. People like him make me sick.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    frell wrote: »
    notch should be giving his money to the poor not throwing it around on games. People like him make me sick.

wh....what?

I'm not incredibly fond of notch or a fanboy, (hell I havent played minecraft in like a year) but your statement seems really weird.

A person's money is their own, if they choose to do a good deed with it that makes them a really good person, if they choose to do a bad deed with it, that makes them a bad person. If they choose to do anything else with it, that makes them a normal human being.

We all envy millionaires and what they can do with their money but this isn't sickening at all. :S

-

Anyway, this is cool to hear at least. :) I think Notch needs to go easy on his public relations though, it seems like the kind of thing that may end up being his undoing if he doesn't just take things a bit more seriously.

Never the less, it's great to see something like this spark. :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Oh dear, before we get even longer time-wasted posts concerning my post I must make it clear I was kidding lol

Any time theres talks of millions I always have friends from other countries speaking in vain about the persons wealth, THEY annoy me.

I think this is great. The major companies pushing out this garbage they call games is really getting old. We need fresh ideas that need money, not ideas that are created to make money.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I would pre-order $100 dollars today with no assurance tha game would come out if I they made a community early adopter support route like that open.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Any game that breaks the current mold is awesome in my opinion, and I'd love to see them get more financial backing. It is awfully said that psychonauts is so well received but it barely made any money. Anyone who has never played it owes it to themselves to try it out. Quirky platformer fun with a unique story, awesome humor, I miss games like that.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    As long as they keep Milla, I'm OK with this.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    JFletcher wrote: »
    Anyway, this is cool to hear at least. :) I think Notch needs to go easy on his public relations though, it seems like the kind of thing that may end up being his undoing if he doesn't just take things a bit more seriously.

That's what makes him so interesting compared to regular pr enforced companies, he speaks his weird mind even when his lawyers suggest he should not, and unlike someone like peter molyneux he hasn't managed to cause harm yet.

I think the best part about notch vs a publisher is that a publisher want to focus on making psychonauts as monetarily viable as possible, while Notch/mojang as a publisher are nearly almost purely interested in seeing a psychonauts 2 as developed entirely and singlehandedly by double fine, this is rare in the publishing world for various reasons.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    As long as Scott Campbell is involved in the art sign me up. I'll preorder the special limited helmet edition now.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Great, now I need new pants...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Surely, all Schafer has to do to get a few million for it, is to pitch it as, 'Inception:The Game'. I was watching that film and thought how the general premise would be so cool in a Psychonauts sequel.

P.S. We should totally have a Polycount Challenge where we repaint the textures in Psychonauts. Extractors exist for extracting the maps. I would love to play a nicer looking version.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry for the necro But second the request for a Doubly fine Psycho"nut" challenge!