Home Technical Talk

I keep getting texture stretching and pixelated brushes

Hello,

I decided to register and post here because I have been googling my problem and this forum is the first to come up... but I still don't have a clear view of things.

I'm currently learning how to use mudbox and try to find a comfortable workflow between it and 3ds max.

I'm creating my base meshes in max and making the UV's accordingly, however... when importing into mudbox, I get some texture stretching and the brushes leave pixelated marks even at level 6-7 :wise:

I'm trying to go with the workflow of:

Low poly base mesh with UV's in max
Sculpt and paint in mudbox
extract maps and whatnot
Back to max and maybe to game engine

Here's a couple of screens showing the problem:

Base mesh and UV's:
CNjuJ.jpg
Mudbox:
5hUTb.jpg
any help would be greatly appreciated...

Replies

• tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    I see that your UV's are RIGHT on the edge of the 0 to 1 space. Try giving some room to every side of your UV Islands....don't have them touch the edges of the box like that.

If that doesn't work, then I might guess it is something to do with your base mesh itself, but I couldn't be sure what.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    the non- square nature of the faces wont be helping but i suspect this is down to the unwrap - you didn't just do a planar map and then lay it out did you ?
  • andrewe1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus wrote: »
    I see that your UV's are RIGHT on the edge of the 0 to 1 space. Try giving some room to every side of your UV Islands....don't have them touch the edges of the box like that.

If that doesn't work, then I might guess it is something to do with your base mesh itself, but I couldn't be sure what.

I did scale down the UVs a little bit, didn't help though.

poopipe wrote: »
    the non- square nature of the faces wont be helping but i suspect this is down to the unwrap - you didn't just do a planar map and then lay it out did you ?

The mesh is too simple, I just unfolded some parts and did some quick planar maps on others.

Maybe you can take a look at my OBJ?

http://www.2shared.com/file/2_XyP0nk/arc.html

it's exported with mudbox presets.

Also, smooth UVs inside mudbox didn't help :(

thanks for your replies
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not going to mess with downloading it. I avoid wierd download links and it's probably has some stupid timer on it or tries to trick you into downloading some BS software you don't need, I wish everyone would use dropbox...
    /rant

For the texture stretching:
    It looks like you have some UV's that are really close to each other possibly even sharing the same pixels you need to move one edge away from the other.

For the pixelation while sculpting:
    That's normal you need more subdivisions. You might want to subdivide some of the bigger quads in your model before importing it. Just to make sure the size of all the quads is a little more consistent.
  • andrewe1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not going to mess with downloading it, I started to and the 3rd screen had a "wait to download" timer and I said fuck it. I hate that crap, I wish everyone would use dropbox.
    /rant

For the texture stretching:
    It looks like you have some UV's that are really close to each other possibly even sharing the same pixels you need to move one edge away from the other.

For the pixelation while sculpting:
    That's normal you need more subdivisions. You might want to subdivide some of the bigger quads in your model before importing it just to make sure the size of all the quads is a little more consistent.

sorry, here you go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40673285/arc.obj

Not sure what you mean about the uv's being to close to each other, you mean like stretching the edges on the outline of the arc?

Wouldn't that stretching...umm...........cause even more distortion?

Thanks for your help
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Wouldn't that stretching...umm...........cause even more distortion?
    If you over-stretch them. Find the Goldilocks-zone that isn't too squished and isn't too stretched.
  • andrewe1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    If you over-stretch them. Find the Goldilocks-zone that isn't too squished and isn't too stretched.

Like this?

Before:
    skgLj.jpg
    After:
    SOL2Y.jpg

It sort of helped....not that much though.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    its hard to tell because of the compression on that image but it looks to me like you've got overlapping UVs or sub 1 pixel sized faces in your unwrap.