Home Technical Talk

changing the model after texturing

khepa
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
khepa polycounter lvl 5
my model is symmetrical but the texture isn't. I have finished the model and texture using 3DS MAX. Now I need to change the model but I dont want loose the UV or re-texture it. any Idea or tips on this ?

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Check "Keep/Preserve UV", it's a small box near you modeling tools.

Or you can do the changes you need to, and rebake the textures form the busted model to the new model, and if you have layers, you can use this: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/remappsd

Regardless of tech, you will need to be careful, especially with major topological changes, not to mention, normal maps, best advice is to plan ahead next time since this process can cause more then it's fair share of issues.
  • khepa
    Offline / Send Message
    khepa polycounter lvl 5
    thanks Ace-Angel :) I tried the remappsd. though its a great script, but its not giving the result I want. maybe its because I need to delete the half of the model and reshape the lag/hand. then use symmetry to keep the model symmetrical. remappsd and max save uvw is using undeleted half to symmetry the uv and texture.so its giving me the same texture in the opposite side. my texture isn't symmetrical. ( basically the leg and hand was modeled to match the reference sheet. now in the rigging stage bones aren't matching the mesh. some part of the mesh is staying faraway from the bones !!!!! so i need to bring the mesh to fit in bone structure )
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I have a script that might be able to help, if your model is perfectly symmetrical.

Install and run the script.
    In the dialog box click initialize. This will pair the verts.
    Edit one side of the model with Perserve UV's checked.
    Select the vertices you edited then in the script window press Mirror.

The script won't work if you add or delete vertices.

MMorphs.gif

http://www.juantwo.com/scripts/Martinez_Macro_MirrorMorphs.zip

I'm sure you know now, but always ask for the bone structure before you create a model. ;) Unless there is no bone structure yet.
  • khepa
    Offline / Send Message
    khepa polycounter lvl 5
    you are a Monster !!You rock!

I love you script. its working perfectly. one think I need to know, will it create any type of issue in skinning(like mirroring skin weight) or in the game engine like unity or IOS. this models will be used in game not in cinematic.
    I also start to use your "Who's My Quad?" script. its also great ! maya has this option to select non quad. now I found it in max ! thanks :)
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    (not to be a smartass, but max's graphite tools have that quad functionality too)

Grabbed the Mirrormorph script though, cheers monster! And also, great tip, Ace-Angel. Wonder wether it'll work with TS normal maps as well.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I thought Max 2010+ had both Symmetry and Select Quads/NGons/Tri's in the Graphite Ribbon tools? Or did I misunderstand something on what these tools can do vs. the graphite ones?

TS Normal Maps are a totally different beast, I don't think you can bake them correctly through texture transfer (in Max at least), but xNormal does have the option for this, although my results where somewhat...weird to say the least.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    transferring TS normals to different UVs won't work right - I'm pretty certain (as in my eyes agree) that you're fine if the shells don't change because that won't affect any of the complicated maths stuff eg, you're repacking or combining several maps into one.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Cool, looks like the "Symmetry Tools" in the Ribbon do the same thing as my Mirror Morph script. In my defense, I made my tool for 3ds Max 5, at least 6 years before Max 2010. It has an eerily similar workflow too.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    Haha, figured so, no need to defend yourself, I'm sure those peeps who don't have dime for Max 2009+ or Polyboost will be most grateful for your scripts ;p