Home General Discussion

Internships and unpaid work

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
Hi all, I've been trying to get into characters as a junior or even intern but have been struggling for a long time now. I'll cut straight to the chase, I'm not a pro by any means, but I'm working on improving myself as much as I can. I wondered if game companies would actually consider taking on someone for a short period of time, say 1-2 months, (unpaid work experience) to see how they would do in a production setting and, following a good performance, would then hire the intern as a junior. I don't want to go bothering the HR departments of these studios if it doesn't seem like a good idea to enquire about it, but just thought I'd see what you guys thought.

I've been working in QA for a long time now but really want to get into development, even if it involved me working on 30 rocks a day! Be good to hear what you guys think, thanks :)

EDIT: Just saw there's a 'getting into the industry' sticky already up, doh! Shoulda read that first XD

Replies

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been trying to get into characters as a junior or even intern but have been struggling for a long time now. I'll cut straight to the chase, I'm not a pro by any means, but I'm working on improving myself as much as I can. I wondered if game companies would actually consider taking on someone for a short period of time, say 1-2 months, (unpaid work experience) to see how they would do in a production setting and, following a good performance, would then hire the intern as a junior. I don't want to go bothering the HR departments of these studios if it doesn't seem like a good idea to enquire about it, but just thought I'd see what you guys thought.

I've been working in QA for a long time now but really want to get into development, even if it involved me working on 30 rocks a day! Be good to hear what you guys think, thanks :)

Get a copy of Unity Engine and work on your own stuff. You can sell your work on the asset store and make some money while building your portfolio.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey Ryan, funnily enough I was actually looking at Unity the other day for presenting work, etc. I'll take a more detailed look at it this weekend, thanks!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya unity can be good for selling assets and small games but for presentation purposes i would go with UDK or mamorset toolbag, sine they got way more rendering power behind them.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    No one is going to pay someone to improve themselves, and even an unpaid internship costs them money - computer, software licenses, power, floorspace, etc. Get over the notion that there is some way to sneak in other than improving yourself.

If you have time to spend on an unpaid internship, you've got time to spend on self-study. You have to treat self-improvement as a job - you need to keep regular hours, regular schedules, and put in real work. If you really need the motivation of someone else telling you what to do, try doing self improvement via contests to have some deadlines, or set some deadlines yourself. Post daily progress to hold yourself accountable.

Here's the major issue with your attitude - you are saying you really want to get in as a junior, and you'll even make rocks. Meanwhile, the other applicants are at home making stuff.

There are no words in the English language that express passion more clearly than doing real work. Anyone who has time to talk about how much they want something is someone who is not working on achieving those goals. No amount of desperate pleading or searching for some Magic Opportunity is going to yield actual opportunity - the people with those opportunities will extend them to the folks who have spent their time demonstrating ability rather than asking for a chance.

Redouble your efforts. You feel you have enough time in your schedule for an unpaid internship. Take that time and devote it to interning at Philip Mehr Studios.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I hate to sound blunt, but Jr. Character artists can be resource drains.

Heck when I started I've had to ask for help every 15mins, on a volatile pipeline and would frequently crash the game. I've also spent countless hours (lost weeks of my schedule) to helping out juniors debug their issues, or simply get them to follow basic documentation.

Character Art pipeline's are brutally expensive now, and very taxing schedule-wise.
    Having the additional responsibility of getting a junior up to speed with the tools, pipeline, and debugging methods just isn't in the cards for many studios.

ESPECIALLY if the quality of your work alone isn't up to the standards set by the leads and seniors.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    It all depends on the studio though. If it's a smaller studio with low standards then it's ok to hire "less talented" interns, juniors or whatever. I would recommend improving your portfolio though because the studios that hire juniors have a lot of people wanting these positions and only the best will be able to get them.
    Never expect the studio to help you improve, It will probably happen but it's better to meet them half way.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah improving your own skill to the point you can match a professional level is the only way to do it. Right now I think you're portfolio pieces are not up to the bar, you don't have any visually stunning pieces. Why? You're stopping half-way calling it done.

Heck, I'm no character artist , I just do 'em for fun but

The Beastman needs proper presentation: Lighting, mood/atmosphere, maybe a small pedestal. If you still don't get a decent result maybe it's the design that needs to be more interesting.

You've got a lot of sculpts, you'd be better off taking some of them and making them into proper model busts. The whole process, texturing and lighting them.

There are three main areas in 3d-art generally:
    - Artistic and creative work that overshines its' lack of technical difficulty
    - Really technical work that gets you the wow omfg-effect.
    - Both of the upper.

Sooo right now you don't shine in neither of these two, if you're gunning for something I'd go for creating something really artistic and creative. You can always learn the technical stuff, but being a creative and artistic individual is a whole other thing.

Being in QA is hard and tedious work, you should ask yourself if this is helping you on your path to becoming a character artist. I mean would a better paying job with no overtime leave you with more time than your QA-job? I don't know, but maybe you should think about it. Might also be worth it trying to get into another art-field, like environment or props.

Next thing after you up your skill, is to make proper contacts within the industry. People will generally recommend you when you're good enough, even if you know them well. Recommending people that might not be able to get the job done will make them look bad, keep that in mind :)

And good luck! :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Thanks all, the replies were really helpful and informative, its cool to know I can get some good advice here :) I'm actually going to be working a lot on improving my stuff, asap. I'm sure others with the same question will find this pretty helpful too. Anyway enough rambling from me, gotta get on with stuff :D nice one!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    If you're looking for experience I would recommend mods and indie games. Make your money however you need to until you can break in.

100%.

Not all character artists are exclusively character artists either. If you can get a position as a junior environment artist, you're already in a much better position to get where you want to be later down the line.